It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• brain mri and hair spray/makeup

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
    Rorie
    (female)

Rorie HB User
    brain mri and hair spray/makeup

I have an MRI tomorrow to see how things have changed. My doctor has never told me to avoid hairspray and makeup etc. for an MRI, but I read somewhere that it could interfere with the test. In the past, I have went without hair spray and makeup, but I hate to do that because I will be meeting with the doctor immediately after and I don't want to look like I just got out of bed.

What do you think? Is it ok to use these products on the day of an MRI? Also, I know metal is harmful...so ladies, do you wear bras? (metal clip in the back). Do you wear sweats so there is no metal zipper on your pants? And what about metal on your shoes?

thanks for the help. please let me know asap as I go in tomorrow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
    Tasia9
    (female)

Tasia9 HB User
    Re: brain mri and hair spray/makeup

When I had my MRI in July, I was told not to wear any make-up because some make-ups contain metal, believe it or not. Also I was told to wear clothing with no metal clasps or zippers. I was suggested to wear sweats with elastic waist and not to wear a bra. A sports bra is okay. The lady that did my MRI told me that once she wore a bra with metal clasps to work and evertime she was close to the machine whe was getting snapped because the clasps were pulling away from her attracted to the machine. Hope this helps and good luck to you
    Tasia

Old 09-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
    KissAmeGal
    (female)

KissAmeGal HB User

I've had a few MRI's done......and was told not to wear make-up, and as far as the clothes, when i got there, as 2 times i was not in the hosp., they gave me scrubs to change into, so no bra either.

good luck to ya
    shellie

Old 09-13-2006, 07:01 AM   #4
    Natatude
    Veteran
    (female)

Natatude HB User

i had lot's of MRI's and i don't wear make up but they always ask if i have any on,, i guess if i did i would have to go wash my face,,, also it is on the brain and neck and i wear jeans plus my bra and have never had to take anything off. it might be different if it was a whole spinal one i am not sure cause i have never been given one of those unfortunately!

Old 09-13-2006, 09:02 PM   #5
    iluvsiamese
    (female)

iluvsiamese HB User

I've never thought about the make up, and can't remember being asked, but I don't wear a lot of makeup, as for clothes, I've had to change out of my clothes everytime I've had an MRI, I would just try to avoid any metal in your clothing.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
    lilc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lilc HB User

I don't wear makeup, but was told hair gel was fine. I've had 3 MRIs, wore sports bra and jeans (with metal rivets) and never had to change clothes. I've had full spine MRI in those jeans!

Closed Thread