It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Guillain Barre Syndrome

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2005, 10:57 AM   #1
    Mickey32
    (female)

Mickey32 HB User
    Guillain Barre Syndrome

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well today. I have a question and was wondering if anyone has ever been tested or feels that they should be tested for Guillian Barre Syndrome. After doing a lot of research, I have found that some of the symptoms from this syndrome are very similiar to MS...numbness, blurred vision, difficulty swallowing, muscle weakness, to name a few. I have also read that this Syndrome can be associated with Lupus, which is what I actually think that i have and not MS. In order for a diagnosis a person must have abnormal CSF protein for their spinal tap, but it is possible to still have this syndrome even if the protein level is normal. I am wondering if I actually have this because the symptoms I have or have had also seem to fit this syndrome...numbness or tingling in feet, current back pain, muscle weakness, blurred vision, and difficulty swallowing. Well, I am interested to hear other peoples opinions on this. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
    kchs1
    (female)

kchs1 HB User
    Re: Guillain Barre Syndrome

The Thing Is Mickey, All Of The Illnesses You Mentioned Are Auto-immune Related. Thats Why It's So Difficult To Dx Which It Is Exactly.

You May Have A Normal Lp Result And Still Have Ms.

Blessings And Best Of Luck To You As You Go Through The Probable Dx Stage.

Kch-s

Old 08-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
    gyrl293
    (female)

gyrl293 HB User
    Re: Guillain Barre Syndrome

Hello,
    I woke up one morning numb from the waist down, they thought it was GB. However it is prob. MS, after they looked at my cervial MRI. Yeah most of the symptoms are the same however there is one big difference. GB is life threating if not treated .....basicly most people end up on a resporatior if they are not treated quickly. GB move quickly and does not stop in one spot(ex. your legs) Plasma exchange, and antiviral meds are given as a form of treatment. Most of GB symptoms will return to normal over time, however some may last much longer and require Physical therapy to help return to normal function. GB is very scary things must move quickly .... Hope this helped

Mari

Closed Thread