It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Brain MRI - report

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
    Hope4All
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
    Brain MRI - report

I got the CD of my brain/c&t mri today........I don't have the report for my c & t because I just had it done today, but this is what my Brain MRI report says.....can anyone help me understand it? I go to the Neurologist on the 20th.

I looked at my Brain lol and it had the report on it....I cannot make heads or tails on it. Anyone know what this means? lol

The ventricles and sulci are normal in size and configuration.

There is a slight non-specific periventricular T2 prolongation.

There are 3 foci of white matter T2 prolongation noted in the frontal lobes. There are no focal enhancing lesions.

There is no hemorrhage, mass effect, or midline shift. There are no extra-axial fluid collections. There are no acute ischemic changes.

Visualized paranasal sinuses and mastoid air cells are clear.

IMPRESSION:
    1. No Acute Intracranial Abnormality
    2. Slight Periventricular Non specific white matter
    disease.

Thank
    Hope

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Brain MRI - report

Hope, not a doctor , but Id venture to say your MRI is normal! Congrats....

Old 08-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
    Hope4All
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks, I'm just wondering what Non specific white matter disease means!

Hope

Old 08-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
    cjn
    (female)

cjn HB User

Hi! That's what my neurologist told me yesterday...non specific white spots mean they don't really mean anything of any concern or importance and not MS lesions. Congrats as I'm with you here, mine said the same thing.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

thats exactly what it means, that it is not anything to be concerned about. You have a clean MRI, thats great! No MS showing there..

Old 08-15-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
    Hope4All
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Again a huge thankyou.......when I see the word "disease" it just doesn't sound like everything is normal. I'm sure you all understand what I mean.

How can they say your normal, then use words like disease? lol

Hope

Old 08-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
    linl2
    (male)

linl2 HB User

I'm not a doctor. My understanding is that a few white spots on a mri of the brain are not a particular concern; but you need the results of the spinal mri as well as the brain to rule out ms.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:56 PM   #8
    Hope4All
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by linl2 View Post
    I'm not a doctor. My understanding is that a few white spots on a mri of the brain are not a particular concern; but you need the results of the spinal mri as well as the brain to rule out ms.

Im at a loss, the doctor for my Brain mri put down to rule out MS........now for my C&T spine he put down RE: Thorasic pain..........they didn't use contrast and Im pretty sure they weren't doing an MS protocol.

He said he was doing the C/T due to the pain I get in my left breast...it twitches, tingles, burns, electric shock feeling and pain. This will come when my cycle hits and last for a few months til one day it up and disappears for 6 months!!!!!!!! I've had this for 9yrs!!!!!! As long as all my other symptoms.

So I'm worried that they weren't even looking for lesions. Guess I'll find out on Monday

Hope

Old 08-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #9
    Jill1221
    (female)

Jill1221 HB User

Hi Hope - my MRI was the same too! My neuro said that the white spots could be from migraines. He pointed out on my films that they were not in the right location or the right shape and size to be MS lesions. Don't worry about what they are looking for on your spine. Many people go in looking for lesions and find bulging discs etc. They will check it thoroughly for anything that looks to be of concern. Congrats on your "clean brain" . When do you get your other results? On the 20th? Hopefully that will be clear to and we can be in limbo land together! Hang in there.

Jill

Old 08-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
    Hope4All
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Jill.....well I have the CD with my spine on it but I have no idea what to look for lol......my brain is much cooler to look at....you can make the seperate pics go in motion, neat to watch my eyeballs bulge in and out ... lol

Im slap happy I need a nap!

Hope

Old 08-15-2007, 06:04 PM   #11
    oceangirl19
    (female)

oceangirl19 HB User

Since having problems 6 months ago,
    I've had three brain MRIs and they have
    pretty much all said the same thing as yours!
    I have a c-spine MRI on Saturday and hopefully
    have some resolutions by next week...ugh...I HATE
    the waiting game...is it always a sit and wait game???

Rachel

Old 08-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #12
    Hope4All
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

It didn't take long for my DX of Fibro.....just like 4 YEARS!!!!!!!!! I was told its all in your head!

I'm not sure whats going on with me, only the Dr can tell me. Many on here say my MRI is normal and Ive had others that tell me that where my white matter is, basically is where MS hangs out and that white matter is a lesion..lol

You ask for opinions and you get them lol !!!! But Im VERY VERY thankful to everyone on this board who replied to me. Heck if Neuros disagree with eachother why can't everyone else

I go Monday for my followup.....I'm sure he will tell me what he thinks. I've been dealing with this for 10yrs sooooo a few more days won't hurt.

Hope

Old 08-16-2007, 03:38 AM   #13
    cjn
    (female)

cjn HB User

Hi Hope, I was told the same thing about the white matter and the draft that my GP read stated that the lesions were within white matter and since my dr referred me to the MS Society what is one to think? However, the Neuro told me they are non specific and does not resemble MS at all..I was surprised as I know something is not right...she also mentioned it could be lupus or firbro so hello testing. Remember, the radiologisit reading it and preparing the report is not going to be a dx, it's the tool the Neuro needs to see if it's MS or not.
    I really was ready for the MS dx, not that I wanted anything but I sure had/have the symptoms, she says they are not classic (even though they match what most have here) and I did pass the MS physical which a couple months ago I know I would not have. Any case, good luck and I hope you don't have to wait much longer for a dx.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:24 AM   #14
    Hope4All
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I remember when the Neuro's office called me to tell me my results of my MRI, she said "NORMAL", when I asked if there were any lesions she said no.

There is someone I asked who was in the medical field ( DR ) who has MS but no longer practices.

She said the report was vague, but that the white matter is where MS is typically found. But said that IF it were MS the "white matter" would be older than 6 weeks.

Whatever "IT" is I know I have had for over 10yrs........I have my Fibro DX....I'll just have to wait and see.

Maybe the MRI of my spine will be more helpful. I've passed almost all their tests, but I'm sure I wasn't given all of them. Im happy that I have no nerve damage and my muscles are 100% healthy

Hope

Old 08-16-2007, 04:36 AM   #15
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HI hope. Just to give you alittle more info. The matter on the brain, in an MRI is ALL GREY. However, if there is WHITE MATTER- those are usually legions. The hard part is determining if the legions are from brain trauma, prior head injuries, migranes, a host of other things, or if the white matter is legions. LEGIONS, are scar tissue from where MS attacks the Myelin SHeath.

Also legions can form from more than just MS. THe shape, position and denseness of a legion, is what helps to determine MS.

I have over 50 legions on my brain, they are completely clustered into one small area, not unusual for MS. And, they have been there for as long as I have had MS. They arent growing in numbers. (thank you Rebif).

What I wanted you to know is that there really isnt any white matter, in respect to an area of a brain.....the white matter is there, only when it is SOMTHING appearing on the brain which can be caused by SO many things. NOt all of which are bad...previous head injuries, where you bumped your head, could be white matter, even though you are fine. REMEMBER, white matter is scar tissue, nothing more.

When you have an MRI with contrast, and something glows...it also glows white. WHat that usually means is an active legion is being formed.....something is going on in the brain at the time that the imaging is being done...its not old, scar tissue.

Hope this helps.
    N

Closed Thread