It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

Feeling Crummy

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
Life4Fun
Inactive
(female)

Life4Fun HB User
Feeling Crummy

Hi Everyone,

I have posted a lot since my recent relapse and have read a lot of great replies and have learned a lot as well. Now I am sitting on my couch once again feeling crummy.

I came home from where I live overseas because I suspected I was having a relapse and the tests confirmed it. My eyesight was what was being negatively affected. The neuro put me right on IV steroids as he did the last time and that took a toll on me. At the sime time my internist found that I had two bacterial infections doing their thing inside of me, so they prescribed a strong antibiotic that resluted in a head to toe rash of welts. The good news is that the solumedrol staved off the intense itching and burning the doc thought I would have experienced if it were not for the steroids.

Now a week and a half after being off the solumedrol and the antibiotics I am sitting here with a nasty cold and am starting a fever. I guess my immune system is wide open to anything that comes my way so going into the office this week was not the brightest idea. The guy in the pod next to me has been sniffling and coughing and sneezing all week and while I'd like to blame it on him, it could come from anywhere since I've learned that people are not great about washing their hands and using tissues. UGH!

I simply HAVE to head back "home" a week from Saturday and once again I can't seem to move from the couch tonight. I can't keep up this sick leave although in the 11 years I've been with this great company I have only taken sick leave 2 days other than the 2 weeks with the other major relapse and this one. But I feel guilty and am beginning to feel like those employees we have that take day after day of sick leave, no matter whether they are ill or not.

My family has been very worried with this relapse and I don't want to worry them about this latest malady, so I've decided to get it off my congested chest here. There is nothing anyone can do and I have to live with the fact that a chronic disease like this will rear it's ugly head from time to time, but I need to feel healthy again and like I can do whatever I've done in the past -- not just sit here watching TV hour after hour after hour.

What do some of you do to pick yourselves up even when you're feeling like this? I need some positive vibes!!

Thanks for listening!!
Frannie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
lestoby
Inactive
(female)

lestoby HB User
Re: Feeling Crummy

sigh.... don't you just hate colds!

I feel more exhausted with a cold than any other ailment or disease. I feel ugly and don't want anybody to even look at me.

I usually ride out a cold on the couch vegging in front of the TV and sighing a lot!

Just like MS, there is no cure for colds either! It just takes time to get over them slowly and then one day, you will wake up with a lot more renewed energy then you had for over a week.

Maybe this is God's way of telling you that you need to take a much needed rest.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:50 AM   #3
Burnt Bees
(female)

Burnt Bees HB User

Hi Frannie,

I am sorry you are feeling ill. I am very much involved in nutrition and holistic medicine, and listen to a nutritionist by the name of Gary Null, who could really help a lot. He has a product called Gary Null's suprema C, it is just buffered vitamin C powder in a nice strawberry flavor. One teaspoon = 2,500 MG and if you drink 2 glasses of water with a tsp. each in there every day (5,000 MG) and increase to 10,000 when you're sick, you will notice a lot of changes in your immune system's strength. I have heard of what those steroids could do to the body, making you feel flu-sick and tired, well vitamin C is your first step in the right direction to improving your energy. I take it everyday (5000 MG) and have only been sick once this winter and I live in stinky, polluted, crowded metro New Jersey! You gotta get the powder formula because tablets will give you ulcers! I recommend Gary's product because the dosage is good and it tastes good, also not expensive (about 16 USD for one bottle) and is carried in most Vitamin Shoppes.

I hope you feel well soon!
Michelle

Old 03-24-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
StephanieAnne
Veteran
(female)

StephanieAnne HB User

Hi Frannie

I can know that crummy feeling, and when you pick up a cold, or bronchitis, or anything, MS is worse and I hate that too. PLUS the stress of your job, and I was there. I loved my job but I had a bad 3 years with surgerys and 6-8 weeks off for recuperating.

After my 1st relapse, I went out of work for about 3 weeks and when I went back to work, I had a different job, and was told 1 more sick day and that was that I would be fired!! So the same situation as you, I only took sick days when I was sick. 20 years ago, I took sick days to go and hang out at the beach and stuff, but ya know you become an adult, and responsible and then you get MS!!
Oh and yeah, I don't work anymore, they let me go and I was too sick at the time to fight it. Everything happens for a reason. and sometimes you have to put your life in Gods hands and just see what happens

So the stress of you worrying about the sick time you are taking is probably helping to keep you feel crummy.
I love what lestboy said, " Maybe this is God's way of telling you that you need to take a much needed rest "

So can't you go out on Family Medical Leave [FMLA} I see that you live in South America so they have some sort of FMLA? For a few weeks, to regain your strength?

So hit the couch, drink green tea w/honey, have some chicken noodle soup, take care of you, and forget [and I know how hard it is] about work. My fav thing when I am sick is CARBS!!! anything, french bread toasted, cinnamon rolls, ugh anything that is white, and sweet, and chewy, so what about you, what is your I'm sick fav thing?

I hope you are feeling better and of course you can vent anytime you want here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
Life4Fun
Inactive
(female)

Life4Fun HB User

Lesto, Stephanie and BurntBees,

Thank you so much for the replies! I am going to have to get on the stick and heat more healthfully. I am not a pacakged, fast food person, but I find that I have been eating something sweet after dinner EVERY NIGHT for years now. Bad bad bad.

in Argentina we live on beef beef and more beef. They are not big on vegetables so if I eat at home I am getting my veggies, but out in restaurants, which is so much of the time, it's red meat and potatoes. It's so hard to imagine -- they are tall and thin and so totally into how their bodies look, but they eat a horrible diet. I know that MS (Esclerosis Multiple) does exist in Argentina, but don't know how prevalent it is. I am in search of a good neurologist there. The big positive about food in Argentina is that the cattle are not given steroids or antibiotics or any other anything. They truly are free-range cattle. Of course it does mean that if you buy a steak today, you better cook and eat it within 2 days or it's fit for nothing more than the garbage. Same goes for chicken and pork, etc. I can't tell you how awesome the chicken tastes. Oh and did I mention the cost? I won't forget (took a picture of it actually) the first time I went to the supermarket and bought steak. I got 4 1 inch thick strip steaks for $3.00 US! I was shocked at the price for beautiful, chemical free food.

I am still in the US since my relapse prevented me from getting back after 2 weeks so I can pick up the powdered Vitamin C here. Thanks for the recommendation.

As silly as it seems to complain about a cold I feel like I've been hit by a brick. I usually push on and go to work and about my daily life with a cold, but this one has me plastered to my couch. I am sure it's the coming off the steroids and not being 100% recuperated from the relapse yet that's put me in this condition. I would imagine I will feel better by Monday, but it's really starting to make me angry everytime I sneeze or my eyes water or whatever.

As for FMLA -- I am paid in US dollars on the company's US payroll, so FMLA is a possiblity. Actually short term disability is an option which has been offered as an option, but I am worried about using disability. I guess we have a certain number of time in the short time bucket and a certain number of years in the long term bucket. I am always afraid to use it too soon, because chances are I will really need it in the future. I have taken the last 4 weeks off and will probably take Monday and Tuesday before heading back to the office and then back down to Buenos Aires next Saturday. The thought of getting on a speeding metal tube for 11 hours sounds very unappealing right now, so I am crossing my fingers that I am feeling ship shape by the time I pack my bags and put my passport and ticket in my wallet.

I hope you all have a great weekend free of the downside of MS,
Frannie

Closed Thread