It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Results of Cervical Spine MRI - what do they mean?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2004, 02:51 PM   #1
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
    Results of Cervical Spine MRI - what do they mean?

Hi there,
    I have been diagnosed with MS through an MRI of the brain and all of the evoked potential tests (still waiting on the spinal tap). My doctor ordered an MRI of the Cervical Spine. I was able to get a copy of the report before I saw my doctor. The MRI was done at a place owned by my mom's friends. So they give us copies of everything. But they were too busy today to sit down with me and explain the results as they have done in the past. I'll be seeing my neurologist in february, and have put a call in to his office as well to discuss the results with him, but maybe somebody here can help me interpret them. This is what the report says, verbatim:

---------------------------
    Findings: Cervical spine alignment is unremarkable. There is no evidence of any significant-appearing degenerative change in any levek if the vervical spine. The spinal canal and neural formina are patent at each level.

There is a focus of elevated T2 weighted signal centered at about the C2/3 disc space level, occupying much of the central aspect of the cord, perhaps a more extensive dorsally than ventrally. This is not associated with any mass effect.

Slightly more caudally, at about the C5 level there is a focus of elevated T2-weighted signal in the vental aspect of the cord, just to the right of midline. This is also not associated with any significant-appearing cord swelling.

Incidental note is made of patches of elevated T2-weighted signal in the dorsal aspects of both the pons and the medulla mostly dorsally and to the right of midline.

Also incidentally noted is bilateral jugular chain adenopathy as well as bilateral submandibular adenopathy. To a lesser extent there is bilateral posterior chain adenopathy. The largest nodes are in the submandibular regions bilaterally. The largest of these is on the right, measuring just under 2cm in long dimension and about 8.5mm in short axis.

Impression: Foci of T2 weighted signal dorsally within the cord at about C2/3 and the ventrally to the right of midline at about C5. In this patient, these likely represent foci of demyelinating disease. The foci of elevated T2 weighted signal in the brainstem described above are likewise most likely to represent foci of demyelination.
    ----------------------------

OK, I understand that the demyelination means MS. But what does adenopathy mean? I have enlarged lymph nodes?? I'm confused and a bit worried that this is more than MS. Why are my lymph nodes enlarged? Is that part of MS too?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread