It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• fish oil vs. flax seed oil

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    fish oil vs. flax seed oil

Hi. Can anyone tell me the major differences between Fish Oil and Flax Seed oil as far as being anti-inflamatory properties? Does anyone know the reccommended dosage for each for MS patients? I was in the health food store today, trying to decide which one I needed more- I was taking Fish Oil and had run out...and the person there couldnt tell me the difference! I bought both!
    I also bought Vitamin D=3, would anyone happen to know the recommended dosage on that? I had heard up to 5000 iu a day, but that seems to be extreme..is it?
    Any input appreciated.
    thanks,
    Nik

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
    zadie
    (female)

zadie HB User
    Re: fish oil vs. flax seed oil

Hi nic

Just read a great book that was recommended to me called taking control of multiple sclerosis natural and medical therapies to prevent its progression. It is written by an australian professor of emergency medicine who has ms and has researched all medical journals etc.He recommend 15mls two desert spoons a day of flaxceed oil and fish oil 5 capsules 1 000mg a day as well as many other things started his formula two days ago I guess if nothing else it will take my mind off every thing else
    regards
    Michele

Last edited by zadie; 07-02-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
    Jill1221
    (female)

Jill1221 HB User

Hi Nikki,
    They are both omega 3 fatty acids. I read that fish oil is better in general because it can be used by your body "as is" and doesn't need to be converted like flax seed. It is also supposed to be stronger. However, fish oil may contain mercury, so that may be a concern. I am not taking either because I just started the Swank diet and am eating lots of fish, but I am taking evening primrose oil. Where that fits in I don't know! Confusing....

Old 07-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

As Jill said, both are Omega 3 fatty acids. However, although they are both anti-inflammatory they have different properties. I take both. My fish oil is from Spectrum -- it warrants on the label that it's derived from mercury and lead free waters. IMHO, flax seed oil capsules are a waste money and it's best to get a bottle in liquid form. You keep it in the fridge and do a tablespoon a day. The taste really isn't bad but I kind of gulp it down with a juice chaser. Flax seed oil is one of those things you can overdo -- a tablespoon or 2 a day is totally safe but I know someone who got very sick. She was taking an ENORMOUS amount -- and when I say enormous, I mean it! Cooking with it, dousing salads with it -- you name it!

D3 -- you'll probably find even the daily requirement being raised for "normal" folks soon but for us, I think that mostly a 2,000 IU dose is recommended. I'm currently taking about 1800 but I am supplementing by adding up what's already in my multi and calcium so I only need 800 extra a day (for me this is 2 400 IU capsules). I can't say I feel a difference but as you know, my symptoms are relatively mild. That said, I will tell you 2 things. A friend of mine with MS started taking 2,000 a day and she swears she's felt a difference. The other thing is that although my symptoms were mild to begin with, most days and most hours I feel tingle free where as a month ago, this was NOT the case. So are the things I'm doing helping? As with even the MS drugs, hard to say for CERTAIN what is working so you have to see how you feel and how you feel ABOUT it. For me, I feel in my gut that I'm doing the right thing. I know it may sound strange to say but things kind of have to "resonate" with you. And I do feel good about what I'm doing.

I'm also taking Evening Primrose Oil, a good brand. It's an Omega 6 oil and is known mostly for helping with hormonal balance. It's mentioned in a lot of MS natural protocol and well, most of us know about the abounding theories that exist between MS and hormones (for both men and women). A small study on testosterone was recently completed and the one on estroil (form of estrogen) is being conducted now.

The other thing I'm doing that I am going to continue with is Turmeric Force. Turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. It was that or eating a gallon of curry! Check out the carton the bottle comes in -- there is a very interesting graph about toxicity reduction over a period of 30 days.

I have to say, I feel pretty good but I'm sure I will keep on experimenting and refining as I learn more and gage how I feel. Of course, none of these things are guarantees. Again, you have to see how you feel and feel about it.

Last edited by Bearygood; 07-02-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:47 AM   #5
    parisiancat
    (female)

parisiancat HB User

Zadie, that book is my bible!

Beary, I also feel that this is the right way treat ms for ME. You are right. Whatever treatment plan people decide to follow, it should feel right. This disease is so completely different for every patient so it should follow that different treatments work for different people. And you know, even if it doesn't make a big difference longterm (which I believe it will, for me), I feel great, my symptoms are subsiding and I feel really positive (I was a naturally pesimistic person before dx anyway).

Nikki, I take fish oil only. Have been reading about flaxseed oily only recently. As for vitamen d - the absolute best way to get Vitamen D is through skin absorbtion. Fifteen minutes of full body (wearing a swimming costume or shorts) sun exposure, three times a week, should be enough to get your dose. Obviously not in midday sun, but early morning sun. I'm from Ireland so I don't have access to regular sun! I am considering using sunbeds to regulate my UVB exposure but haven't fully decided yet.

Cat

Cat

Old 07-03-2007, 03:27 AM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

hi everyone, thank you for your responses!
    Cat, interesting note...I tried the tanning booth thing, thinking it would both make me feel better as well as give me Vitamin D. Big Mistake (for me). Not only did the intense heat knock me out, I almost fainted after 11 minutes in a tanning bed with STRONG fans, but while on Rebif, you are more susceptible to skin burns..and I got one....as for being outside, I cant. Basically if I am in the heat for more than 10 minutes, its a week in bed for me. I have to avoid the heat, and right now, its been hovering at close to 100 degrees with 90% humidity. Im not even going to TRY to get my 10 minutes in...so I figured vitamins to supplement.
    Bearygood: Knew I could count on you to respond to this...thank you! Just wondering though, you said flaxseed capsules are NO good. The girl in the vitamin store, (worthless as she was) said that the brand she sold me was "the same thing". Its in a dark bottle, has to be kept refrigerated, and claims to have NO additives, etc. Why, in your opinion, isnt it the same? Im really curious. I read much on this last night, and am not truly understanding why its different. My fish oil does state it is from Mercury Free and Lead Free waters, but thanks for reminding me to check! And, my vitamin B3, are 2000 IUs so I guess one a day, with the multi on top of it, will help.
    Ill tell you, if THIS helps me hand at all, Ill be thrilled, I was spurned on to try this, simply because NOTHING else has helped. Not topical, not prescription, nothing. Maybe if I go from the inside out....

Jill, Good luck with that Swank diet. I tried it when I was first dx, and couldnt do it. I cook for 5 people in my house, and there was no way I could either afford to make 2 meals a night, nor stick to the diet. I do eliminate red meat completely, and I do eat extra fatty fish....veggies and fruit were never a problem, but pasta became one! I love my pasta! Good luck to you.
    thank you all for writing to me about this, its much appreciated!
    Zadie, good luck to you as well. Ill look for the book!
    Regards and a happy day..
    Nikki

Old 07-03-2007, 05:28 AM   #7
    glamour girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glamour girl HB User

hi there . Ive also have been told to take Vitamin D WITH using the solarium sun beds as it absorbs better 3times a week for no more than 8 minutes. Hmm at least my new color will make me feel better haha...

Re; fish oil vs Flaxseed oil . i also tried the flaxseed oil for ME i felt no different. waste of money for me too.. But am told the fish oil is far better absorbed in liquid form so i'm taking 1 tablespoon 1x a day. its totally gross but they do say ..if it tastes bad, its better for you. lol..

I love this board, you guys are such a inspiration to me.. thanxs 2 u all for sharing yr tips..

Old 07-03-2007, 06:11 AM   #8
    Jill1221
    (female)

Jill1221 HB User

Hey Nikki - I have only been doing the diet a week now and so far it is pretty doable. I think mostly because it is summer time and we grill almost every night so it is no problem to make ribs for those other people in my house and chicken/fish for me. We will see how winter goes (especially the holidays). The other thing that helped is the fact that I tried to do the Best Bet diet for MS first and on that diet you can't eat much. It seems to be far more restrictive. But oh how I miss cheese. I am wondering why you couldn't eat pasta? Is it just because of the sauces/meats?
    Good luck with your supplements - it seems that all comments have been positive and I hope that it helps you too.

J

Old 07-03-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cat, re: skin absorption, I'm sure you're right. However, it takes A LOT of sun to get what we MSers need, much more than what's healthy. All the recent articles on supplement protocol include taking D3 orally. Even my friend's conservative neurologist recommended this to her. Anyone out there who's thinking about this, note that D3 is different from D2. If it contains D3, it will specify and usually indicate that it's in the form of cholecalciferol. Glamour Girl, interesting that you do both.

Zadie and Cat, what's the name of that book?

Nikki, re: Flax Seed Oil, it's the same thing. Sorry if I didn't make myself more clear -- I was just saying that in my opinion, the capsules are a waste of money; that the liquid is a much better value. Re: fish oil, after having the current bottle for over a month, I just realized last week that I was supposed to put that in the fridge too! Duh. The company said it was still okay but I will be reading my bottles carefully from now on!

