It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Electric shock sensation...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
    AngelOfLight82
    (female)

AngelOfLight82 HB User
    Question Electric shock sensation...

I get this electric shock like sensations in my head as well as in the back of my neck. These shocks are really painful, but only last a few seconds. It feels like a sharp shooting pain & electric shock seems to be the only way I can describe it. I was wondering if anyone else experiences this.

Also...does fatigue &/or stress cause MS to become worse??? I'm just wondering if fatigue or stress can cause more MS symptom to arise. If anyone could help, I would appreciate it! Thanks!!!

XOXO

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
    SRSuper
    (female)

SRSuper HB User
    Re: Electric shock sensation...

i call these "the zings"
    i get them on the sides of my fingers and toes, right where my skin meets my nails.
    i am not sure what causes them, only it feels ridiculous while they happen.

Being that fatigue can be a MS symptom, its hard to say what is caused by what.
    tiredness is tiredness. if you run a marathon, u can be tired. doesnt mean MS. its tough.
    STRESS i hear does exacerbate some peoples symptoms, but some, it actually relieves them- I think it would depend on the stress. there IS good stress and bad stress, positive kind that releases endorphines and a wee bit of adrenaline.
    negative kind that creates muscle tension and overtakes your thought process...
    make sure you find balance.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:14 PM   #3
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Angel;

I get this I have 2 different types,lhermittes--when I bend my neck forward,I'll get electric impulse in my spine.I get another electrical sensation,I can be doing about anything and get electrical shocks in my right foot and they are quite painful until gone.
    I'm suffering from fatigue right now,its a symptom of my MS at the present.I take several naps a day to refresh myself.
    Stress can cause symptoms to flair up.I know if I get up set or stressed my existing symptoms can tend to get worse.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
    AngelOfLight82
    (female)

AngelOfLight82 HB User
    Wink Re: Electric shock sensation...

Thank you both for responding to my post, I appreciate it. I get these shock sensations a lot more lately. I do also get these shocks or jolts in my arms & legs as well. I would have to say that the ones in my neck are the most painful. Thank god it only lasts a few seconds. I don't know what I would do if it is an ongoing thing.

I get fatigued just doing the normal things such as cleaning the house, watching TV, working on the computer, etc. I'm not an active person, but I wish I was. When I get tired my eyelids feel real heavy & my eyes burn. I also feel weak all over. Stress is a daily part of my life...itís who I am. I try to not get so worked up about little things, but sometimes it can be hard. My main thing that has me stressed is money. I'm sure this is the number one "STRESSER & KILLER" among many. It's really hard to coupe with money issues when you are being harassed due to bills being over due & there is no money to buy food or even put gas in the cars. I'm hoping that things turn around! Thanks again for the replies!!!

XOXO

Old 11-27-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Angel,

This is the worst time of the year for stress,especially over money.Maybe having some else pay the bills,or pay partial payments with a letter of explanation.Some facilities will even let you have a deferred payment on auto loans,morgage.This may help.If food is an issue many local communities have food banks.It sounds embarrassing,but no man has ever died by choking on his or her pride.
    You might need to speak with your Dr about your stress level,theres many low dose meds available that can help you cope a little easier.Once the stress is managed.maybe the symptoms will subside some.
    Fatigue is a common symptom that many with MS have.I just slept 2 hours.I cleaned up the house this morning,gave the 2 dogs a bath,fixed lunch and I was out.Now I've gotta take my daughter to work fix dinner and I'll vegatate the rest of the night.
    I don't get a lot of help around here,I do all the cleaning,cooking,if something breaks I fix it.I pay all the bills,run the kids every where,pick them up from work.I finally had to see my neuro and say hey doc,everything right now is to overwhelming,low does of buspar has done wonders.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:33 AM   #6
    WriterLass
    (female)

WriterLass HB User

Hi, those shocks are called "trigeminal neuralgia", and I know there is medication available for it. Unfortunately, I don't know what those meds are, but if you do a search I'm sure you'll get lots of info. There are neurologist who specialize in this particular disorder (along with L'Hermittes and Reynauds). Good luck.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:47 AM   #7
    dawnies
    (female)

dawnies HB User

Hiya, at last i have found somebody else that gets these awful electric shock like pains, I thought it was just me going slightly mad, I get them in my neck and up into my skull and if i think quickly enough and put some warmth on my neck it usually stops it. Mine tend to come and go i can have them many times a day for a week and then nothing the following week and taking painkillers does,nt help because by the time you have them out of the packet the pain is gone again, Keep Well.

Closed Thread