It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• does anyone have weird sensations in the face?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2005, 11:41 AM   #1
    djpihavems
    (female)

djpihavems HB User
    does anyone have weird sensations in the face?

I am having occasional bouts of dizziness / weakness. The waves are sometimes accompanied by strange pulses of tingling in my face - mostly cheeks and lips. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I went to the neurologist, and asked if it could be vertigo, but he was vague.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
    Sound Guy
    (male)

Sound Guy HB User
    Re: does anyone have weird sensations in the face?

When First Diagnosed with MS the whole half of my face was numb,and vertigo was the side effect of that.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
    susanmkemp
    (female)

susanmkemp HB User
    Lightbulb Re: does anyone have weird sensations in the face?

Hi,

Thats how I first started, back in March 2003 I had no sensation to the right side of my face, thought I was imagining it, it only felt pronounced when I applied moisturiser. Shortly after I had a brain scan privately and then 3 more, they found a lesion of the medulla part of the right side of my brain stem, did not know if it was an ischaemic incident or what. I was well for 18 months. Then I went blind in my left eye, 1 week in hospital and lots of int5ravenous steroids brough 80% of my sight back. I went on holiday abroad and the heat killed me, I was like a walking zombie then I woke up on second day feeling dizzy and disorientated - this lasted for 7 weeks. In September I was diagnosed with MS and in February this year started Beta Interferon therapy. I suffer bladder problems, parasthesia severe fatigue and heat related symptoms, but the drugs are keeping me as well as can be allowed.

Sue

Old 06-28-2005, 02:08 PM   #4
    KelliD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

KelliD HB User

Good heavens yes!

In fact, I have a full page of type-written notes to go over with him re: these facial sensations. We believe the signs point to a form of trigeminal neuralgia, which can accompany MS. Vertigo has been part of the problem.

Are you using any meds to help with it?

Old 06-28-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
    Natatude
    Veteran
    (female)

Natatude HB User

yeppers i have that too,,, my neuro has never actually said vertigo he just tells me it is normal with MS i swear i wouuldn;t know half of what the symptoms of ms were called if it wasn;t for this place.

Old 06-28-2005, 06:46 PM   #6
    blueslvr53
    (female)

blueslvr53 HB User

I also have alot of facial things going on. Numbness and tingling. Sometimes a little, sometimes alot. Also get it in my lips. And then again sometimes its a burning feeling. Been getting dizzy alot too. No dx yet....abnormal mri but everything else neg including lumbar puncture. Im learning to live with it. No meds seem to help. Anybody with any suggestions? Deb

Old 06-29-2005, 08:43 AM   #7
    djpihavems
    (female)

djpihavems HB User

Thanks, Kelli.
    Yes, I take Copaxone. I have had MS for years, but have never had these symptoms. I was hoping maybe it was unrelated, but I guess it's pretty common. Why do we have doctors if they don't recognize this stuff? My neuro just smiled pleasantly at me when I suggested vertigo. He gave me an anti-dizziness medication (fancy Dramamine,) and sent me on my way. He told me to take it if I felt like it. (I didn't feel like it, so I didn't take it.) Now, I'm annoyed. A $40 co-pay for nothing!

Good heavens yes!

In fact, I have a full page of type-written notes to go over with him re: these facial sensations. We believe the signs point to a form of trigeminal neuralgia, which can accompany MS. Vertigo has been part of the problem.

Are you using any meds to help with it?

Old 06-29-2005, 08:46 AM   #8
    djpihavems
    (female)

djpihavems HB User

Let's all start charging $500 an hour!!!!!!!!!

yeppers i have that too,,, my neuro has never actually said vertigo he just tells me it is normal with MS i swear i wouuldn;t know half of what the symptoms of ms were called if it wasn;t for this place.[/QUOTE]

Old 06-29-2005, 09:45 AM   #9
    Natatude
    Veteran
    (female)

Natatude HB User

yeah we should,, then we could afford to have MS lol

Old 06-30-2005, 12:53 PM   #10
    BANKMELON
    (female)

BANKMELON HB User

You say you have burning sensations, are they inside the mouth or just on the skin outside................??
    I am bothered by a constant burning on the inside of my mouth around my lips... (among other things)...
    Side of mouth seems to water easily.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:08 PM   #11
    djpihavems
    (female)

djpihavems HB User

no, not on the inside. mostly on the cheeks. it has crawled a bit higher today, toward my eyes. i broke down and called the neuro to start a series of IV steroids. 5 days. YUCK.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:10 AM   #12
    dwgraham
    (male)

dwgraham HB User

I occassionaly shiver. My jaws just start shivering, I'm not cold and I it hursts my jaw to clench down and stop it. It comes and goes.

Dg

Closed Thread