It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Lhermitte's and Optical Neuritis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #1
    sunshine149
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine149 HB User
    Lhermitte's and Optical Neuritis

Hi everyone,
    I was wondering how many of you have had both symptoms (not neccessarily at the same time) with your MS?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2006, 03:43 AM   #2
    scotsgirl
    (female)

scotsgirl HB User
    Re: Lhermitte's and Optical Neuritis

Hi Optic Neuritis was my first ever symptom of MS,which I have had on 3 occassions over the years for quite long periods of time,once resulting in complete blindness in one eye.I have also experienced L'Hermitte's on quite a few occassions too,this started much later on into my MS,which I have had for 15yrs.Hope this helps,are'nt we the lucky ones,getting more than out fair share.LOL Scotsgirl xx

Old 05-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #3
    TamCazz
    (female)

TamCazz HB User

Hi Sunshine,
    I have had both. I was treated with IV steroids in February, and still have blurry vision from the ON. It's getting better - I think. I have Lhermitte's, as well. I've had this for quite a while, and feel this daily. It doesn't appear to be something that is going to go away. The MRI of my neck did show a lesion, so I assume that's what is causing it. I'm so new at all of this....It's really interesting to see that others are going through exactly the same things I have.
    Tammy

Old 05-07-2006, 08:52 AM   #4
    Natatude
    Veteran
    (female)

Natatude HB User

My nuero told me in Dec that i could have the L'hermittes Sign but didn;t do anything else just said i could most definately have that,,, and i have optic nerve damage due to having the eye problems for so many yrs but it would come and go and i never went to a dr just thinking it was a cold in the eye or i was too tired from working and needed a nap, when i finally went to the dr and after a couple of weeks found out it was MS i had so many lesions they found out right away what it was and i was having a huge relapse,, but after i found out it was MS i wanted to kic myself in my own rearend for passing it off for like 10 yrs! i was so mad at myself,, but now i have to live the right eye having the damage i have a hard time seeing out of it and on days i am really having a bad MS day it is even worse.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
    prissy190
    (female)

prissy190 HB User

I am experienig optic neuritis now for the first time. It has been almost three months that I have been experiencing this. I was told that I have all the symptoms except that my optic nerve isn't swollen. This is my third and by far my worst MS exasserbation. At first I thought that I was having terrible stress headaches due to the stressful life of a college student or had an eye infection from my contacts. It wasn't until my mother literally forced me to go to the doctor that I found out that I was experiencing an MS attack.

Man was that a gut punch. Because my first two attacks were mild and my attacks as a whole have been few and far between, I still do not know what to look for nor do I directly relate my symptoms with MS, I simply take it at face value. Like with my eye, stress headache or eye infection, MS was the last thing on my mind.

I am looking forward to getting my vision back, I am just thankful that I have the summer to heal and do not have to worry about reading or writing class notes at the moment.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
    curious11
    Inactive
    (female)

curious11 HB User

I experienced optic neuritis 3 years ago, and thought it was because I had been going tanning. A couple of days before, I was in the tanning booth, when I got out I could not see. It was the craziest thing but my vision was almost completely gone. I had to sit and ask for a cup of water. I think it was my body telling me it was getting way too much heat and aggravating the optic nerves. I ended up gettin very blurry vision a few days later and it did not return for about a month. I had ON again this past summer prior to being diagnosed. I had 2 rounds of 5 day solumedrol and it finally cleared up. As for the l hermittes... I developed that last summer as well, in the midst of the attack. Right now it is not present

Prissy... I am sure the Neurologist or OpthoNeuro. that you saw for your ON told you that it may be "retro bulbar" in which case it would only be seen with an MRI. When I had ON last year, my vision was 20/100 but they could see no inflammation. They agreed that it was ON, but couldn't exactly prove it.

Closed Thread