It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• question about "flareups" and how often they occur

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
    Ariesladi25
    Inactive
    (female)

Ariesladi25 HB User
    question about "flareups" and how often they occur

Hello!

I have a question regarding ms "flareups"... I am on here becasue my husband has had ms for 12 years... and right now he is going through one of the worst flareups and its basically his 3rd major flareup in 12 years....

He was diagnosed in 1996 with ms, with symptoms being numbness from the neck down.... He is not sure if he was taking medication at that time for it, his next experience with a flareup was in 2001,where again it was numbness from the neck down... at that time, he was taking the iv,selemedrol, ...now, in 2006... he has the numbness in face, fatigue, some speech problems and brain fluttering.... he just finished his selemedrol..and is tappering off with prednisone...

In between the years he would have numbness in hands or legs, but nothing to the extent wehre he went to see the doctor... it seems like his flare ups are aboutr 5yrs apart each time...has anyone out there experienced anything similar to this pattern? Any advice would be great!!!
    thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2006, 07:20 PM   #2
    StephanieAnne
    Veteran
    (female)

StephanieAnne HB User
    Re: question about "flareups" and how often they occur

HI amc

I was dx'd 12/2004 my first flare was 3/04 one month after my father died, my left side was numb and I could not raise my right hard/arm past my chin, with bed rest I recovered, and was back to normal. In 8/04 I started another flare and that one lasted until Thanksgiving, and I had 2 separate 5 day infusions of Solumedrol, I was left with my right arm numb from my fingertips to shoulder, it will probably be numb forever.

I believe that stress is my trigger, I had L'hermittes for a couple of years and never knew what it was, and I didn't even tell my neuro about that until I was already dx'd, then w/the sudden death of my dad, and in August we had a big celebration of his life party at my parents house, I think the stress from that party caused my 2nd relapse.

I was fortunate that I was dx'd within months, I take an Avonex shot once a week, is your hubby on any of the CRAB [Copaxone, Rebif, Avonex, Betaseron] drugs?

I do notice now times when things are worse for me, Depression, fatigue, and I listen to my body and do what it wants, I found that was the easiest thing for me. Plus, alot of us posters here have changed to a whole food diet, lots of water and vitamins and nutritional supplements and that helps alot. There are alot of things that your hubby can dom read thru some of the posts on here, lots of good info, and lots of nice people here that are living with the same issues as your hubby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread