It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Multiple Sclerosis and other health problems!!!!!!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-21-2004, 04:35 PM   #1
    hangetsu

hangetsu HB User
    Multiple Sclerosis and other health problems!!!!!!!!!!

Hi i am posting this message on the behalf of a very close friend who is having major health problems and is currently suffering from a condition no one can identify, can anyone help???

The patient is currently liveing in Nottinghamshire in the United Kingdom, she is suffering from Multiple Sclerosis and Hypothyroidism.

5 yrs ago she developed dihorrhoea, with no apparent causes, samples that were grown showed no abnormal bacteria, the dihorrhoea is extremely frequent , lasting sometimes 14days +, she was admitted for overnight rehydration, sygmoidoscopy showed 2 areas of inflamation of approximitly 20mm, no granulation or diverticulus was found.

Dihorrhoea is now continual, liquid and offensive, the patient is now suffering from incontinent, the inflammation only affects the descending colon, and covers all of the descending colon.

Professors in England have no idea why it's happening or what it is???

Is there anyone who can help???

Anyone who could give us any imput would be great...

You can contact me at [ removed ]

Last edited by moderator2; 08-21-2004 at 04:54 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
    Jewel2
    Inactive

Jewel2 HB User
    Re: Multiple Sclerosis and other health problems!!!!!!!!!!

Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear your friend is having this problem. It is not uncommon in MS. It is good that her doctor ruled out other possible causes. Hopefully it will not last too long. Sometimes exacerbations can last several weeks, but hopefully your friend's is much shorter.

You are a good friend!
    Best wishes,
    Julie

Old 08-23-2004, 10:41 AM   #3
    Jewel2
    Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

What about Irritable Bowel Syndrome? Has her doctor checked into that? Just another thought. Hope your friend is doing okay.

Regards,
    Julie

Old 08-23-2004, 12:09 PM   #4
    Leanne R
    (female)

Leanne R HB User

I have started to research on the connection of thyroid and MS and there are some that think that MS is simply the result of an under treated thyroid gland that causes neurological symptoms. The thyroid and adrenal glands control everything. If your adrenal glands are exhausted then your thyroid gland won't work properly and that is the centre of metabolism which happens in every cell in the body including nerve cells.

I think it makes sense that MS can be down to a metabolic problem that shows itself with neurological symptoms and should therefore not be considered as a neurological disease but a symptom of metabolic deficiency.
    It's all very interesting it would be good to hear you thoughts on these theory.

L

Old 08-24-2004, 04:25 AM   #5
    Leanne R
    (female)

Leanne R HB User

Me too, My family both have MS and Hypothyroid too.
    I am not saying that MS and hypothyroid are the same thing but some MS patients have found their symptoms have stopped/improved when they take thyroid medication. I'm just wondering if MS is a symptom of metabolic disfunction that presents itself with nerve damage.(that's what Roger Mcdougall believed). I think people with MS should get their thyroid and their adrenal glands checked for good measure to see if there are any abnormalities. I'm not saying it is neccesarily the cause but I bet there is a connection.

We think of MS as this disease of the brain and nervous system but what that is a symptom of an imbalance with metabolism. I am no doctor but have been reading things and it seems to have logic. The body turns on itself when it is not got what it needs. That's why numbers are going up along with cancer/food allergies/thyroid.......pollution, processed foods too much sodium, pesticides etc Our bodies have not changed for ten's of thousands of years yet we have totally changed our enviroment so the body can't work under these terrible conditions....I think that some of us are more at risk to being affected by these diseases then others.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:37 AM   #6
    sunshine149
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine149 HB User

Leanne, this is an interesting theory, MS as a metabolic problem, I have MS and also Type I Diabetes and there are many studies looking into links between the 2 diseases. Diabetes being a metabolic disorder. Type I is brought on by the immune system attacking healthy issue. Personally, I have always thought that my MS was a long term complication of Diabetes. Before diagnosing MS, my thyroid was continually under suspicion but nothing ever turned up from tests.

Old 08-24-2004, 05:14 PM   #7
    Leanne R
    (female)

Leanne R HB User

They say it is common to get more than one auto immune disorder...why would that be unless they stem from a similar malfunction.
    I really suggest you guys read about metabolic disorders as I recommend going back to a hunter gatherer diet which did not include processed food, refined white sugar (Dairy and Gluten can be added to the list)
    I eat totally natural now....no rubbish or added sugar, after many years of falling off the wagon back onto sugary treats and processed foods and then giving them up and going back to them again I can say 200% I have little to know symptoms when I eat well (It takes a while though to take effect)I eat fresh organic veg and fruit and I juice them up in them mornings, I eat chicken and fish, and sweet potato instead of normal potato (which I find makes me soo drowsy) I eat beans and lean meat etc all with no added sugar salt or preservatives. It takes a bit of work but it is worth the effort.

