It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Bruising and "Tuning Fork" sensation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-21-2005, 07:15 PM   #1
    fancycanelady
    (female)

fancycanelady HB User
    Bruising and "Tuning Fork" sensation

Hi all,
    In the past few weeks, I've noticed these big bruises on parts of my body - completely unexplained. They don't hurt, but are nasty in color and last for at least two weeks at a time. One on my outer thigh, one on my outer arm and one on my inner ankle. Anybody get these? Also, I've read other posts that speak of the "tuning fork" sensation, but do not recall if anybody has had that occur in their head. If so, please let me know. I'm constantly feeling that part of my head to see if "there's anything crawling around"!! Making me a little (more!) nutso!
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2005, 03:54 AM   #2
    lilc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lilc HB User
    Re: Bruising and "Tuning Fork" sensation

Nasty bruises, yes! On my thighs and upper arms. It is an occasional thing, but I do get them, am always trying to figure out what I whacked into! I do know that sometimes I get fierce itching and have scratched myself to the point where I bruise terribly, but sometimes the bruises just show up.
    The tuning fork thing has only happened in my spine, a variation of the vibration that comes and goes (more "goes" since I've been on neurontin).
    Aside from being a "nutso" who looks beat up, how are you doing? :-)

Old 08-22-2005, 06:53 AM   #3
    fancycanelady
    (female)

fancycanelady HB User

Hi Lilc,
    I too have done the scratching thing, but these latest bruises came out of nowhere. Especially the one on my inner ankle. Can't really bang that spot, but the bruise really is unsightly! I posted to Kelli regarding her question of electrical shocks, in that now I've been getting them in my lower leg (knee down) preceded by a very painful spasm, so I'm still on the cane. So, other than looking beat up, feeling my head all the time, limping around and jolting/jerking from the shocks, I'm doing great! How 'bout you?
    What exactly does the neurontin do for you? I'm still considering all meds as I do not see my neuro until Oct., and would like to know all of my options! Thanks!

Old 08-22-2005, 07:09 PM   #4
    cshellz
    (female)

cshellz HB User

Hi Ladies...
    Just jumping--er wobbling in here. The bruising--yes yes yes!
    I've had a problem with them for a few years---joke that my parents did not name me "Grace" for a reason! But in reality--I did not know how I got them and was embarrassed. I've even had a problem I call "spontaneous bruising" that seems to affect fingers, hands, toes, feet (tops) & occas. legs and inside arms. I'll get a pain--sharp occas hot feeling. If you look at the area you can see a blood vessel (blue) getting bigger that you didnt notice there before. D/H has even watched it happen while we were watching TV: Doesn't matter is you're active or resting--just happens. It hurts for a while (like 10 minutes) and then bursts: after, it still hurts but less, more like after you've hit it on something.Tried elevating area before the "burst" or using ice-- Drs have no ideas--I was even at rheumatologist office once and had one (start to finish) and had him watch--(nice to have a knowlegable witness, I thought---sigh) Tho fascinated--he said he had no clue what how or who.... They happen alot for weeks then go away for weeks, like a storm?
    Now that I am having sooooo many other sensations on my body: its hard to decide if what itches/stings/"crawls"/shocks etc is worth stopping what Im doing at the moment and look or just move along. But yes, more bruises--tho lately more clumbsies too.
    Also noted lately in a few books (ie the MS diet book by Swank) in his description of sx of MS he included unexplained bruising!!!
    As to the tuning fork sensation, I call them "buzzies"---The can also be a sx of menopause as well as some AI diseases. Actually most of my symptoms can be from numerous things--thus ">>>...I AM A LIMBO PERSON!!...<<<"
    (TAH TAH TA DUMMMMM )
    Anyway ladies--glad we have this site to vent and compare stuff--makes life a bit easier and less scarry. thanks for listening....

Old 08-26-2005, 03:39 PM   #5
    BANKMELON
    (female)

BANKMELON HB User

I have had the "tuning fork" sensation in my chest...........sort of between my shoulders in the middle... it comes and goes.......I call it purring............. but I have the constant feeling like someone is stretching the muscle from my ear to my collar bone on the left side, not really painful, but annoying.....and when I get tired or at the end of the day,,, I get a little horseness...
    which goes away.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:44 PM   #6
    lilc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lilc HB User

Funny, there was a while where I had a constant, pulsing vibration in my lower back. One night a cat was sitting in my lap purring and I realized that my back was purring too, even after the cat left!

Closed Thread