It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

Leg Numbness/Braces

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2006, 09:43 AM   #1
Topsyturvy105
(female)

Topsyturvy105 HB User
Leg Numbness/Braces

Well I am back. About two weeks ago my right leg went numb from the knee down (still remains numb). I called my neuro and insisted that they get me help because I had missed two days of work. They sent me to a PT and he fitted me for a leg brace (suspects foot drop). I'm not sure if it's that or not because all I can really do is drag my leg. My thigh muscles are so tired from doing all the work. I go see my neuro here in about an hour.
Topsyturvy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #2
duttin
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: Leg Numbness/Braces

Topsyturvy,

I use an orthotic leg brace on right leg.I don't have a possitive dx yet.I dragged my right leg when I'd walk.I now have absent reflexes in the right ankle unknown reason.I finally can pick my right leg up,I walk with an analgic gait.Ohysical therapy helped a lot.The numbness I had took a while to leave.It reappears ever now and then.
Toni

Old 04-20-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
Topsyturvy105
(female)

Topsyturvy105 HB User

Toni,
Thanks for your response. I say the neurologist on Monday and he diagnosed me with Small Fiber Peripheral Neuropathy. I will start going to PT for gait and balance training. He upped the amount of Neurotin I am taking with the hopes that the numbness will go away. I certainly hope so because I am tired of dragging this foot around. He signed papers so that I could get a temporary disabled sticker on my car. When I parked in a handicapped spot yesterday boy did I feel guilty. I know I need it but I also know their are people in a lot worse shape than I. I have resorted to using my cane faithfully and I don't care what anyone thinks. I didn't realize how people can be so rude when your not able to move very quickly. It has changed my outlook on those that need extra help. Never again will I be so impatient with them. I just wished my boss would be a little bit more understanding about my situation but we can't have everything right?

Old 04-20-2006, 05:01 PM   #4
duttin
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

I went to physical therapy for 6 months,it helped to a certain degree.I continue at home.
My cane was my best friend for a few years,I still use it when I'm walking on unevened surfaces or for a long period of time.

Don't feel guilty using the handi-cap parking tag.Mine is perminant.On days that are good,I'll walk the distance on others I use the handi-cap parking.They are great at the holidays for all that shopping.

Yes,people are rude when we don't move fast enough,I have found out that the rudest are high school students,I just attended my daughters track meet tonight,upon leaving there was a group of guys from the away side behind me and they made lude comments.My 11 year old daughter ripped into them,she told them to apologize and ask if they ever heard of multiple sclerosis,if not get educated.

I wish your boss was understanding also,some people just don't get it

Toni

Closed Thread