It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Here is what my MRI read.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2005, 06:54 AM   #1
    fall
    (female)

fall HB User
    Talking Here is what my MRI read.....

What do you all think?
    it reads: Thoracic Spine MRI. Magnetic resonance imaging of the thoracic spine was obtained demonstrating preservation of the disc space height and vertical vertebral body height throughout the thoracic region without evidence of spinal stenosis or disc protrusion. The signal intensity from the thoracic cord appears uniform. Following gadolinium contrast agent administration, there are subtle areas of increased signal in the lower thoracic region in an area where there is moderate pulse artifact from the heart. It is unclear whether these are real or artifactual in nature. The findings are subtle. Transaxial imaging of the thoracic spine demonstrates no definite focal abnormalities within the portions of the cord included.
    Impression: Subtle signal changes seen only post gadolinium contrast agent administration, possible artifactual and related to cardiac pulsation artifact. Definite plaque of the thoracic cord is not identified with certainty. Follow up imaging may be helpful.
    NOw all you experts out there, WHat in the HO Ha does this mean? Does this mean the weakness in my legs and falling are actually related to this? Does this mean its not all in my head? Please if anyone has any input please let me know. Also. Brain MRI normal Cervical MRI it read There was loss of cervical lordosis. What does this mean?other than that everything else is normal. If anyone can decifer any of this please let me know. SOrry so long.
    Katiina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
    lilc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lilc HB User
    Re: Here is what my MRI read.....

OK, I'm NOT an expert. But if they've been telling you your symptoms are all in your head, sounds like they will at least want to do more tests now.
    Don't know what "artifactual" means, nor do I know what "lordosis" is. You might try googling for those terms!

Old 12-26-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
    lilc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lilc HB User

I did the googling for you. Lordosis is spinal curvature, sounds like the radiologist thinks your neck is a little too straight. The "artifactual" stuff isn't real clear, seems it may have a specific meaning when referring to medical imaging, or it might mean the radiologist is not sure whether or not he is seeing anything.
    My guess remains, they will want to do more tests!

Old 12-27-2005, 11:49 AM   #4
    Jewel2
    Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi,
    I'm not a medical professional, but in my experience with my daughter's, my own and my husband's MRI's, "Artifact" means a false reading due to one of many reasons. It sounds like the radiologist thinks that the increased signal intensity is due to a false reading, perhaps from the way your heart pulses. If the radiologist thought it was MS related, he would have written something to the effect that the "increased signal intensity is due possibly to demyelinating disease." I didn't see that in your report.

That said, I think it is important that a neuroradiologist read MRI's if MS is suspected. They are much better trained to look for signs of demyelination.

Best wishes,
    Julie

Closed Thread