Re: pasta, it's both the gluten and sugar. I love my pasta too! I haven't been following a strict regimen but I have certainly cut down on a lot of things. I FINALLY found the ONLY non-wheat/non-gluten pasta I've ever had that tastes good but I won't never eat real pasta again, either. Truth is that I've made a conscious effort to cut down tremendously on wheat, gluten products and dairy and I have to tell you that even not doing it totally by the book, I feel better. I'm not even talking about MS stuff (although my acupuncturist would say it's all related) -- let's just say I've had to have a lot of tissues around. Lots of coughing up going around here -- in a GOOD way. I seriously see and feel a difference in other ways as well. I've cut down on cheese but have not eliminated it completely.

I think that all or nothing, especially when you're easing into it or just experimenting, can be unrealistic. I have to reiterate though, although I've only been limiting, I still feel a difference and also, the cravings for the foods that I most bemoaned cutting out have also subsided, at least to a recognizable extent! I've always heard this but I still find it amazing. I do not feel deprived AT ALL!!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #10
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Beary,
    Youve got more willpower than me! I try and try to cut things out, but wind up "cheating' way too often. Ive been trying to quit smoking now for 3 months, its not going well. Ive tried everything from the patch, to the newest drug, Chantix, and nothing is working...this MS stuff is hard to deal with, and I always wind up picking up a cigarette. I will say though, with everything else I am doing, I have cut down significantly..so maybe smoking (or giving it up) is next....
    As for cheese and dairy. Im in envy. They do all say to stay away from it, however again, I cant do it. I have elminiated much of the stuff that is bad for you, all the fats that I can (I use olive oil in everything) and as much pasta as I can get away with ( this is an all Italian family..lol), I even eat big salads, and tiny little portions of pasta when my family screams for it, but still- giving it up entirely will be difficult.
    Thanks for explaining about the Flax seed Oil. I did find a really good buy on it at Vitaimin Shop..it was on sale for the big bottle. I figured why not? Might as well do it right. And, yup, it does say to refrigerate it....
    The fact that you are not feeling deprived is inspiring...Ill keep working on cutting out the bad stuff.
    Thanks for your comments. I knew I could count on you to help out on this one!
    Hugs,
    Nikki

Old 07-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nikki, I swear I don't. That's the weird thing. I won't even go into theories about the body and cravings -- well, they're more than theories but whatever. In any event, I'm not being incredibly diligent to the point of complete abstinence but even with that, I feel better. Just do the best you can -- that's the only thing we really all CAN do. That said, I've found a few tricks as of late. That rice pasta is astoundingly good (Bionaturae) -- it's the only thing I've ever found that comes close (disclaimer -- the only thing I've tried is the fusilli.) Still, I'm not swearing off wheat pasta totally but very much limiting my consumption. In fact, I actually haven't had it for quite a while! Starches, that's my game, baby! Give me bread, pasta and a big hunk of cheese and I'd be happy forever (well, not really, but..) I'm not a big dessert eater but I do absolutely have cravings. To satisfy those, I've been indulging in Van's gluten free waffles with flax and putting maple syrup on them. Okay, maybe not as good as as a twinkie but still, surprisingly satisfying! And yes, I have found myself craving these no-nos less! Doing other things as well but let's just say I haven't struggled one bit. This has been somewhat enlightening for me -- it's one thing to read about it and even believe in it but quite another thing to experience it personally.

Re: the flax capsules, the last time I bought them the suggested dose was 2 at each meal and I found that the bottle was empty in no time. You might have gotten a different brand and dose but that's why I now only use them when I travel and have them on hand.

Ah, lastly, you've come out of the closet and so shall I. I cut down to 2 a day and was proud of myself. I'm back to my old habits now though. I HAVE TO STOP! Sadly, it was easier when I wasn't feeling as well. What I've read about smoking and MS hasn't helped me stop either (and yes, there are things out there from very reputable sources, not new age guru type stuff). I'm going to talk to my doctor about Chantix next visit. I've heard amazing things about it and I'm sure he'll be absolutely delighted to give me a scrip for it -- but the question is, will she fill it??

