It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Menstrual cycle effects...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2005, 05:08 PM   #1
    curious11
    Inactive
    (female)

curious11 HB User
    Menstrual cycle effects...

So after about a year of no period after coming off of Depo Provera (birth control shot), I finally had my period starting on Friday. So now I have to wonder if my seemingly worsened symptoms are due to my menstrual cycle. They both came on at the same time. What is everyones experience with the two? Any correlation? And if so... at what point do worsened symptoms get better/ back to normal? Thank you in advance for the information!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2005, 10:42 PM   #2
    Sharon Grace
    (female)

Sharon Grace HB User
    Re: Menstrual cycle effects...

Welcome back to the wacky world of monthlies! I had a hyst. about four years ago so I don't have to deal with periods, but I still remember how much worse my MS symptoms were every month with my periods. I don't know if it was the stress of painful periods or something to do with the hormone levels (or both) but I have heard from other women that their MS gets worse with monthly cycles too. Perhaps your neuro or gyn can give you some advice on how to cope. Best of luck! Sharon Grace

Old 10-21-2005, 05:26 PM   #3
    Filipinone
    (female)

Filipinone HB User

Curious...

I am following your shoes. I've been on Depo off and on for about 16 years, and in May I took my lost shot. I've still haven't gotten a regular menstrual cycle.

I'm 32 years old and was diagnosed June 04 with MS; however I told my neurologist that I didn't want to start taking Avonnex since my MS symptoms are mild and that I wanted to start thinking about having a family.

I just had my visit to the OB/GYN and they are sending me to a radiologist for a bone density test. I've noticed that being off of Depo I've had more energy, and dizziness. But I am with you, I don't know if it's being off the MS, or the Depo....

What MS medication are you on?

Lisa

Old 10-22-2005, 03:49 AM   #4
    LisaB123
    (female)

LisaB123 HB User

Hi Sharon,
    Just reading your comments and since my "symptoms" have gotten worse and there is no doubt in my mind that here IS something going on with me; so have my PMS...I get extremely painful cramps right before I get my period. They make me have to go lie down as I can't do anything else for the approx. one hour that it takes for them to come and then they are gone. I thought it was ovulation but now its one day b/4 my periods... Have you experienced this too or do you think these are prob. just woman changes? I am 39....Thanks for any insight, guess this is all new to me but facisnating to read so many others with the same symptoms I've been going through..sad but true.
    Thanks Lisa

Closed Thread