It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Balance Issues - anyone else like this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
    jbrady33
    (male)

jbrady33 HB User
    Balance Issues - anyone else like this?

Hello All,

My wife has MS and would like to know what some other people go through with Balance issues. All of the literature describes dizziness and vertigo as "spinning sensations" but that doesn't quite describe what she has. she decribes it as being almost pulled to the floor, not spinning. It can happen while walking, standing still or even sitting. She can be sitting at a table and will grab for the edge of the table as it feels like she is being pulled to the floor. This doesn't seem to be a weakness issue, it is the actual sensation of being pulled even if her body doesn't move. Does anyone else go through any sensations like this? What are your balance issues?

She does also fall to one side sometimes, but it doesn't always happen with the sensation described above.

Thanks,
    JB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
    Re: Balance Issues - anyone else like this?

JB,

I exactly understand what your wife is going through.

I have had periods of time where I have experienced what seems to be a gravitational pull to the side for no explained reason.

I have literally fallen off the computer chair with no for warning.I have fallen down stairs,boom sense of balance gone.

I do have occasional vertigo and the ringing in my ears,but never do I have both symptoms at the same time.

The symptom of falling over and losing my balance has subsided and mostly gone for the most part.

Hopefully for your wife this is just a wacky symptom that will be short term.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
    jbrady33
    (male)

jbrady33 HB User

Thanks for responding, unfortunately this is a very persistant symptom for her and is with her all the time.

Would love to hear from more people what your experiences are.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
    unclesam612
    (male)

unclesam612 HB User

Dr. use words like vertigo and dizzy in the same sentence. Sort of redundant being that they mean the same thing vertigo is Latin for dizzy. It isn't the same all the time as . kind of lightheaded weak on one side but the other is OK bounce off things some time fall sometime not It is just the body wanting to be difficult. MS is a strange thing it makes the body do things that is just not normal and that you would never believe it could. I use a Cain for just that reason it hurt my feelings when I had to start with one but not as bad as the ground. Mine went away but it still comes back every now and again. Just one of those things we have to deal with daily. My nero gets mad at me because I joke and play with it he said it is a serious thing and I should show more concern. I ask him if I were more concerned will it go away? We all learn different ways to cope with our problems Mine is humor(most of the time) Hope your wife feels better soon

Last edited by unclesam612; 04-24-2007 at 04:06 PM.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
    tiredbunni
    (female)

tiredbunni HB User

Hi, I have MS and have delt with balance problems for a long time. Since 1991, I have tried to keep my balance. First it was a swaying motion so severe I had to hold on to something so I wouldn't fall. My doctor said it wasn't true vertigo but then what was it. Klonopin is the only thing that helps it. I know an ENT had me to the Romberg test and I failed. I fell over in a few seconds.

When walking I can be feel fine and the next thing I am on the ground. I just lost balance. I have to deal with drop in blood pressure and dizziness and then balance sometimes all at once. I have breakthrough with the swaying motion and then my neuro increases the dosage of meds. I now deal with double vision which brings new problems to keeping balance. However, not ever time I losing balance is double vision involved.

A couple of days ago, I was fine and talking to my son and next thing I couldn't stand. It wasn't dizziness but I couldn't stay on my feet. He helped me into my room.

When I fall I fall to the right side most of the time. I can't afford to fall anymore as I was dx with Osteo at the same time as MS. I use a walker it helps but not when dizzy or losing balance. I don't know if I would say it's a sensation but I really never thought about it but I will just lose balance and it can be so severe where I have crawled to my room (no one at home). It does feel like I been held to the carpet.

The Klonopin keeps that swaying motion in check. I think in a way that is a balance problem because ever try to balance on those carnivals sliding floors. Well, that is what it feels like.

I hope this helps. And I hope you wife feels better soon.

Bunni 53yrs in SC
    dx 12/06 RRMS
    Avonex, Klonopin, Flexeril

Old 04-25-2007, 06:24 AM   #6
    Gracie88
    (female)

Gracie88 HB User

jbrady33,, Just you let you know your wife is not alone I have been going throught the same thing with the dizziness and loss for balance, been checked for vertigo doc said I dont have it.(I dont have a pulling sensation) the dissiness is very difficult to live with, I have to drive to work and sometimes its so bad I cant go in, works not that understaning when you call in dizzy LOL, my doc put me on Anivert I have not stared it yet pick it up friday, I will let you know if it works, I hope your wife feels better.
    Gracie88

