It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

Shifting Vision??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
rhondabuzz
(female)

rhondabuzz HB User
More Info on Shifting Vision...

Hi All

I've been gone for a while, but wanted to stick my head in and ask a quick question that i hope someone can help with. To sorta recap, i don't have a dx...was told my tests results were all normal so couldn't dx, but symptoms were such that ms couldn't be ruled out yet. So i suppose i sit and wait for more to happen. My overt symptoms were/are numbness all over body in patches and moves. Tightness in arms and legs primarily. Off balance BAD. Room spinning. SEVERE weakness and fatigue with pain in legs and legs feeling wobbly and like jello much of the time. Most of these symptoms have subsided or gone..they raise their heads often enuf that i haven't fogotten about them tho. I've also had bad pain in my eyeballs...usually one at a time with blurry vision in that eye during the time of pain. I have had blurry vision w/o pain tho. Tonight something new. I noticed a 'shifting' of my vision in one eye. Not a lot...just enuf that it was obvious to me...and then it was gone. Lasted prob about 3 or 4 mins total time...but not constantly happening. Would see things shift...then it'd look normal...then shifting again. Has anyone else ever experienced that before??

Thanks to u all!
rhonda

Last edited by rhondabuzz; 04-14-2006 at 09:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Annie Nichols
(female)

Annie Nichols HB User
Re: Shifting Vision??

Hi Rhonda,
I'm new to this board...but I am not new to MS. I, too, get the severe pain in or behind my eyeballs that can be, but isn't always, accompanied by blurry vision. I don't know the medical term for this symptom but many people I have talked to over the years have also shared this pain. For me, I put a heating pad on low and wrap my upper head and eyes. It usually helps.

I'm not certain that I understand the other vision problem you described. It sounds like it may be nystagmus, which is a jiggling or vibration of the eye itself. Fortunately I have only experienced this a couple times after I had been really dumb and spent too much time in the sun. Getting into a cool shower helped me then.

Hope this helped.
Annie

Old 04-12-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
rhondabuzz
(female)

rhondabuzz HB User

Hi Annie!

Thanks for the quick reply! I hadn't thought of heat for my eyes, but have had probs with heat sensitivity since this all began so that's why it never occured to me. The new symptom...shifting vision...may well be what u'r describing...nystagmus. I"ve read about that, but never considered that tonight. This just started tonight. I'm gonna do some research on this topic and see if i can find more answers. Maybe to help u if i may, the term u may be looking for related to the eyeball pain and blurred vision is Optic Neuritis. I've never been checked for that...but expect i'll be making an appointment soon. Again, thank u so much!

rhonda

Old 04-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
Annie Nichols
(female)

Annie Nichols HB User

Hey Rhonda,
I have the heat sensitivity also. And since I live in Arkansas the summer keeps me indoors most of the time.
When you use the heating pad be careful how long you keep it on. Try just a couple minutes at first.
Optic Neuritis is another thing I am lucky not to have had very often. And when I have it has usually been from my own stupidity, i.e. spending the day at the lake with the kids.
Holler if i can help out in any way!
Annie

Old 04-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
rhondabuzz
(female)

rhondabuzz HB User

Hi Annie!

Thanks!!! I will try the heating pad...my LEFT eye is hurting tonight. And i'll go at it slowly as well.

U live in Arkansas?? I'm u'r Mississippi neighbor! Down in the Katrina area. Good to see another southerner on here with me.

Also...had another visit with my neuro today. I told him about my vision and other new symptoms showing up...burning places, 'shifting' vision, and slight vibration feeling in short spurts around body..mostly in right leg. Funny, most of my "stuff" seems to reside on my right side! He had already done an mri of my brain and neck, but said today he may have missed something so ordered another neck mri for monday. Also, he changed my fatigue med from provigil (wasn't helping anymore) to welbutrin. Have u ever used that?? He said it was good.

Thanks!
rhonda

Old 04-13-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
TamCazz
(female)

TamCazz HB User

Hi Rhonda,

I think I have experienced what you are talking about. My right eye had been blurry off and on for a couple of months, and I didn't think much of it until I couldn't drive my car into a car wash - you know, the ones with the track on one side. I'd done it hundreds of times. My right eye seemed like it was looking so much higher than my left one and I couldn't drive my car onto the track. After several tries to get myself out of there, I almost had to get out and get help. I was devastated. Not long after that, I was diagnosed with Optic Neuritis and was put on IV Steroids. I hadn't been diagnosed with MS yet, and didn't have any idea I had it. I've heard that heat does inflame the nerves, so if it is Optic Neuritis, I agree that you should be careful with that. Hang in there!
Tammy

Old 04-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #7
lestoby
Inactive
(female)

lestoby HB User

Pain in the eye may not always be optic neuritis. My pain and intermittent blurriness is unexplainable. My OD and I can only attribute the problem to the location of my lesions in my occipital lobe. It was not the answer or solution I was hoping for, but at least I have a professional who can at least validate that this is a possibility.

