It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• experiences, zanaflex side affects, will the body adjust?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-14-2004, 03:01 PM   #1
    Mara

Question experiences, zanaflex side affects, will the body adjust?

I've been on this a few wks and am due to increase (road to theraputic level). I awoke to bouts of chills that kept happening until late morning, flu like and the kidneys have been working harder (full bladder, urgency, medicine odor in urine) every day now since starting it and will have doses increased. I'm pretty sure these are side affects.

Will or is it possible the side affects calm down or go away? Can that lead to urinary infection? Does the body eventually get used to it or are the side affects something that's a trade off? Is there something the doctor can prescribe to prevent the kidney from overworking or am I grasping?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2004, 03:55 PM   #2
    Jewel2
    Inactive

Jewel2 HB User
    Re: experiences, zanaflex side affects, will the body adjust?

Hi Gemi,
    Here are the side effects of Zanaflex. Painful urination is listed. I think you need to call your doctor soon. Keep in mind that this is a drug you cannot just stop taking suddenly - you have to taper.

I hope you feel better soon!
    Julie

Side Effects of This Medicine
    Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.

Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur:

More common
    Fever; loss of appetite; nausea and/or vomiting; nervousness ; pain or burning while urinating; sores on the skin; tingling, burning, or prickling sensations; yellow eyes or skin

Less common
    Black, tarry stools; bloody vomit; blurred vision; chills or sore throat ; coldness; convulsions (seizures); cough; dry, puffy skin; eye pain; fainting ; irregular heartbeat; kidney stones; seeing things that are not there; unusual tiredness or weakness; weight gain

Other side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. However, check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:

More common
    Anxiety; back pain; constipation; depression; diarrhea; difficulty in speaking; dizziness or lightheadedness, especially when getting up from a lying or sitting position; drowsiness; dry mouth; heartburn; increased sweating; increased muscle spasms or tone; muscle weakness; pain or burning in throat; runny nose; skin rash; sleepiness; stomach pain; uncontrolled movements of the body

Less common
    Difficulty swallowing; dry skin; joint or muscle pain or stiffness; loss of hair; migraine headache; mood changes; neck pain; swelling of feet or lower legs; swollen area that feels warm and tender; trembling or shaking; unusual feeling of well-being; weight loss

Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your doctor.

Old 05-15-2004, 06:25 AM   #3
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User
    Re: experiences, zanaflex side affects, will the body adjust?

Hi Gemi!

I was on zanaflex and experienced exactly what you're feeling. The urinary pain became suddenly so intense I could not get up off the couch. I had to wait for a long period before I could even move my body due to the pain. It was unbearable and it affected my ability to urinate: Urgency and hesitancy. It was the zanaflex. I notified my physician. A low, low dose of 2 mg seemed okay.

Hi! I'm back to edit and add more info as I saw your post on the eye muscle spasms explaining that you'll be having nerve tests shortly and will need to back off of the zanaflex. You'll notice that the urinary symptoms will resolve once you do back off. Have you called your doctor yet?

Last edited by californiasunflower; 05-15-2004 at 07:00 AM.

Closed Thread