HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   what does optic neuritis feel like ? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/371909-what-does-optic-neuritis-feel-like.html)

Burnt Bees 03-07-2006 01:37 PM

what does optic neuritis feel like ?

i have been reading about how optic neuritis is a pain when you move the eyes.. could anyone describe what this pain is like?

Life4Fun 03-07-2006 02:45 PM

Re: what does optic neuritis feel like ?

I first had ON 18 years ago. There was no pain involved. I woke up one morning and opened a cookbook for dinner and found that I could not read it. The right eye was totally blurred. I could only read by covering that eye. The pupil was blown too. For that reason, my opthamologist suspected a tumor or aneyurism. The neuroopthamologist diagnosed it as Addies Syndrome, which he told me was unusual, because it usually happens to people considerably older than I was at the time -- 30. However...one of my neurologists told me last year that in no was was it Addies. That blurry vision is never a symptom of Addies and that he was sure it was the first episode of ON. To me that was not good news, because all I've read tells me that ON is the onset of MS that leads to more than Relapsing Remitting MS. Now that I've had more episodes in the past 2.5 years, I am beginning to think I may be in for a less positive future than I've had in the past 18 years. I did not get diagnosed until 2.5 years ago.

The best way I can describe it is as though the eye is bruised. When I have it, it does not feel like a shooting pain, but perhaps more like a throbbing behing the eyelid whenever I move my eyes. It is kind of like someone has their finger pressing on the eyelid as I am moving my eyes. It seems to affect me toward the top of my eye mostly. It's not something that I can not live with, but it's a noticable pain that I find annoying and this did not happen, that I can recall, 18 years ago. Perhaps I just don't remember that part?

I know this is pretty vague. I hope it helps in some way. :)

Punkdizzle 03-07-2006 04:48 PM

little different for me.. felt like i had a knife stuck in my eye anyway i moved it it was very intense pain.. and wen i did move it the pain would shoot down my neck.. my eye was blurred out very badly all i could see was shapes of things in front of me maybe up to 3ft the rest was just like a thick white fog.. also my pupil was spazing on me it would dilate and contract like mad.. still does a little...

jeepbabe 03-07-2006 04:48 PM

This keeps happening to me. I am in the middle of getting a diagnosis right now. Doing all the ruling out other possibilities tests...blah, blah, blah. But I did not even know this was a sign of MS until my doctor told me he thought I had it and went online and did research and I have been having these problems with my eyes since I was I would say around 16. It has gotten progressively worse over the years. But yeah it is like a bruised feeling. Life4Fun has your pain also been accompanied by migrane symptoms? See mine happens in my left eye. Sometimes without the migrane and then sometimes with it and it seems to go from my neck into my eye. It hurts bad. :( Anyways just curious if there are two different things happening there and it is just a coincedance that it is at the same time.

jeepbabe 03-07-2006 04:56 PM

OMG Punkdizzle I must have been writing mine as you were writing yours. That is exactly what happens to me. Well not exactly the only thing that didn't happen was the white fog thing. It did get hazy and blurred and I had a difficult time focusing my eye. This happens to me at least 1 time a month if not more.

baplap 03-07-2006 07:27 PM

Has anyone started ON with just a dark spot in the vision? I have about 3 of those in my left eye. 1 has been there for a few years, the other 2 have shown up within the last month. I also get the shooting pains behind my eyes. Feels like a knife stabbing behind them. Don't know if either of these is symptomatic of ON.

lestoby 03-07-2006 07:59 PM

I have most of the symptoms that you all describe, but I do not have ON.

I have blurry vision almost every morning in my R eye. I wear a patch for about an hour and then things are fine. I have also on occasion, lost 50-75% of my vision (real blurry) in my R eye for 2-3 hours at a time. There is absolutley no connection or consitency as to why I lose my vision. However, it is almost guaranteed that my R eye will get blurry when I drink 1-2 glasses of alchol (mostly wine).

When I get pain in my R eye, it does feel kind of like a "pressure" feeling. Kind of like there is a lot of pressure behind my eyeball that is waiting to explode. (don't know how else to describe the pain).

I blink constantly and often roll my eyes (kind of like a nervous tic). If you were to cross your eyes and stare at your nose you feel a sort of pain (pressure). This is the kind of pain I experience on a daily basis. When I roll my eyes and blink, it is kind of like I am trying to stretch a muscle that is cramped.

My OD said that I do not have ON. He can only attribute my sx to the fact that my lesions are located in my occipital lobe (the part of the brain that controls the eyes). I would try to find a 2nd opinion, but this guy is the best in town.

My vision has also decreased by 2 steps (whatever that means) and my blind spots increased in size since my initial attack.

If I could fix any of my symptoms, it would be my eye problems. For now, I can live with all of my other sx, except for my eyes, which are driving me crazy.

Lisa_P 03-08-2006 09:19 AM

I never had pain moving my eyes. There was severe pain the second time I had ON-- like a knife stabbing through the back of my head directly into my right eye. The other two times were with my left eye and only had the fogginess obsuring my vision. The only traces are a "paleness" of my optic nerves? And the fact that my childhood lazy eye has come back... And I think that is simply because lazy eye is a neurological problem; I don't think it is directly related to the ON-- although I could be wrong!

Life4Fun 03-08-2006 06:15 PM

[QUOTE=jeepbabe]This keeps happening to me. I am in the middle of getting a diagnosis right now. Doing all the ruling out other possibilities tests...blah, blah, blah. But I did not even know this was a sign of MS until my doctor told me he thought I had it and went online and did research and I have been having these problems with my eyes since I was I would say around 16. It has gotten progressively worse over the years. But yeah it is like a bruised feeling. Life4Fun has your pain also been accompanied by migrane symptoms? See mine happens in my left eye. Sometimes without the migrane and then sometimes with it and it seems to go from my neck into my eye. It hurts bad. :( Anyways just curious if there are two different things happening there and it is just a coincedance that it is at the same time.[/QUOTE]

I guess I have been very lucky -- just that strange bruised feeling. Now how could I have just said I was lucky? I am sitting here ith a heplock in my arm hooked up so that I can drip Solumedrol IV everday into my arteries because of the relapse I am in the middle of with new enhancing lesions. One is not in the visual cortex, but is in the direct path to the visual cortex, so it explains the problems I have been having with my vision for the past 3 frustrating weeks. I am praying that I can wake up tomorrow with marked improvement with my vision. Last time the strength in my leg and foot came back within 24 hours, so I am hoping this will happen again.

My eyes don't hurt this time, I just can't read easily. Why am I online people might ask? Because it's my lifeline. I have an invisible AOL IV set up for the past 12 years and refuse to have a nurse remove it. :D

jeepbabe 03-09-2006 02:07 PM

Thanks for responding back to me. I am sorry you are having some problems right now. I will be praying that things get better fast. :) Cute about the AOL IV :)