It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• wanting to know is if Spirulina is ok to take as a dietary supplement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
    makawa
    (female)

makawa HB User
    wanting to know is if Spirulina is ok to take as a dietary supplement

Hi there,
    I am fairly new here, just never posted before!
    I am 28yrs and have for the past year suffered some MS symptoms which have been gradually getting worse over the last 4 months.

What I was wanting to know is if Spirulina is ok to take as a dietary supplement, or if it is not recommended.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Last edited by moderator2; 09-14-2007 at 06:05 AM. Reason: please start new threads for your new questions instead of posting on someone else's topic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Re: wanting to know is if Spirulina is ok to take as a dietary supplement

Chlorella and Spirulina are both algae that have been promoted as being beneficial to patients with MS, BUT there is no FDA evidence to this fact. If you are taking any kind of medication, you should always let your doctor and pharmacist know what nutritional supplements you are taking because there is always a possibility for a drug interaction with a supplement. Some supplement reactions could cause your medication to increase potency or to lose potency- either of which could compromise your health.

If you take Sun Chlorella or similar supplement, you should also be getting Spirulina in the same tablet. My mother tried it for her Parkinson's, but decided after 3 months that it was not doing anything for her except empty her purse.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

MSjayhawk, I'm with you AND your mother! My acupuncturist recommends taking Blue Green Algae in support of the blood brain barrier. While I believe in the BB concept re: MS, I can't say that for whatever reason, BGA "resonates" with me. It's actually the only time my acupuncturist and I ever had an "argument", LOL -- he's not pushy when it comes to this stuff. I did succomb and get another bottle but I don't know that I'll continue.

makawa, whatever you decide to do, make sure that ANYTHING you get from the sea is PURE and attests to that on the label! Too much yucky stuff in the waters, especially these days!

Old 09-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
    makawa
    (female)

makawa HB User
    Smile Re: wanting to know is if Spirulina is ok to take as a dietary supplement

Thanks for your replies!
    I have taken spirulina in the past (before symptoms started) and felt wonderful!
    However, had been reading on another thread about it not being recommended to take anything that would boost the immune system (hence originally posting in the other thread)
    Is spirulina considered one of these?
    Sorry, if I have not made myself very clear in my question, and again thanks for any advice!

Old 09-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

As to boosting your immune system, anything you do that is good nutrition boosts your immune system. Eat healthy, avoid smoking, avoid alcohol, etc. These will all help your immune system stay strong. I think that is a mistake to not boost your immune system. Otherwise, we would all be eating twinkies, scones, meat pies, and other "non-healthy" foods. (I still love meat pies or a steak sandwich with a slice of beet root!)

I try to follow Dr. Swank's diet which is a low fat and low saturated oil diet. Chlorella, etc. can help with nutritional deficiencies, but it is in no way an end all cure all as some might preach. Living in New Zealand, you have an abundance of seafood which is an excellent start.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
    makawa
    (female)

makawa HB User

Thanks MS Jayhawk!
    Yum, I also love a steak sammy!
    I come across Dr Swanks diet online last night, and really looks to me like it's worth a go.
    I do like some seafoods and eat them occasionally, but not really totally fussed on it. I have recently started taking omega 3 fish oil, and also managed to get hubby onto it for his joints and cholesterol.
    Thanks for your help.

Closed Thread