It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• copaxone use while pregnant??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
    locket
    (female)

locket HB User
    Question copaxone use while pregnant??

Hello everyone,

Just seen my Neuro this week after finding out im pregnant. I live in the UK and I am on a trial run here for Mitoxatrone Chemo with Copaxone introduced during the 9 months of Chemo. There are only a small number of Ladies on my trial who have been pregnant - I think 3 in total (including me) The other 2 ladies stopped the Copaxone while pregnant - One of the ladies was ok during the pregnancy and re started the copaxone once child born. The other lady became quite ill again after stopping Copaxone during the pregnancy.

That means so far from my trial there is 50% chance I will be ill during pregnancy, the people on my trial all had quite aggressive attacks of MS - For example mine started where I had 4 large attacks in space of a year so if it would have carried on with no treatment I would be very ill now. Thankfully I started the trial and it has worked for me. My Neuro has suggested I stay on Copaxone during the pregnancy in view of the history of my attacks. It would be in my best interests and the baby's for me to stay on the treatment.

To be honest I was looking forward to a break from treatment as I read your'e MS improves during pregnancy. Also I don't really like needles, and I get alot of reaction site problems - Lipo-atrophy, pain (like a bee sting) etc....but all that is loads better than without the treatment. Also last thing I want is to be too poorly to care for my baby once born, but I don't want to cause the baby any harm either.

I trust my Neuro he has done amazing things for me in the last 2/3 years - I feel I owe him so much. He said there have been no evidence of harm to baby while on copaxone due to trials in US and during animal studies of the drug?? but I will be the first in UK to do it.

What I'm asking is - Have any of you lovely people heard anything about this or is it quite common in US to keep on treatment in pregnancy? Or has anyone any advice for me??

Sorry this is so long - I appreciate any advice/info you give me?

Thanks in advance

Lucy x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
    Natatude
    Veteran
    (female)

Natatude HB User
    Re: copaxone use while pregnant??

the only thing i can help u with is my cousins wife,, she was diagnosed with MS about a yr and a half ago,, they wanted a baby really bad and have been do fertility stuff and she takes drugs for that,, her MS attacks were coming so much they started her on copaxone, and told her she could take the fertility drugs with the copaxone but if she became pregnant she would have to stop the copaxone till the baby was born. thats all i know,, sorry i couldn;t help u more,, i will e-mail her and tell her she should come here when she has time and post to this question she doesn;t have a computer but gets on her mom and mother in laws which is my aunt when she has time so it may be awhile before she can reply.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
    locket
    (female)

locket HB User
    Re: copaxone use while pregnant??

ok thanx, I was under the impression it was done in the US more often?? The US trials have been going much longer than ours in the UK so we kind of follow suit......??

Anyone else heard anything or know of anyone who is or has been in my position??

thanks again

Lucy

Closed Thread