It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

First Avonex shot today.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2006, 05:09 AM   #1
gib70
(female)

gib70 HB User
First Avonex shot today.

I had my first Avonex shot today and for those who do have the flu like symptoms I was curious on average how long it takes for those to appear? I'm going on 4 hours and so far nothing. I realize that everyone is different. I'm just curious what other experiences have been.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2006, 06:58 AM   #2
evolution88
(male)

evolution88 HB User
Re: First Avonex shot today.

For me, the first shot wasn't so bad, flu like symptoms happen at six hours. Flu symptoms got really bad around two to six month marks, now they appear to be totally gone. I still take tylenol, but don't even know if I need to.

Good Luck.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:25 AM   #3
KelliD
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

When I have side effects, they appear anywhere from 4 to 6 hours after the shot. I use Advil LiquiGels..that seems to wipe out the flu-like achiness and fever.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
JulieDe
(female)

JulieDe HB User

4-6 hrs seem right. I hadn't had any for awhile until I got hit really bad last Sat night. But they were gone when I woke up. I am gonna try the liqui-gels.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
ITSABOUTTIME
(female)

ITSABOUTTIME HB User

my first symptoms started two hours after the injection, 9:30pm. I was up all night with the worst chills and muscles aches of MY LIFE!!! I was moaning like a cow. The next few shots done weekly (avonex) are getting better.. Mostley just muscles aches. If I take the shot early enough on Friday I get through the worst of the symptoms by noon Saturday. Now I am praying for the double vision to go away. I have had it since dec 23rd.. i did no steroids. From what I keep hearing it will get better.. I'll believe it when I see it..HaHa.. My prayers to all of you
Julie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JULES

Last edited by ITSABOUTTIME; 03-13-2006 at 07:37 PM.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
Mogli
(female)

Mogli HB User

Hi there.

I've been on Avonex now since November. I start getting the chills almost right away however most of the other stuff happens in approximately 5 hours. I always feel like I'm trying to "beat the clock" per se to get my butt into bed before things get out of control.

My first shot went really well, I woke up the next day feeling fine. HOWEVER, the shot in my second week - I felt like I was hit by a bus. Most of the time now I'm just a little more sluggish the next day and I get hot all of a sudden; when I tired before the injection it seems to really affect how I'll feel the day after.

I also take Advil and Tylenol - 30 minutes prior to injection. And again, 5 hours later. My MS nurse says to take the Advil / Tylenol at the ONSET on side effects; don't let them get too much too handle before you finally take something.

Closed Thread