It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Are these MS symptons?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2003, 08:03 AM   #1
    Clare123

Clare123 HB User
    Question Are these MS symptons?

Hi everyone

I am 47-year-old female and I was diagnosed with MS in 1991. Since then symptons have generally been confined to chronic back stiffness, loss of power in legs and unsteadiness (especially going down stairs or on uneven ground).
    Two months ago my upper arms started aching all the time and I get shooting pains with certain movements of upper arms. Mobility is very restricted Ė eg I canít raise my arms above shoulder height. I canít sleep on my side because itís painful to rest on my arms. Iíve also developed a very stiff neck and dull aches down spine from neck to below the shoulder blades. Sometimes when I'm sitting at the computer/reading, my neck muscles feel weak and it feels as though my head needs propping up.
    My GP thinks the pain in my arms could be the result of overcompensating for weak legs eg by hauling myself up stairs or out of chairs/bath. He thinks the neck/back ache could be RSI from keyboarding Ė which is my job.
    Over the last month or so Iíve had acupuncture, mobilisation, sonar therapy, magnetic waves, traction Ė all give very temporary relief. Painkillers have little effect.
    All these symptons may have nothing directly to do with MS but Iím worried that they might (Iíve got an appointment with a consultant rheumatologist next month). Is there any one out there with experience of these kind of symptons in the context of MS? Is there anyway of telling whether or not symptons are from MS? All comments gratefully received

Happy New Year!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread