It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Vitamin A Overdose?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2004, 08:37 PM   #1
    can't_function

can't_function HB User
    Vitamin A Overdose?

A!
    Been having great results with all the vitamins I'm taking. After a few days of vitamin A. I'm out of my wheelchair, about 10 ft, 12 days so far with wheeled walker, Exciting!! I would really appreciate some info on safe amount to take. No lawsuits involved. Presently taking 4-5 capsules a day. 10,000 IU each.
    Possible side effects so far headache dizzy nausea not sure their the cause.
    Hard to tell if the effects are from the A since my M.S. is at such an advanced stage.
    Thanks Rhawn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2004, 03:07 PM   #2
    Kristine1976

Kristine1976 HB User
    Re: Vitamin A Overdose?

Well, it's good to hear about your amazing results. You must be feeling wonderful right about now! Let's hope it continues. Here is an excerpt from an article about vitamin A which I'm sure you'll find useful. I've also heard a lot about the benefits of vitamin D towards the immune system and those dx with MS but in order for vit. D to metabolize in the blood stream, you have to take 800mg of calcium and magnesium daily. All of these vitamins need to be taken cautiously as an overdose can cause major complications! Hope this helps. Take a look.......
    ~~~ Kristine

How It Works
    Vitamin A plays an essential role in night vision and proper growth and maintenance of the skin, bones, and reproductive organs. Vitamin A is stored in the liver. Sufficient Vitamin A absorbtion will occur if Vitamin E is taken with it.

Range and Frequency
    For severe vitamin A deficiency: 100,000 International Units (IU) daily for three days, followed by 25,000 to 50,000 IU daily for two weeks, then 10,000 to 20,000 IU daily for two months. To prevent vitamin deficiency (recommended daily allowance)-- Adults: 3,330 IU daily for men, 2,665 IU daily for women. Children ages 7 to 10: 2,330 IU daily. Children ages 4 to 6: 1,665 IU daily. Children ages 1 to 3: 1,330 IU daily. Infants: 1,250 IU daily.

Special Concerns
    Vitamin A can be highly toxic (see Overdose) when taken in high doses. Take only as directed.

Overdose Symptoms
    Acute overdose: Bleeding from gums, sore mouth, confusion or unusual excitement, diarrhea, drowsiness or dizziness, double vision, severe headache, irritability, peeling skin, especially on lips and palms, severe vomiting. Chronic overdose (with prolonged overuse): Drying or cracking of skin or lips, bone or joint pain, fever, general feeling of discomfort, increased sensitivity of skin to sunlight, increased urination, loss of appetite, hair loss, stomach pain, unusual fatigue, yellow-orange patches on soles of feet, palms of hands, or skin around the nose and lips.

What to Do
    For an acute overdose, call your doctor, emergency medical services (EMS), or the nearest poison control center immediately. For symptoms of chronic overdose, contact your doctor.

Drug Interactions
    Consult your doctor for specific advice if you are taking etretinate or isotretinoin.

Food Interactions
    No known food interactions.

Disease Interactions
    Consult your doctor if you have a history of alcohol abuse, liver disease, or kidney disease.

Serious Side Effects
    No serious side effects occur with recommended doses of vitamin A (see Overdose).

Common Side Effects
    No common side effects occur with recommended doses of vitamin A.

Less Common Side Effects
    No less-common side effects occur with recommended doses of vitamin A.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by can't_function
    A!
    Been having great results with all the vitamins I'm taking. After a few days of vitamin A. I'm out of my wheelchair, about 10 ft, 12 days so far with wheeled walker, Exciting!! I would really appreciate some info on safe amount to take. No lawsuits involved. Presently taking 4-5 capsules a day. 10,000 IU each.
    Possible side effects so far headache dizzy nausea not sure their the cause.
    Hard to tell if the effects are from the A since my M.S. is at such an advanced stage.
    Thanks Rhawn

Old 04-08-2004, 10:12 AM   #3
    can't_function

can't_function HB User
    Re: Vitamin A Overdose?

A!
    Karen
    Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my question.
    The info you passed on is great. Helps to clear up a few worries.
    Take care.
    Wrahn

Closed Thread