It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• anyone with recurring UTI's & a personal question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
    Rorie
    (female)

Rorie HB User
    anyone with recurring UTI's & a personal question

One of my problems is recurring urinary tract infections...and I now suffer from some kidney problems which is thought to be because of these infections. First of all, does anyone have any advice on how to prevent these infections? Secondly, I have a more personal question relating to this. Being intimate with my husband seems to trigger these infections or at least the feeling that I am going to get an infection (I don't always actually develop an infection). I can see how this could be a big problem! Anyone else have this problem and what do you do about it?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #2
    Sharon Grace
    (female)

Sharon Grace HB User
    Re: anyone with recurring UTI's & a personal question

Hi Rorie! When I started taking my injections for MS a few years ago, it took just a couple of weeks to start getting UTI's every week. Ouch! It was horrible. I tried the cranberry juice, but you would have to drink gallons of it to help. A nurse told me about cranberry pills. They are high concentrate cranberry and SAVED MY LIFE. They work because of something in them that doesn't seem to allow bacteria to cling to the bladder walls. I take them every day and have been UTI free for a few years now. Go get some today. Any health food store has a variety to pick from, most supermarkets have them too. Also, I did some research on UTI's and sex. Here goes: because of the way we women are built, intercourse can send a load of bacteria into the urethra to cause a UTI. Best advice they give is to get up and urinate right after sex. It helps wash the bacteria out -pushing them out instead of letting them in. Not terribly romantic if you want to cuddle, but worth it. I would do anything to avoid a UTI Hope this helps. It did work wonders for me. Best of luck - Sharon Grace

Old 08-24-2005, 12:10 AM   #3
    Teri A
    (female)

Teri A HB User

Yes, I have the same problem with sex and then either an infection or the feeling of one coming on. It is very depressing sometimes. I am trying the cranberry pills right now, just started them today, so we'll see. I wonder if it's my husband I am allergic to or what? I was having infection after infection, plus alot of pain. Had a hysterectomy last winter and everything was fine until June. Since then it's been one uti after yeast infection after another. I am trying not to take antibiotics anymore becuz it causes thrush now.. I have been trying to change my diet which has helped some, but don't think I can live on water and vegetables forever....I am feeling a little low right now becuz I have fallen off the wagon for the last week, we travel for work and it's impossible to eat right all the time. Will check back on this thread. Good luck

Old 10-17-2005, 06:02 PM   #4
    srdavid
    (female)

srdavid HB User

Rorie, I have had similar problems with two years of UTIs seemingly to follow intercourse every time! My primary doc sent me to a urologist who determined that I have a bladder that no longer emties completely. With the diagnosis of a "neurogenic" bladder, my primary doc is having me go through the complete mri study to see if I have ms. Since I am 51, it seems unlikely, but who know? If you have recurring uti - ask to be referred to a urologist! You don't want one of these to damage your kidneys! Good luck to you! rsdavid

Old 10-19-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
    ginmor
    (female)

ginmor HB User

I am the queen of urinary tract infections. Have had them for years. My doctor gave me macrobid (an antiobiotic) that I take therapeautically. I take one with a full glass of water after having sex and it works. But I ran out and I have a bad one right now. So bad, that I got a fever and back pain with it. Also I take garlic and I never get yeast infections from the antibiotics.

I also heard that vitamin e prevents infections also but I got tired of taking all those vitamins and quit. Probably why I got the infection.

Closed Thread