Please go and see a naturopath or nutritionist if you can who is a believer in cutting out these foods for auto immune/metabolic disorders.

I also take: Bio care One a day (2 of them)
    Solgar Chelated solamins (4 a day)
    Chromium100ug, potassium (low dose 99mg but I was slightly deficient) and L-tyrosine 500mg and selenium 200 ug (I think)
    These have been crucial to my slow but gradual recovery. I have probable MS (nothing showed up on my MRI) and I have an underactive thyroid My aunt has MS and my mum and all her aunts have hashimotos..my dad and his family have diabetes and high cholestrol. I imagine I will always be pre-disposed to these illnesses and have to stay on the straight and narrow to keep my head above water as when I waiver the symptoms come back with force.
    Also if anyone smokes please give this up for a start as this made me soo much worse.

I think the reason neurologists can't understand auto-immune diseases like MS is because they are merely looking at the damage and not the cause, it's like a dermatoligist trying to treat the rashes caused by scarlet Fever. I would be really interested to hear if anyone else has improvement sticking rigidly to this type of diet

Enough of my ranting Good luck all.

L x

Last edited by Leanne R; 08-24-2004 at 05:15 PM.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:09 AM   #8
    sunshine149
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine149 HB User

Leanne, Thanks for the diet information and reminder that it works. I've also had good luck cutting diary and gluten out of my diet but have been lax in that lately! In addition to those supplements, I recommend a fish oil supplement as well with Vitamin E to balance it out...

Old 09-05-2004, 09:42 AM   #9
    HIS ANGEL

HIS ANGEL HB User

Leann R.
    The link between the two is that they are autoimmune dieases. I have autoimmune thyroid diease. I also suspect that there is still something else going on, as I still have many unresolved symptoms that are seen both in thyroid disorders and MS. It is true that if you are found to have 1 autoimmune diease that you are at higher risk of having/developing another. They also tend to run in families, and can present as many different dieases.

I have had both MRI's done on my brain and spinal cord. Different thoughts with different doc's. Not always does having your thyroid under control mean that every thing is right in the world. Believe me, I know. I have been on many different levels of thyroid hormone, per Endo, vitamins, B 12 shots, antidepressants you name it. No help. I really don't care what they find out is wrong with me as long as they find out. Living this way is total hell. I never really have a good day. Now I am going through this thing with dizzyness and nausea. Comes and goes, but is almost unbearable at times. Currently off of work due to having surgery on my foot in July. Don't know how I will cope when it's time to go back.

Old 09-15-2004, 04:20 PM   #10
    Leanne R
    (female)

Leanne R HB User

It is so hard when you are undiagnosed, I know believe me I have been to hell and back trying to convince Dr's that I am not crazy.

Boards like this are really helpful though because you know you are not alone and there are mny people like yourself going through the same thing.

Good luck I hope you find the anwser soon.

Leanne

Old 09-21-2004, 07:38 PM   #11
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HIS ANGEL
    Leann R.
    Now I am going through this thing with dizzyness and nausea. Comes and goes, but is almost unbearable at times. Currently off of work due to having surgery on my foot in July. Don't know how I will cope when it's time to go back.
    Hi! How are you doing since this last post? Dizziness is a symptom of the MS but, in your case with recent surgery could it be related to that and/or any medications your taking in the recovery period?

Old 03-07-2005, 08:40 PM   #12
    Moon Rising
    (female)

Moon Rising HB User

sO HOW DO YOU TREAT A THYROID GLAND?

Old 03-07-2005, 10:17 PM   #13
    Jewel2
    Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi Moon and welcome.

It depends on what's wrong with the thyroid. If it is underactive, usually a synthetic thyroid hormone replacement is taken. If it is overactive then iodine is used. This is super basic. If you need more info about this, there is a thyroid forum here, too.

Take care,
    Julie

Old 03-08-2005, 12:08 AM   #14
    barchin
    Inactive
    (male)

barchin HB User

I find this very interesting as I have Hashimoto's, but my Dr thinks that I may also Have MS. Dumb question.... Is it possibul that really "bad" low thyroid may be dx as MS?

Old 03-08-2005, 08:44 AM   #15
    Jewel2
    Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

It's not a dumb question at all. Some of the symptoms of a thyroid problem can be very similar to MS symptoms, one of them being tingling. Another is extreme fatigue.

It wouldn't be unusual to have both MS and Hashimotos - they are both an autoimmune disorder. Is your thyroid being properly treated?

Take care,
    Julie

Closed Thread