It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

loss of memory

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
lily1954
(female)

lily1954 HB User
loss of memory

This is the first time i have been on this board. I haven't noticed anyone talking about a lesion on the front lobe of the brain that causes memory loss, cognitive thinking. I have other symtoms but this is the one that really bothers me the most. Does anybody think that 900 mg of neurontin (sp?) could make my symptom worse? Thank you all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
lilc
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User
Re: loss of memory

lily, we would have discussed it but we forgot...(sorry, I'm being silly!)

It has been a while, but there have been many threads discussing cognitive difficulties. I don't know that anyone has specifically associated the trouble with lesion(s) in the frontal lobes, but I have several frontal lobe lesions and have cognitive problems. Like you, it is the most disturbing of my symptoms. However, it is the one thing that actually seems to have improved over the past few months, perhaps coincidentally since I've been on Copaxone.
I also take neurontin. Right now only 300mg per day, but I have taken as much as 600mg per day. In my opinion, if you have MS it is the MS rather than the neurontin causing the trouble. It is only my opinion, however, others may think differently!

Old 03-03-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
lestoby
Inactive
(female)

lestoby HB User

to lilc:

Thanks for the laugh! I just love it when people "poke fun" at all of our myriad of symptoms.

If all else fails, blame it on the MS!

Old 03-04-2006, 06:34 AM   #4
Natatude
Veteran
(female)

Natatude HB User

i have cognitive problems bad,, i have lesions that have affected my long term memory and my short term memory,,, at family dinners,, my brothers and sister will talk about things we did as kids and they would be laughing up a storm and saying u remember nat? and i cry and say no,, it sucks,, so now they kinda watch what they say which is really sad,, sometimes i will be talking to my cousin and she will ask if i remember this or that,, and if i say no,,, she will talk about it into great detail and then i remember,, sometimes it takes about 20 minutes,,, but she is the only one who will talk in detail to jog my memory and bring it back , the way my neuro at the time explained it said the lesions pretty much burnt that part of my brain and i would never get the memories from that area back, which just really blows! but like i said my cousin will talk and talk and talk and gets some of them back for me! the short term is really bad,, i can't cook or do things like that anymore if i am home alone, cause i forget what i am doing and won't remember till i smell something burning,,, just the other day i was making iced tea dn forgot for about 25 minutes finally my daughter yelled out and said momma?? u making iced tea i smell it like it's boiling over and she came running out and it was,, it boiled so much there was barely anything left. i just hate MS some days are better than other but, just thinking about what it's done to us or will do to us is depressing! i try to laugh about it and crack jokes,, but sometimes i am sick of making jokes

Old 03-04-2006, 11:07 PM   #5
journey4me
(female)

journey4me HB User

I really don't think the amount of neurontin you take will make things worse. I take 4 of the 800 mg's daily and have since my dx in Oct. of 2002. I wouldn't survive w/o the neurontin. It makes my body feel normal. I have that tingly type feeling on the left side and w/o it my body would go haywire. I had several er visits prior to my dx and none since.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #6
BlessedMamaw
(female)

BlessedMamaw HB User

I took Neurontin for about 6 months and finally had to stop taking it. I was having difficutly with my walking and I was having terrible cognitive problems. Once I had the Neurontin out of my system most of the cognitive problems went away and my walking improved. With the Neurontin I was dreaming of committing suicide. Those dreams have stopped since coming off of the Neurontin. My neuro prescribed Cymbalta in its place and it seems to be working well for me.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
lily1954
(female)

lily1954 HB User

Natatude, I know just how you feel. My daughter and baby grandaughter came for a 1 week visit and when they left I couldn't remember them being here. She gave me 30 pictures from the visit and when I look at them even if I can't remember it makes me happy to look at them. Now a week later things do pop into my head and I call her because I'm so proud I remembered something. I hardly cook anymore because it takes me so long to follow a recipe. I called my psychiatrist (sp) today and asked him what was my diagnosis and he said that since this started in my thirties it was probubly MS. He said it is not alzhiemers. I have dementia cause by ms. Well that really helps me because i thought i had alzheimers. Now i know i'm not dying.
He is going to perscribe a alzheimers drug to see if it will help me with this forgetfulness. I am also starting to be afraid to leave the house. Do you feel that way. Surely we aren't the only ones out there that has this problem. lilly

Old 03-24-2006, 03:46 PM   #8
kooncejudy
(female)

kooncejudy HB User

Hi Lily,

I am new to this board too. I myself have lesions on my right front lobe which causes cognitive disorder. 3 years ago I was diagnosed with a severe cognitive disorder. I took a cognitive test from a Neuro Psycologist it took me 4 eight hour days to complete. It should have only taken me 2 eight hour days.

My neuro psycologist said that my short term memory, my thinking process, they way I percieve things, my emotions such as anger, crying always be anixety disoder are all caused from the damage that is on my front lobe. He said that I was highly intellegent (I use to be an accountant) he informed me that there was no doubt that the damage from MS had caused my problem.

I get real upset over the slightest things. I have to take effexor, wellbutrin and risperdall just to control my emotions and anxiety. It has helped me alot.

I still can not remember things that people say to me. I forget things all the time I have to keep a daily journal in order to remember the things that I have to do each day or the things that I have already done.

I forget what words to say whenever I am in a conversation with someone.
I know what I want to say it just that I can not get it to come out. Or I just can not find the right words to say. It also makes me feel really stupid.

They way I get by each day with my cognitive issues is to just say to myself
the old Judy is gone and a new one is here now. See the old Judy could say and tell you numbers and names never forgot nothing which was told to her.

I have to look at life in a different way now and try not to look at myself as being dumb. I had a hard time in the being I was always beating myself down. Until one day my Neuro Psycologist said Judy you are a new person now the old Judy no longer exist you have to stop beating yourself to death, just look at life in a different way. due to the changes in your life that MS has caused. But I have over come that. Now I look at myself and say you are going to be even better at the things you use to do, and you know it really works.

Between meds and my neuro I am going to try to over come all these issues.

I was on Neurontin 900 mg 4 times a day. I did not see any changes in the way I was thinking. The only thing the Neurontin did for me was to make me sleepy. So I stopped taking it. Oh yeah did help with the pain sometimes that I would get in my legs.

Take Care

Old 03-28-2006, 10:19 PM   #9
lily1954
(female)

lily1954 HB User

Judy, I reorganized my house and got rid of the things that kept reminding me I couldn't do them. I have replaced them with things i can do now. Then I forget about them. what is sad is that i've had to do that twice now. I just keep shuffling around and I'm happy.

Closed Thread