Last edited by Bearygood; 07-03-2007 at 01:01 PM.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:18 PM   #12
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bearygood,
    You made me laugh with that closing comment, thanks!
    Chantix, is an interesting drug. I will tell you this, you will have weird dreams on it, and probalby not sleep as well. It gives you- ready for this? Gas! Bad! My sister, husband and father were all on it before I was, and everyone warned me...I didnt think it was possible, but it was true. SInce this isnt a smoking cessation board, Ill limit the talk to this: Is it really all that horrible to be smoking considering everything else we go thru? I mean, youre not taking shots, but darn if I dont CRAVE a cigarette while Im getting ready to stick a needle in my stomache/leg/arm! I ususally reward myself with that cigarette too.....
    With Chantix, it worked for awhile, I was down to about 3 cigs a day after taking it for 2 months...but you have to take it twice a day, like I said, I couldnt sleep on it...and ITS EXPENSIVE. About 100$ a month. My insurance didnt cover it.....overall, I couldnt see staying on a pill which not only ruined a good nights sleep, but gave me gas, and did I mention the horrible taste in my mouth? I just plain couldnt hack it. So, I wish you well. ...very well in fact. To date everyone I know who took it quit while on it, started smoking as soon as they went off it....isnt that practically the same story that everyone said while taking Wellbutrin to quit???
    Anyway, since its our MS board...Ill leave it at this. Im going to look for that pasta you mentioned.....agree that carbs and cheese are too hard to quit completely and say thanks! You gave me a much needed smile tongiht.
    Hugs to ya.
    Nikki

Old 07-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #13
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nikki, just wanted to add that you absolutely have a better excuse to smoke than I do with that needle, especially since I'm so busy finding things I can do to treat this in other ways and trying to be all healthy and such! (Still rather have my cigarette with a shot of tequila than Rebif though. )

Yours are the first warnings I've heard about Chantix -- I've really only read miraculous success stories. Well, we'll see. As for expense, bad argument, girlfriend! $100 a month doesn't usually cover a smoker's habit.

We're bad -- and we must stop!!

Old 07-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #14
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Youre absolutely right about the money....hey, did I tell you I can justify just about anything? including the need to smoke?

Bearygood, I want to thank you. Your posts always kick me in the butt and remind me what I should be, or could be doing. I really respect how you are trying to handle your disease without drugs. I truly hope it continues to work for you. My relapse when I went on Rebif was sooo severe, that I couldnt imagine life getting to that point, or worse. My doctor scared me into starting on a med immediately. Im not sorry I did, because my last MRI showed very good results, having been on Rebif for 6 months; however, as you know I havent experienced any relief in my tingley hand in almost a year now...so, now IM thinking ok- rebif for the prevention, but what about reversing what is done? I dont know if diet/supplements are going to help or not...but it cant hurt, right? Might as well do EVERYTHING instead of doing it halfway...and with that, smoking is next on my list of things to quit!

Didnt mean to bum you out with the chantix...my family hasnt experienced much success beyond the taking of the pills..meaning, the pills stop and the habit continues..but I can say that while I was on it, it took 5 weeks, but during that time, I did lose the urge and did really slow down. Unforutunatley, they tell you to get off it after 3 months...that was my downfall. If Id had the money, a few more months and I probably could have quit...(if I didnt chase my husband away in the meantime from being so bitchy!) Lack of sleep, MS symtoms and bad dreams do NOT make for a happy camper. Meanwhile, it really stinks that my family lives in PHilly and at least once a month we are buying cartons down there, where they are still 3 somthing a pack! Can you imagine? I told you I can justify....
    Have a great holiday,
    Nik

Old 07-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #15
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You didn't bum me out, LOL. I can handle a little gas (I think! ) I think it takes commitment more than anything and I'm obviously not committed but I NEED to be. As for the $$, you probably know that I can't even get them delivered from out-of-state. My sister allowed me to have them sent to her house in NJ for a while but I can't do that anymore. Not that anyone wanted to help me smoke of course, but at this point, I can't ask them to humor me. Besides my own feelings about it, it's just not fair to those who care about me. So off to the drugstore I go -- and too often!

I hear you on the other stuff, Nikki. You just don't know one way or the other, with or without taking the drugs. The painfully honest doctors will admit they don't really don't know either. So, we all take the best shot (no pun intended) that we think we have and base our decisions on different factors. You, me or anyone can always change our minds if we stop feeling good or good about our decision. The only thing I want to do is keep my mind open and continue to educate myself.

Re: your hand, speaking in terms of CAM, it would likely be regarded and treated as a circulatory issue. I didn't have it as chronically as you and for the most part it's subsided -- just a bit here and there to remind me. Let me think about this for a bit and do some research when time permits. Also, (and I know I'm pushing the limit here, LOL) I truly believe that acupuncture can help with that. I know your experience with it wasn't remarkable but I am telling you, the guy I go see is at least partially responsible for me still having a gallbladder! I think that experience and how I treated it in lieu of surgery helped make me more of a believer. As I kind of said before, it's one thing to just believe in something in theory, but quite another to experience it.

Closed Thread