It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Has heat/sun affected anyone like this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
    Familyhistory
    (male)

Familyhistory HB User
    Has heat/sun affected anyone like this?

I've been having symptoms for about 4 weeks now. All of them on/off. I went golfing today. Not very hot, 83-85 degrees with a nice breeze off of The Gulf of Mexico. I'm usually a heavy sweater when it's warm, but, it didn't seem that hot to me and hardly sweated at all. I drank plenty of water all day. The only symptom I had while playing was the tingling on the back of my neck. On the way home, I felt a little shaky and light headed, but, it seems like normal anymore. Once home, I got a little work done, ran an errand and came back home. After about 2 hours, I was talking to a client on the phone and got an unbelievable chill, like, I was freezing. My whole body was shaking. I grabbed a blanket and after 3-4 minutes in the fetal position, I quit shaking so bad. I continued to feel jittery and light headed and put on a sweatshirt and went to bed. My wife thinks maybe I got sun-poisoning. I don't tell her that I think it's MS symptoms. She gave me some Nyquil and I did fall asleep for a about an hour. It's now 4 hours after the first chills and they're gone now. I just feel the jitters a little.

Can the sun/heat affect you after you're out of it? Does this sound similar to anyone else's experiences?

Thanks, I'd appreciate any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
    mom1999
    (female)

mom1999 HB User
    Re: Has heat/sun affected anyone like this?

I'm very new here, but I was first diagnosed about four years ago now. The heat definately affects me. It can give me all kinds of strange symptoms:hoarseness, tingling, dizziness, you name it.

I DID have an experience like you described with the chills, shaking, and I couldn't get warm no matter how many blankets my hubby piled on me. It wasn't during warm weather though. It was about 60 degrees. (I live in CA., so it doesn't get cold here).

My husband was so worried that he called 911, but they could find nothing "medically" wrong with me. It all subsided within an hour. I didn't attribute it to MS, but I could attribute it to anything at all. So maybe it was an MS thing.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has had this happen.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:54 AM   #3
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Yes the heat can effect a person with MS.

The normal is when the temperature rises past its normal temp symptoms arise,usually,fatigue,light headedness,dizziness blurred visin,numbness.

Once the body temp returns to normal these symptoms disapate.

Keep in mind we recat differently to the heat and are symptoms vary.

Do you have MS?

Old 05-23-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
    Familyhistory
    (male)

Familyhistory HB User

Hi Nuffs, No, I haven't been diagnosed with MS. Right now, I've just got symptoms and an MRI that showed white matter. My GP handled that and referred me to a neuro. I haven't got that far yet.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
    beagleboy
    (female)

beagleboy HB User

This heat thing has me thinking I'm barking up the right tree. One of my favorite thing to do since I was a kid was to take long, hot baths. I used to take a TV in there and watch whole movies. Now after I take a bath I can barely move, I am sooo tired, and I feel jittery and generally miserable for several hours. For the last 3 years we have come home early from summer vacation at the beach, last year we didn't even stay overnight because I felt so bad. Even walking the dog around the block has been awful the last couple years. I just figured it was part of getting old and chunky.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
    Familyhistory
    (male)

Familyhistory HB User

I know the heat can effect you in different ways. I was just wondering if it's possible to have the bad stuff happen a few hours after being in the sun. I was in it about 4 hours with minimal effect. Today, I wasn't outside at all, except for running errands. After the 1st errand (which was to the opthamologist, who found no optic neuritis) I felt terrible, achy, tired, pain behing my eyes. I took some Advil and felt much better. After the 2nd errand, which was to get outfitted with a CPAP for my sleep apnea, I felt like I did the night before with the chills and whole body shaking. I fell asleep for a few hours and was shaking still. If I got out from under the blanket, I was freezing. I just took my temp and it was 101 the first time and 102.3 the 2nd time. The fever was minimal the night before. I'm so confused about this.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #7
    unclesam612
    (male)

unclesam612 HB User

heat really bothers me it makes me jittery and fatigue sets in. even a hot shower does it. before MS I loved the summer, being outside in the sun. Now I avoid it as much as possible.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:41 AM   #8
    Familyhistory
    (male)

Familyhistory HB User

I think I figured out what is going on. After the hospital stay a few weeks ago, they said I probably had a mini stroke. MS symptoms, which are the same, kept on and new ones, also. I found that the chills I was having and lack of sweating are symptoms of heat stroke. I believe that's exactly what happened. I was ready to go to the hospital last night and drank some Gatorade for electrolytes and ate some Ramen noodles for sodium/salt. I started sweating almost immediately, so, decided not to go. I woke up this morning dripping from sweat. Having a stroke after a mini stroke is very common. I believe that's my problems, not MS. That's a pretty big relief. Strokes are not good, but, at least, I think I know what I've got now, rather than guessing.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:59 AM   #9
    Natatude
    Veteran
    (female)

