It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• How long does the MS Hug last?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
    Jenny R.
    Inactive
    (female)

Jenny R. HB User
    How long does the MS Hug last?

I am not diagnosed with MS, but have a few symptoms. I have had weird things going on for 6 years now. When they say MS hug, I at one time when this all started, had a feeling come over me, that felt like labor contractions, it lasted for about a half an hour, and left and never returned. I had a normal brain and cervical MRI this year, where would the lesions have to be to cause the Hug? Does it usually stay around for a few days? Lastly, is this usually later in the disease or does it not matter. Could it present itself this way right off the bat? Thank you so much!!!! I forgot to say that at this time I was experiencing a migraine, did not eat anything all day, and about 30 minutes before this happened, I had took a Aleve on an empty stomach. Could this have been from the meds taken on an empty stomach? It felt like extreme pain and pressure but it would let up and start again, it was felt through my back into my stomach, right below my ribs. Never happened since. WEIRD!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2006, 05:38 AM   #2
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
    Re: How long does the MS Hug last?

Jenny,

A MS hug is considered a tight band aound the chest ,waiste,arms or legs.I get the tight band around my upper left arm,,like some one has put a belt around it and tightened it.I can have this last days,weeks and disappear to come back again.Usually the lesions would have to be above the site thats being hugged.

Toni

Old 10-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
    Jenny R.
    Inactive
    (female)

Jenny R. HB User

Nuffs3, thanks for the info. Its not usually that normal for it to only last for an 1/2 hour or hour then, huh? and never come back. If it were in my rib area then a thoracic and cervical MRI, and brain would have shown a lesion then, right? I never had a thoracic, just cervical and everything was normal, same as the brain MRI. Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 10-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Jenny,

MRI's are not the only technigue used to DX MS.Not all lesions show on MRI's.I just had a VNG done a test for balance,it came back lesions in brain stem or left cerebral hemispere.I had an MRI a week before that test and it didn't show lesions in that area.
    Evoked potentials are of great use when symptoms are comparible to MS and the MRI's are normal.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
    Jenny R.
    Inactive
    (female)

Jenny R. HB User

Nuffs3, how long did you have symptoms before your mri was positive? Does my symptoms sound like MS to you? I have to say also that xanax seems to alleviate alot of my weird tickly feelings. These feelings are here everyday, they have not went away in 4 years. What do you think?

Old 10-28-2006, 02:26 AM   #6
    Albertagirl
    (female)

Albertagirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nuffs3
    Jenny,

A MS hug is considered a tight band aound the chest ,waiste,arms or legs.I get the tight band around my upper left arm,,like some one has put a belt around it and tightened it.I can have this last days,weeks and disappear to come back again.Usually the lesions would have to be above the site thats being hugged.

Toni
    I nver knew that! about the ms hug being felt in other places besides the upper chest area.

I had something happen to me twice, once last year just 2 days after christmas and the other time it happened was the next summer during one of the hottest days.

What I experience though was this strange feeling around my abdomen and back, felt like I had been laughing hysterically for a long time although I was just sitting and watching a movie with my family both times, they just started suddenly.

My abdomen felt really tight like a cramp stuck in there and it was uncomfortabe to eat, to walk, basically to do anything at all and the only thing that helped me was sitting with a pillow on my lap kinda hugging it.

Also both times it happened they lasted for 5 whole days!!
    I even ended up in emergency because it was just soooo uncomfortable!!

DX? They had no clue what it was and was sent home to rest until it passed.
    Oh and by the way, I am still undx but just recently starting over from scratch with a new DR.

He wants to do the all the tests himself to make sure my previous Dr didnt miss anything.

So does what I experienced sound like it could have a possible ms hug?

We still don't know why that happened but I have always been curious about it.

Thanx

Closed Thread