It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• No sense of smell or taste

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
    Life4Fun
    Inactive
    (female)

Life4Fun HB User
    No sense of smell or taste

Has anyone had this problem?

I had a relapse a few weeks ago and was put on a 5 day IV Solumedrol course of treatment. Went like normal, and my vision came back to "normal" about a week after the infusions were done.

Then I came down with a cold. It wiped me out. About a week ago I noticed that I could not smell or taste a thing -- still can't. I was making something with cinnamon last week and I use cinnamon sticks that I smash a bit for this. I held the cinnamon sticks right up to my nose and nothing. Last night I served spiced shrimp and put a small bowl of Bay Spice on the table for dipping and held it up to my nose and nothing. I made chicken with lemons and garlic and could smell nothing. The only thing I tasted was th bitterness of the lemon quarters. I've made this dish many times before and there has never been an issue with bitterness.

I can sense salt, sweet and sour, but that is it. I was thinking it was just the cold, but I can breathe just fine. It's not like I am all stuffy. There is still a lot of mucus, but no sinus pain or anything.

I keep thinking how lucky I am that I have smoke detectors and sprinklers in the ceiling, because without this, I would never know if there was a fire. I smell absolutely nothing.

I am going to write it off as a cold, but am now wondering if it's related to the MS. I have had this experience once or twice in the past, but that was before the DX, so I never stopped to think about it. It took months for my sense of smell to come back the first time. I am hoping that is not going to be the case this time. I've seen poeple post about sinusitis, but I don't know how that relates to MS and since I don't have any pain (I've had a terrible sinus infection in the past -- about 20 years ago) and this feels nothing like it. No pain or fever or anything.

Ahhh! Maybe this is God's way of putting me on a diet!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread