It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Neurontin Side Effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
    vkhowll
    (female)

vkhowll HB User
    Neurontin Side Effects

Does Neurontin/Gabapentin cause anyone out there, who is taking it, to be hyper. When I first started taking it a year ago it caused me to be very drowsy buy now after I take it I found that I can hardly sit down. I am constantly cleaning my house.

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2006, 04:36 AM   #2
    StephanieAnne
    Veteran
    (female)

StephanieAnne HB User
    Re: Neurontin Side Effects

No hyperactivity here, the only problem that I have are these little red bumps on my right hand, some on my fingers and some on my palm. They are annoying but that's about it.

I would like some hyperactivity how much Neurontin do you take a day?
    Maybe I should up mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
    purfik
    (female)

purfik HB User

My neurologist started me on neurontin for restless leg syndrome. It has worked wonders with no side effects. I take it 2 hours before bedtime. I haven't slept this good in 12 years. I've been on it for 2 months . Even seems to calm my MS symtoms.(Maybe it should)

Old 02-22-2006, 07:04 AM   #4
    curiousforever
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

curiousforever HB User

nope. I think it at first caused me to be sleepy.

if you wanna clean....my house could use a good one!

Old 02-22-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
    vkhowll
    (female)

vkhowll HB User

I am on 300mg 2ce/day. When I first started taking it I would only take it once at bedtime because it made me sleepy. But my dr put me on ambien Cr because I have insomnia, so I was afraid to take it at night. Now I take it in the mornings and in the late afternoon. The neurontin has done wonders for my pain and mucsle spasms but if I forget to take it I start having alot of pain in my left arm. The numbness gets so bad I can't take it. But the only side effect that I have now from the medicine is hyperactivity. I am not complaining. I just thought that it was an odd side effect.

Kim

Old 02-23-2006, 05:48 AM   #6
    lilc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lilc HB User

I've been taking neurontin for about 8 months (with a month off in the middle - I thought I didn't need it any longer, but had lots of pain and numbness!) It doesn't seem to make me sleepy any more, but I sure wish it got me motivated to CLEAN. I did notice that I had a stretch of strange, vivid dreams about two months into using it.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #7
    tspetz72
    (female)

tspetz72 HB User

I currently take 400mg 2 in the morn, 2 in afternoon, 1 in the evening and 1 before bed. So far, the only thing I have experienced is when I first started them they made me sleepy but now they keep me awake, but I force myself to fall asleep.

Teresa

Old 08-13-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
    sleepycincy40
    (male)

sleepycincy40 HB User

I need recommendations...I've been on neurontin for one week (600mg) and although I was drowsy after the first dose, I can no longer sleep at night.

The medication has lessened the burning and sharp pain associated with my (non-diabetic) peripheral neuropathy but now it is interfering with my sleep pattern.

My rheumatologist says that he cannot prescribe ambien or trazodone "because I may need them chronically."

What options do I have?

Last edited by sleepycincy40; 08-13-2007 at 07:10 AM. Reason: typo

Old 08-15-2007, 05:55 AM   #9
    Natatude
    Veteran
    (female)

Natatude HB User

about 5 yrs ago,, when I started copaxone,, i cleaned my house 24 hours a day,, it drives my hubby insane,, I can't even sit still to watch a movie, cause I look around and if I see a spider I wipe down the ceiling it's that crazy,, but I wasn't on nuerontin, my neuro tried me on that 2 yrs ago, but it made me sleepier than I felt anyways and made my pupls really huge u couldn;t even see the color of my eyes! so he took me off it. Now that I am on Tysabri, and working, I am not here to clean the house as often as I was, and I have calmed down a bit to enjoy doing things with my husband since I am feeling better and loosing weight, I was off yesterday and today and I cleaned the whole house yesterday, he said today I had to relax,, so that I will try to do! LOL I think alot of it was boredom, cause I was home 24/7, now that I work 4 or 5 days a week, and with my daughter and the hubby works at night, no one is home to mess the place up, our daughter is getting ready to start college, so she isn;t a kid who makes messes anymore.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
    MS for life
    (female)

MS for life HB User

I just started on Neurontin last Monday for my hands and feet falling asleep. The main symptom, I believe, is due to the Neurontin are sores in my mouth and a sore throat. It could possibly, be a summer virus, but after the first few days, the worst of the sores were gone, so I'm sticking with it.

As for being hyper, would love that. I have had the best night's sleep in ages, however finding it difficult to wake out of my deep sleep in the morning. Once up, I am feeling great. So for this reason, I would love to stay on it.

The only other thing I would say about it is, that once I switched to three times a day, I have found myself craving my second dose by mid afternoon. Hard to describe what the craving is, but it goes away quickly after I take it. And I thought I would forget this dose often, so that may be a good thing.

Anything else to watch for?

Closed Thread