It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• ? about heat intolerance

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2006, 08:09 PM   #1
    baplap
    (female)

baplap HB User
    Question ? about heat intolerance

What does "heat intolerance" mean? Does that mean that the symptoms get worse in extreme heat?. . . can someone enlighten me please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2006, 03:34 AM   #2
    lilc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lilc HB User
    Re: ? about heat intolerance

For me it means I get fatigued more quickly, just can't take hot weather like I could (I've always loved the desert...) and my sx are worse when I'm hot.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:36 AM   #3
    Life4Fun
    Inactive
    (female)

Life4Fun HB User

My experience has been that heat brings on symptoms or relapses. I noticed when summer hit a few months (I've been living in Buenos Aires for the last year) ago and the heat really got going I would lose the feelings in the fingertips of my left hand and of course wilt from the heat and exhaustion. It eventually got to the point where I had to come home a couple of weeks ago to see my doctors and have an MRI done. It confirmed new, enhancing lesions, so I am on IV steriod therapy as I type, but that has worked for me in the past.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:28 AM   #4
    StephanieAnne
    Veteran
    (female)

StephanieAnne HB User

for me everything is worse, I have alot of lackawanna, ya know lack of wanting to do anything my arm [which is numb] feels like a ton of bricks. I am just more uncomfortable all around. Even hot showers, make me feel lethargic [sp], plus I break out in hives

When fall came, I felt like a new person. it was amazing.

But now in the winter, I find that my hands and feet are always cold, I can't tolerate the snow/cold like I used to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
    baplap
    (female)

baplap HB User

Thanks for all your responses. Just curious because after taking a hot shower last night (my feet and hands were cold! ) I was really tired, so I went to bed and woke up 1/2 hour later with my left arm completely dead. Couldn't feel it, couldn't move it. First time that's happened. Called my husband in the room. He started rubbing it, but couldn't tell he was doing that. It only lasted about 5 minutes, then started with the burning, shooting pains. I've had the patches of numbness - parts of my arms, legs or face - before but never the whole thing. Scared me a bit.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:28 AM   #6
    sooty
    (female)

sooty HB User

Baplap
    I had the same thing with my left arm the other week - it was really scary. If I get too hot it makes me tired and the tingling worse and also I feel I can't think clearly, but I also have problems with the cold as well, can't seem to get it just right!

Old 03-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #7
    Natatude
    Veteran
    (female)

Natatude HB User

the heat bothers me real bad and it has since i was a teenager,,, i love love loved being outside in the summer,, and i was in the band and was a majorette and we always went away for band camp in the summer,, and i would always get sick and i would get so tired and my eye sight would bother me so i would have to go lay down and cool down before i felt better,,, and since i have became and adult and know it is MS i have to stay out of the heat! i have an ice vest i wear to ball games,, my nephew and daughter play to try and keep cool,,, even sitting in the shade i get sun burned so i have to wear sun block even in the shade,,, the summer time is when i have my relapses/exacerbations,,, so this past summer,, i pretty much stayed in the house in the air conditioning,,, we have central air now,, we had a furnace and central air put in the end of december,, the guy will be back to install the central air unit the end of this month i think,,, the heat always makes me so sick,, and some ppl i know who have MS the heat doesn;t bother them at all,,, it effects us all different.

Closed Thread