Natatude HB User

The heat and sun are awful on me,, after I found out fo sure what i had was MS in 2001,, I have had it since I was a teenager,, I was a majorette for yrs in the band and during the summer we always practiced our routines and had band camps and so on and I would get so hot and almost pass out at times, My mom would cool me down with ice take me in some a/c somewhere and I would take a short nap and wake up and be good to go again for a few hours,, and when the sun goes down at night I freeze my butt off! We have central air in our house and it is much needed but we left a Ventless heater installed in our living room in the mantle and sometimes I fire it up just to keep me from freezing to death without turning the central air off and on LOL my husband says it is the weirdest thing and he gets a laugh about it LOL but I am glad he laughs cause I have made jokes about my MS for yrs and he hated it when I laughed,, but now he is coming around.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #10
    NarLyB
    (female)

NarLyB HB User

The reason heat affects people with MS (as was explained to me by my neuro's) is because heat triggers the immune system. As we all know, MS is an autoimmune disease. Anything that causes the immune system to kick in (the latest virus, cold, heat, stress, and 1000's of other reasons) will cause the white cells to go on the attack. They unfortunately attack the wrong things in people with MS, mostly the myelin covering the CNS. When this attack occurs, there is swelling but not always damage occuring to the CNS. The swelling is what will cause the various symptoms we experience.

Everybody has a different tolerance to heat. If you are like me, I have very low tolerance, find ways to keep yourself cool. Drink lots of cold liquids, wear clothing that is not tight so that air can flow through it, check out various sites for cooling vests and bandanas (the NMSS site has links to some), or keep some of those instant ice packs with you. An ice pack on the back of my neck instantly cools me down. Hot baths and hot tubs are no longer an option for me. When I take a bath now, it's just above body temp.

When you start to feel any symptoms, it's a sign that you need to cool off. And the quicker the better. The longer you wait to cool down, the worse your symptoms will get. I'm a big fan of my garden hose and lawn sprinklers! My neighbors think I'm a little off because anytime I'm working in my yard, I quite frequently walk through the sprinklers or hold the hose on my legs.

Good luck and don't let the all-too-annoying symptoms keep you from enjoying the things you love!

Narda

Old 05-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #11
    OliverBocca
    (female)

OliverBocca HB User

For me, stress brings on the feeling that I am in the Arctic... my body just does not regulare temperatures well anymore. If I am actually hot, like I wore too many clothes and I'm stuck in the sun, I get so weak I want to drop to the ground. For me, my best friend is a fan aimed at my bed, the AC on in my car, and at home, at least two windows open for airflow. I live in a temperate area so the temps are not as high as say Texas, Arizona, New Mexico... I do know I can never really live in hot, hot climates, no matter how good the A/C might be, sigh.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #12
    c57s53
    (female)

c57s53 HB User

Here we go again guys! You all write about the heat and sun affecting you so much and it is exactly the same for me with SLE (Lupus). I would swear that if I didn't know you guys all had MS I would think for sure you all had Lupus.
    One thing that continues to bother me and I haven't been able to get any straight answers for is the neuropathy pain in my legs, back and buttocks at times as well. If I am outside in the heat and sun it brings on the terrible neuropathy pain, or if I am walking in the sun and heat it brings it on, or basically if I am just moving doing most anything it brings it on, but as soon as I stop what I am doing and get out of the sun and heat and just stand in one place and don't move, or just sit and not move, the pain immediately starts to go away. If I then get back up and take a few steps....it is right back just as intense as it was before. It drives me crazy and it is very frustrating. My summers are pretty much ruined as far as spending any time outside.

Connie

Old 05-24-2007, 09:15 PM   #13
    ewizabeth
    (female)

ewizabeth HB User

This is the first summer in four years that I haven't been on an MS treatment. I'm having very bad heat reactions already this year. If I go outside in the upper 70s and get in some sun, I get weak, feel faint and close to passing out. It's happened a couple of times already and it's still May!

I get out of the sun, try to cool off with water, etc... and rest until the feeling passes. I've tried using a spray bottle to keep cool, and it works somewhat but not a lot.

Ewizabeth

DX 01/03 RRMS Previously Avonex, Rebif & Copaxone
    Started Tysabri 6/04/07

Last edited by ewizabeth; 05-24-2007 at 09:15 PM.

Closed Thread