If you are having eye problems, you should visit an OD. You do not necessarily need to see your neurologist. An OD can run many other tests to dx other problems that are related to MS. Such as increased blind spots and decrease in vision. I suffered both within 3 months. I had a "normal" eye exam 1 month before my attack with no decrease in my rx of glasses. 2 months after my attack, the vision decreased in my R eye by 2 steps.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
rhondabuzz
(female)

rhondabuzz HB User

Hi Everyone...

I think i've noticed more info on the shifting vision thing. A few mins before it happens...i get this weird dizziness or like a head spinnig sensation. I can't really say it's like when the room is spinning..but something like it. I can be sitting here still..as i was a few mins ago...and it's like the my head almost feels like it's light and it actually goes in circles...litterally physically moves. Then it's gone. It's lasting longer and longer tho..and happening more often too. Today it happened three times. I'm also seeing more of the off balance probs as this is increasing. Anyone had anything like this happen before?? Any input would be great! I will be calling my neuro on Monday as well.

Thanks
rhonda

Old 04-15-2006, 01:45 AM   #9
Annie Nichols
(female)

Annie Nichols HB User

Hey Neighbor!
I have had the misfortune to have a neuro that doesn't know much about MS. So I haven't been given anything for the fatigue except Amantadine. One of the advantages with the Amantadine is that it is also an anti-viral so I didn't catch every single bug the kids brought home from school.
My right side is my bad one too. That is where I have a lot more tingling and weakness. And occasionally I get the burning sensation. More often I get an itching sensation like there are little bugs crawling under my skin...ouch and yuk!
How bad did Katrina get you? I hope you are doing OK!
Had a bad day today...only woke up a little while ago and I think I'm already feeling my bed calling.
Talk to you later!
Annie

Old 04-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
rhondabuzz
(female)

rhondabuzz HB User

Hi Annie

That's strange about u'r weakness on u'r right side too. As i told u, mine is on my right side...but when my legs are weak...it's ALWAYS both legs. They'll feel like jello...or otherwise concentrated on my right side. Weird, huh? I have only started to get that burning feeling on my right leg a few times in the last month. Before then nothing or not enuf to remember. U know there are so many things goin on that it's hard to remember them all...especially with such poor memory anyway! I get that crawling feeling under my skin ALL THE TIME. I told my doc about it last fri and he just nodded and wrote something down...wish i could see all those notes! Anyway, it feels like little worms crawling around under u'r skin...but only for a second or so and then it's gone...only to start up some place else. Have u ever noticed jumping around u'r body? I mean like when u'r eye lid jumps or twitches...but all over at different times. That's started up with me...that's WEIRD feeling. It's like u'r muscle jumping. I only had the burning a few times too...it's bad when it happens tho. I really hope u get some relief from these things soon. My welbutrin is working well right now. I suspect it will, but u can be sure if it gives me any trouble i will be telling him! I have another mri for tomorrow (monday) on my neck. My last appointment was fri and he said he thought he may have missed something with all these persistant and new symptoms i was telling him about. He just wants to look again to be sure i guess. Otherwise don't go back for another 4 months.

We didn't get hit too bad at all with katrina. No power or water for three weeks and of course lost all our refridgerator and freezer things....couldn't get enuf gas to keep generators running. We lost a LOT of BIG trees...but so did everyone else. All in all...we made it pretty good. To tell the truth...we HAD to spend a lot of time together and didn't have a tv or other things to entertain us...so we spent a lot of time reading and sharing...and got a lot closer to each other. I guess sometimes God just has to get our attention. )

Are u having any better day today??? I really hope u'r enjoying u'r Easter and are feeling better. Feel free to email me anytime u want if u need to talk or just fuss. I'm a good listener! I think my email is in my profile..but if not i'll put it there.

Take care of u'rself and let me know how u are.

rhonda

Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Sorry! My mistake!

Last edited by rhondabuzz; 04-19-2006 at 07:52 PM.

Closed Thread