It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

Can a MS brain improve with rehab?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
JustDave4now
Veteran
(male)

JustDave4now HB User
Can a MS brain improve with rehab?

I have an odd question. Can a brain that is suffering memory issues improve if that problem is medicially based. What I mean, is if it has a gray matter damage does trying to improve it help.

I bought this software to Improve you memory, called "Test & improve your Memory" it comes highly recomended. Supposedly you can improve your cognative skills and memory process with practice. But does that imply to a lession hampered brain, is it a waste of my time to try for improvement?

I took the base test and scored in the bottom 20% for distractability and short term memory, way bellow the average, though I am in the 90% for other brain functions, so I wonder is it more like a scar that will not change, or more like a wound that can be routed around if I put in the effort.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of rehab? I would hate to go through life constantly forgetting things that just happened, that would be a bummer indeed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
Punkdizzle
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User
Re: Can a MS brain improve with rehab?

I don't have a yes or no answer for you but i have often wondered the same thing.. i have very bad short term memory..never tried working on it..
probably because i always forget.. hehe

but i do remember watching something a few years ago on either Discover or the Heath ch. about a person that was in an accident and smashed their head so bad they lost part of their brain ( DRs actually had to remove some of it and part of the skull) anyway they lost some function because of it.. i don't recall what functions they lost...

later in the show they were saying how over time the brain rerouted the signals to good nerves and they did regain the functions they lost.. it could have been a 1 in a million thing with this person or it could be sort of the norm for a persons brain to try and do this... i don't know.. but pretty cool none the less.. so i guess there can be hope for us MSers if a person that is missing some of their brain can get some function back id think our odds would be a little better since we still have a whole brain even if it is all marked up with lesions.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
lilc
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

Dave, don't ever give up on your brain. I've seen similar shows on Discovery, seems brains can overcome some damage. ALSO, lesions in the brain aren't necessarily permanent, they can heal completely or leave scars, there just isn't a definitive answer.
Personally, I was having a lot of cognitive difficulty for a couple of years before my dx. I have improved dramatically, especially since starting Copaxone. They say you aren't supposed to improve with the meds (just hopefully not get worse) but cognition has definitely improved for me.
Finally, I do believe those "train your brain" things are entirely worth doing. Keep working at it, you'll be THRILLED when you see improvement!

Old 03-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
OliverBocca
(female)

OliverBocca HB User

I use a Nintendo DS Lite and a program called Brain Age; I have improved my "brain age" from 66 at the first use two months ago to 44 (two years older than I am biologically). I have seen a noticable improvement in my short and long term memory and most certainly my math ability.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
kimpossible67
Veteran
(female)

kimpossible67 HB User

Is that Nintendo game fun? I've heard it's helpful. I play online Canasta to keep my mind sharp, it isn't working, lol.
I was diagnosed adhd a few years ago but now I wonder. Maybe early onset of MS.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:08 AM   #6
michael178
Veteran
(male)

michael178 HB User

I think you can improve your memory but there is no fixing the MS damage to your meylin unless it is done through a metabolic process. Memory exercises aren't going to do that.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
OliverBocca
(female)

OliverBocca HB User

I don't know that I consider the game fun or not... I really look at it as work, something I have to do, you know? I do like the benefits I am getting from it, though, and it is very portable ... so I can use it as I wait for things like doctor's appointments. :-)

Closed Thread