It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Does it sound like I have MS?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
    wareagle85
    (male)

wareagle85 HB User
    Does it sound like I have MS?

First off, I'm a 20 year old male living in Alabama with no knowledge of MS running in the family.

About a week ago I woke up and noticed that my body seemed to be trembling. It is most noticible when I'm lying down and started off in my chest and often occurs in my arms and legs. I've never had steady hands, but I'm unable to hold a piece of paper still without it shaking or hold a glass of liquid without showing noticble movement of the liquid inside. I don't think the trembling is noticible to other people, but somewhat feels more of an internal thing.

However, when I perform certain motions such as drinking out of a bottle, applying pressure to something for more than 10-15 seconds, or bending my knees/squatting for several minutes I will begin to shake noticibly. I've been fairly active in sports my whole life (with the exception of these last two years in which i've gotten very little excercise) and my diet isn't exactly great.

A couple of days after I noticed the trembling, I began to notice how both of my feet were very cold. I've always had people touch my bare feet and comment on how cold they were, but it never physically bothered me. However, this last week my feet have felt (internally, as well to the touch) cold. I wear wool socks and it does very little to heat them up.

I went to a family doctor a couple days ago and he told me it could be any number of things. He did a blood test to check for thyroid problems and other such things and everything came back negative. I've been reading about symptoms of MS online and the fact that I'm experiencing cold feet and a trembling body, I'm starting to get worried.

Not every website mentions cold feet as a symptom for MS, but a few I've looked at do. I'm suffering from no eye problems, no physical pain (besides very cold feet), and no sexual/bladder problems.

I do, however, like to sleep a lot. I can easily sleep 10+ hours, but I don't know if that is classified as being fatigued. I'm not really tired when I'm awake... I just like to sleep a lot.

Thanks for reading this and any input/advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2006, 11:58 PM   #2
    gib70
    (female)

gib70 HB User
    Re: Does it sound like I have MS?

MS symptoms vary widely making for a difficult diagnosis. The only way to diagnosis MS is to have several tests done: MRI of spine and brain, spinal tap, evoked potential tests and lots of blood work to rule everything else out. If you have lesions on either the brain or spinal cord, a positive spinal tap result or any of your evoked tests come back positive you MIGHT have MS. Not all the tests have to be positive. I think it's rare for people to fit the diagnostic criteria perfectly but there has to be a positive results somewhere in there for a doctor to even consider MS. I had cold feet initially when I was first diagnosed so that is definitely a symptom but it could also be poor circulation. Just no way to tell. If you're serious about pursuing this, have your GP refer you to a neurologist and start the testing for MS. But remember to keep your options open and don't let yourself be convinced it's one thing and lose sight of other possibilities.

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
    lilc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lilc HB User

wareagle, the trembling you describe sounds very similar to intention tremor, which I have. It is a tremor (shaking) that gets worse when you use your muscles, as opposed to when you are resting. It is a neurological condition, but can be completely unrelated to anything else. While it can be a symptom of MS, it probably doesn't count as a "red flag"!
    I've also had trouble over the years with cold feet and hands, but again there can be many other reasons for that.
    Go ahead and see a neuro, my hunch is they won't suspect MS, but may be able to treat the tremor if it is bothering you. (Oh, but the preferred med for benign tremor is a blood pressure med, when I took it my hands and feet were even COLDER!)

Old 06-30-2006, 08:50 AM   #4
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi Ware,

I get some sort of tremoring (mostly at night) which feels like an internal thing as well. It's very hard to describe. Sometimes it wakes me up & at first I thought maybe my heart was racing like mad, but felt my pulse & it seemed normal. Then realize I still feel that trembling feeling like inside my chest, shoulders & arms. A few times I noticed it during the day but its usually when I fall asleep or I wake up from it, or when I wake up in the morning.

I also get severe pain in my spine & it seems like my tremoring gets magnified when Im in alot of pain. So for me, maybe that's all it has to do with.

But I do know what you mean about the feeling that your insides are shaking.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:39 AM   #5
    Ajex
    (male)

Ajex HB User

Hi Wareagle,

Many of my symptoms match up similar towards yours such as the trembling of the body and the shaking of the hands. My main purpose is to find whether or not many of my symptoms match up to MS. Aside from the other symptoms stated I have felt fatigued for the past 6 weeks. I have even experience two occasions where I almost passed out while on the computer. I even had to lay down for a bit to recover. I havent experience fatigue to the point of not fully functioning, but it seems I just feel extremly tired and weak. Especially in the muscles of the legs and arms.

Another main concern is I do experience pain. Is pain a significant symptom in order to look into MS more seriously? I have experience this pain from a young age and it has become more frequent untill now at the age of 19. The pain is a sharp or acute pulse that can happend absolutely anywhere on my body. The pulses happen in a consecutive manner, with sort pauses in between, and last between 4 and 8 times. They appear randomly from the tips of my fingers, to the middle of my arms and legs, to back of the head, face, and sides of my body. I have even felt 2 at a time at different areas. After they go away, and can not even identify anything that causes them or any of their after affects. Some can be pretty unbearable at times. Is this anything that resembles a MS symptom? Or is it something else?

I have encountered burning/sharp pain. A few pricks and needles at times, mostly while trying to go to sleep.(Is it similiar to if your hairs where moving?) It is hard to say whether or not I feel balance issues. I do occasionly feel my body weight is sifted unevenly from either side when I move and turn. I just don't feel like I'm connected enough within my body as I did 6 weeks ago.

Recently within the month I have had also an espisode for a week or 2 with speech problems. A few times I have slurred words and I always feel my thoughts run faster than I can speak. And for years I seemed to cough occasionly from water when I drink it. There is also the experience of losing the sense of my hands when I go to bed. And I can also say I have some sort of bladder dysfuntion. Whether having to going all the time, or having the sense of urination right after I have already gone. Do these minor symptoms matter? I can never tell if I'm looking into my symptoms too much.

I just recently have had a diagnosis with a neurologist about MS. He gave a physical examination and said I was okay. And referred me to a psychologist saying it could be resulting from drepression or anxiety. Has anyone been referred like this? I'm just taking into consideration of whether or not my neurologist may have overlooked through things. Any thoughts? I thank anyone who shares some piece of mind.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:54 AM   #6
    iluvsiamese
    (female)

iluvsiamese HB User

I have MS, but I also have Essential tremors which MS of course, doesn't help but I've had the tremors all my life and not the MS although i've had MS symptoms since I was a teenager... Your tremors sound more like essential tremors, they can slur your speach, and making purposeful movements makes it more apparent. You can look up more info at the essential tremor foundation if you do a search... hope that helps a little. I really wouldn't worry too much about it, because if by some chance MS is your problem, there's nothing worse than stress on it, and even if you don't have it stress can do so many other things to you that will drive you crazy. It gets to be a vicious cycle if you let it. For the tremors I take propanalol (Inderol... generic), which is actually a medicine for epilepsy, but it really works great for the tremors.

Closed Thread