Old 04-25-2007, 07:10 AM   #7
    dawnies
    (female)

dawnies HB User

Hi, I know exactly what your wife means i can be sat on the sofa watching tv and all of a sudden i feel as though i am falling it is an awful feeling and i have to reach out and find something to hold onto. Also when i am walking my mind knows which way i should be going but my feet take me in a totally different direction it is fun when going round corners. I hope this will pass soon for your wife i know how unerving it can be.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

HI there. I just wanted to mention that I too, have MS and balance issues. I may not have them quite as extreme as some of you mention here, but at times, it is bad. One of the things which I have found helps me- is using a balance ball. One of those huge Yoga type balls which you can sit on. I sit on it while watching TV sometimes, just to work on my balance. I also use it along with a video tape to do strength exercises- both sit-ups and dumbells for my arms. ITs not the most difficult workout, but because your feet are on the floor and you are using your core to hold you steady, your body does learn to adapt to that falling feeling, and counter it..
    I hope this might help someone...it did help me.

nikki

Old 04-26-2007, 03:48 AM   #9
    kimpossible67
    Veteran
    (female)

kimpossible67 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gracie88 View Post
    jbrady33,, Just you let you know your wife is not alone I have been going throught the same thing with the dizziness and loss for balance, been checked for vertigo doc said I dont have it.(I dont have a pulling sensation) the dissiness is very difficult to live with, I have to drive to work and sometimes its so bad I cant go in, works not that understaning when you call in dizzy LOL, my doc put me on Anivert I have not stared it yet pick it up friday, I will let you know if it works, I hope your wife feels better.
    Gracie88
    Me too. I was officially given my "I can't go back to work" note on Tuesday. Seems, they don't like school bus drivers that are dizzy and off balance, lol.
    I started on Antivert but it didn't do much now I have Scopace and it doesn't do a whole lot either. I just stay down as much as possible when I'm dizzy.
    Does anyone notice a headache before or during the dizzy spells?

Old 04-27-2007, 06:59 AM   #10
    jbrady33
    (male)

jbrady33 HB User

My wife (and I!) thank all of you for your comments. I copy and pasted them into a document for her to read and she feels better knowing that she isn't the only one feeling this. You may see me posting more for her, thanks!

Last edited by jbrady33; 04-27-2007 at 07:00 AM.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #11
    kimpossible67
    Veteran
    (female)

kimpossible67 HB User

Can I say that I think it is wonderful that you want to be informed for your wifes sake? I can not imagine how scary it is to be the spouse or the children because I'm the patient. Kudos to you for supporting your wife like you are. When my family comes to terms with this, I hope they will be as involved as you are. Way to go!

Old 04-27-2007, 11:34 AM   #12
    bella67
    Veteran
    (female)

bella67 HB User

I'm still in the dx process, but I read your post and just had to reply. Today I was out to lunch with my sister and the VERY same thing happened to me. I was getting out of a booth, and I had to yank myself up to get to my feet. Then I felt as if my legs wouldn't move as I wanted them to.

The kicker was that I was walking past a table of two men and I didn't even know I walked right into this guys elbow where he was taking a sip of cofee, and then it spilled all over (luckily not much on him). OMG, I was mortified!! He looked pretty angry too, but I just kept apologizing, and then I went and got some napkins to clean up the mess. I have never had this happen in my LIFE. Then I was sitting there with my sister and my left leg did a spastic jerk and kicked her. I am so getting tired of not knowing what is wrong with me, but tell your wife she's not alone!

Old 04-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #13
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

I was diagnosed partly on past history -- and my history with vertigo was about 17 years ago! I think it was over a period of about a year that I was hit HARD with intermittent spells of vertigo. At this point can't recall exactly how long they lasted. (It could have been longer but I think it was half a day to a day.) Antivert did not help me either. The only thing I do clearly remember is that EVERY time it happened it was right before I got my period. It's all wild to me now, thinking that all these things might well have been MS related and of course, the neurologist who diagnosed me certainly seems to think they were.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #14
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User

(Today I've been having frequent bouts of dizziness upon standing.. and a little bit ago, it happened again.. only this time i could feel a wierd sensation in my ears. Almost like I'm in a fishbowl. Is that vertigo?)

Old 04-27-2007, 12:12 PM   #15
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

Don't know exactly what the clinical definition/difference would be but when I think of vertigo (at least as I experienced it) it's a weird spinning thing that puts the world completely off kilter -- literally makes you nauseous.

Closed Thread