It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Lumbar Puncture :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2007, 05:33 AM   #1
    Thes
    (female)

Thes HB User
    Question Lumbar Puncture :(

I have all the MS symptoms for 5 months, MRI scan are positive (5 lesions, 1 active), but the doctors won't give diagnosis untill I have a lumbar puncture.
    I tried to have one 4 months ago, but I fainted (first time in life, I was so scared). Please tell me did all of you had a LP. Is it painful, DANGEROUS?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
    coretta
    (female)

coretta HB User
    Re: Lumbar Puncture :(

When I was diagnosed, I had to get a LP. The doc tried 3 times in the hospital room and it was not fun. However, they then had me scheduled to do it under X-Ray and it went easy as pie. Just be sure to drink caffeine afterwards, don't pick up anything, stay in bed for 24 hours. I had a spinal headache because I was feeling so good that I picked up my baby. Definitely not fun. Good luck. I will say that if I ever need another LP, I will only do it under x-ray.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
    Thes
    (female)

Thes HB User

thank you for your answer coretta,
    when you say x-ray you mean the machine they use when you break an arm or leg? or is it a special machine. Was the doctor in the x-ray room as well. Because from my experience they usually stay out.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
    coretta
    (female)

coretta HB User

I called it xray but there was a fancier name for it. But simply, it was under xray. There was a radiology doc, not neuro. They don't make any promises, but it was night and day compared to the poke and feel of the neuro resident trying to find the right spot. Under xray, they could pinpoint where they wanted to go, and although they might have hit a nerve, they didn't. They also had the table go up so the fluid drained more easily. I'd talk to your doc about it. I also HIGHLY recommend getting a valium or something beforehand to calm your nerves. I did that with the MRI and LP and it made a big difference. Keep me posted.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
    justbeachy40
    (female)

justbeachy40 HB User

I had an LP a couple of weeks ago. I am terrified of needles and had myself worked up pretty good beforehand and despite the valium was a nervous wreck. It ended up being a lot of tears for pretty much nothing. The worst part for me was when they gave me the shots of lidocaine to numb the area, that stings. I also had mine with fluoroscopy (xray) and it went pretty easy. There was a little "electrical" jolt down my leg when they went thru the lining of the cord, and that feels weird, but other than that, I just laid there and kept my mind off of it by quizzing the doctors about their personal lives. They kept me entertained, or maybe I kept them entertained, I don't know. Anyway, I was really scared when I went in and won't be when and if I have to do it again. Do stay horizontal for the 24 hours after and drink some coffee. They actually gave me coffee at the hospital after the procedure. Good luck!

Old 02-07-2007, 05:54 AM   #6
    LaLady
    Inactive
    (female)

LaLady HB User

Thes, if you search these boards you will find every extreme of LP experience. I had an very easy time although I was quite nervous beforehand.

I had mine under fluoroscope (X-ray) and it went pretty smoothly. I stayed horizontal for about 45 minutes and then went to the Mall to shop!

There are others who were not so lucky. I believe you can request a medication to relax you and that will make it easier.

I think LPs are much worse to contemplate then they are to actually have.

Good luck to you and welcome to the boards.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #7
    OliverBocca
    (female)

OliverBocca HB User

The numbing medicine before the actual "punch" was painful, but it was fine. I brought my husband with me and he watched like a hawk that all was well. He said my doctor, who did it in the office, was just perfect at it... one punch in, filled up the vials (clear fluid... who knew?) and off we went to take it to the lab.

One caveat... the lab was SUPPOSED to draw blood at the same time they got the lumbar punch fluid but they did not (it was to correlate findings with the lambar fluid). Gladly, my Neuro had drawn an extra vial of spinal fluid and they were able to run the extra test using it.

Be sure your lab doesn't need blood from you when you drop off the samples. It will save you from anxiety!

Last edited by OliverBocca; 02-07-2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Redundancy! Yuck!

Old 02-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
    painsucks
    (female)

painsucks HB User

I'm glad to hear that most of the replies have been fairly positive. I must have been the odd ball because my LP was awful! I have told my neuro that I don't care what he says, I will never have another one. The only explanation that we've been able to come up with as to why I was in so much pain during the procedure is because I have 7 damaged discs. The assumption is that perhaps the needle went into one of those areas and caused me the tremendous pain. So good luck to you, let us know how it goes!

Old 02-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
    Thes
    (female)

Thes HB User

Thank you all for sharing your experience. You all help me go on with it. I will propably have it done next week. I will let know how it goes.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
    OliverBocca
    (female)

OliverBocca HB User

Yay! Good for you!

Old 02-14-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
    topsy123
    (female)

topsy123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    I have all the MS symptoms for 5 months, MRI scan are positive (5 lesions, 1 active), but the doctors won't give diagnosis untill I have a lumbar puncture.
    I tried to have one 4 months ago, but I fainted (first time in life, I was so scared). Please tell me did all of you had a LP. Is it painful, DANGEROUS?
    Let me tell you, a lumbar puncture is not painful. God knows why there is so much hype about it. If anything is gonna sting its gonna be the anesthetic, to numb the area, and that lasts about a second. Be brave, I was petrified to begin with and in tears with fear, then before you know it, its done. Just remember to lay very still whilst its being done, my doctor hit a nerve as he passed the needle through and my leg jerked upwards, I laughed about it, as it was just a weird sensation going down my leg. You can do it, you realy can, do it, get it over with and be proud of yourself.......thinking of you Topsy123...

Old 02-17-2007, 07:12 AM   #12
    Thes
    (female)

Thes HB User

I finally did it two days ago. It was really nothing. No pain no headaches after, no nothing. The only thing is I almost fainted again but that was due to the position I had during the LP. I changed position and all went fine. Thank you all for the courage you gave me, as soon I have results I will it share it with you.

If someone is thinking about having and a LP I would say go ahead and do it, it's really nothing.

Closed Thread