It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Optic Neuritis (what is it)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2005, 08:10 AM   #1
    WOBBLEY
    (female)

WOBBLEY HB User
    Optic Neuritis (what is it)

I think I have Optic Neuritis because my eyes bother me and I'm very unstable when I walk. I've been dx with MS since 4/05 and have been on Rebif ever since. Does anyone know if there is something that can be done for my eyes so that I won't be so unstable or is Rebif it? I can deal with all the other problems I have but I hate always feeling dizzy and unstable. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
    KelliD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

KelliD HB User
    Re: Optic Neuritis (what is it)

My understanding is that Optic Neuritis is basically inflammation of the optic nerve. I have a friend who has been through O.N. For the life of me, I can't recall what the treatment regimen was...but there WAS one...and yes! By all means..you SHOULD talk with your doctor, neurologist or neuro-opthalmologist about it. Don't let it go!

Old 06-12-2005, 09:42 AM   #3
    WOBBLEY
    (female)

WOBBLEY HB User

Thank you Kelly for your response ... does anyone know what the symptoms are for Optic Neuritis. I'm not sure if I have it. My Dr. is 7 hours away and I don't feel like driving to see him everytime I have a question and he is very hard to get on the phone. Thanks to Healthboards I've had alot of my fears and questions answered.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:36 AM   #4
    sunshine149
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine149 HB User

It doesn't sound like ON, it sounds like nystagmus. ON is characterized by vision loss in one eye (blurry, light sensitive, pain behind the eye and when moving the eye) the treatment is steroids. Nystagmus is charaterized by a jerking in the eyes that can cause dizziness and instability. THere is no treatment for nystagmus.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:52 AM   #5
    Lisa_P
    (female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

ON is usually a short-lived inflammation clearing up in a matter of weeks with or without treatment. At least that's my experience-- I've had Optic Neuritis three times. The manifestation can be a little different each time.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #6
    sunshine149
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine149 HB User

Lisa, I was wondering over how many years did you have the 3 bouts of ON? I'm having my second round of it right now, the first time was 8 years ago when I was DX'd.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:48 AM   #7
    Lisa_P
    (female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

I had it once in 1990, but it went away on it's own after a week (which is how long it took to get to an opthalmologist!). My vision returned and it was like nothing had happened. Then in 1991, it was bad. Again I got in to see a doctor after about a week and he immediately put me on prednisone. I went almost totally blind in my right eye. My vision took a very long time to return that time. Even after 5 years I was still color blind on that side. My childhood "lazy eye" returned with a vengence. It was just getting back to "normal" when BAM! ON hit my left eye again in 2002. This time there was no pain. (Before it was like a knife stabbing through the back of my head right into my eye. It really felt like I'd find a knife there if I just felt around with my hand.) Because it happened gradually over a matter of days and there was no pain at all, I honestly thought I was going blind. Then I finally got referred to a neur-op at one of the best hospitals in the area. It took a couple of months, an MRI, and a lumbar puncture, as well as testing of my cognitive efficiencies before I was told it was MS.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
    fancycanelady
    (female)

fancycanelady HB User

Hi All,
    I've never heard of ON coming and going. I've had ON for 30 years running - I lost most of the sight in my right eye when I was 20 (am 50 now), and cannot use prednisone because of an allergic reaction to it. I see my neuro-optha on a regular basis and he says it's progressive because of the MS.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:56 PM   #9
    Dazee2100
    (female)

Dazee2100 HB User

What is it?

its a pain in the A** lol

I get bi-lateral optic neuritis...which most only get it in one eye or the other.
    Blurry vision, eye pain...oh lord it makes my eyes HURT..to move them side to side or up/down. Color blindness, and at the onset..i loose vision usually in only one eye. Partial vision. Like I will stare at someones face and only half of their face is there...sounds weird yes i know..lol

My Neuro does IV Sterioids..as letting it clear up on its own can take weeks/months.

My left eye has permant damage...since the last bout..i have never fully recovered my sight.

Well there ya have it...my definition of optic neuritis. lol

Dazee2100
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-14-2005, 05:27 AM   #10
    WOBBLEY
    (female)

WOBBLEY HB User

Thanks everyone for your response. I'm wondering if other people with MS have a problem with their eyes (it is my left eye) bouncing around? This causes me to be dizzy & unstable. I am better now, two and half months ago I couldn't read very good (made me too dizzy). The Dr. made me think that it was because of the MS and very normal, now I'm wondering if I might have Nystagmus. Anybody else with the same problem?

Old 06-14-2005, 05:54 AM   #11
    KelliD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

KelliD HB User

Yes. When I saw the neuro-opthalmologist, he got all excited because he saw nystagmus..and he wanted to show his intern. My problems with it range from dizziness (that can be impairing!) to impaired vision and behind-the-eye-pain. It's my understanding that Nystagmus is common with MS.

Your doc may view this is a "normal" part of "MS," but honey..it's not "normal" in the true sense of the word! I would encourage you to remember that you pay your doc for his/her services...press for the answers you need until you are satisfied and have peace of mind.

I told every single one of my doctors (and there were many in the beginning) that I am pro-active about my health and they should expect me to arrive in their office with my questions and concerns type-written and expecting answers or direction as to where I might find out the answers. They all seem appreciative that I bother to do that...and it does expedite the visits and helps us both focus on what to do next.

Old 06-15-2005, 10:25 AM   #12
    sherrih
    (female)

sherrih HB User

be carfull !!! call your dr. if you start loosing any vision . When my on started the dr. said it was my decision if I wanted the steroids and I turned them down . I wish I didnt now ive been left with perm. dammage to my eyes. GOOD LUCK

Closed Thread