It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• How long do "episodes" last....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
    katepincus
    (female)

katepincus HB User
    How long do "episodes" last....

I'm just wondering, how long episodes last? Do you completely recover? I seem to be over this episode with my arm with no lasting problems, it almost seems like it didn't happen (I know it did). Is this common?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
    murph154
    (female)

murph154 HB User
    Re: How long do "episodes" last....

Kate,
    I had an episode with my arm that lasted about a month. I still have a numb spot on my ear (same side of the arm that went numb) and my fingers tingle sometimes. i have the same feeling sometimes, though, wondering if it really was as bad as i thought it was.

My episode was about 7 months ago. I had an MRI at the time & it didn't show enough to get a dx. I just did a follow-up one a week ago & am waiting to go see my neuro in 2 weeks. I have seen the report, though, and know that i have more spots than i did in april. not a good sign!

Good luck!!!!

Erin

Old 10-17-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

Kate, unfortunately, there's not one universal answer! What you're describing definitely does happen -- people on this very board have gone for many years in-between episodes with nothing there to remind them. If my doctors are correct and I've had MS for as long as they think, I'm one of those people! This time, though, from the onset of my ON, I'd say it's took me 6 months to get back to almost normal but it's still just that, almost.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
    mitch512u
    (male)

mitch512u HB User

As far as recovery goes, if you have the Recurring & Remitting type, ( I do)the way that it was explained to me is that you will experience some level of recovery. One neuro said it could be ALMOST 100%. There is no hard and fast rule...unfortunately.

My original episode lasted several weeks, after which I was back to near normal. I still have foot drop, balance issues, hand numbness along with some bladder problems. These are all, except the foot drop, rather minor.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Mitch actuallly gave you some important info here...depending on what type of MS you have, relapses or episdoes last different amounts of times, and recovery is dependent on which type of MS you have as well.
    Remittant/Relapsing MS, the most common type, often is followed by a complete recovery, and the episode can last from a few days to a few months...more progressive MS never completely recovers, and there are some types of MS which there is never a break between relapses, and instead the disease constantly progresses and worsens. The national MS society has pamphlets on the different types of MS and what to expect.

I have r/r MS and had my onset of symtoms one year ago...some of them, have NEVER gone away, while others completely went away...Ive had different symtoms in the past year but the original reasons for seeing a Neuro, and my dx, which are mainly parastasia, tingling and numbness in my hand and fingers, has NEVER gotten better....yet, they still call this Relapsing/Remitting, and even though Ive been on Rebif for a year, nothing has really improved...
    Good luck..
    N

Old 10-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
    helricha
    (female)

helricha HB User

my relapses have usually gone away, especially when my eyes really start bothering me. It will only last for a short time and I'll recover. I had a relapse of numbness/tingling in my left foot which progressed up my leg all the way up my torso. It got better so that it doesn't bother me anymore. It could've recovered 100% or it could be that it recovered enough and I've gotten use to what it is now.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:32 PM   #7
    unclesam612
    (male)

unclesam612 HB User

I was dxed in 2002 jan. will be 6 years I had vertigo for 3 months double vision was a part of that I couldn't watch TV the blinking of the light was really bad. It made me sick. My nero said it could last a year so when it only lasted for 3 months I was thankful very thankful. Since then I have not had that symptom that bad. Light battles with it they come and go never lasting that long thank God. MS is different for everyone of us no two people are the same so how long it lasts is depending on many things and no one can tell you when it will go away. I have herd that major flair ups will happen every 3 years it has been almost 6 for me and I haven't had a major one that lasted more than a couple of days since then. Little things happen to me all the time but I just know it is life with MS. I've gotten used to strange things happening to me. It is amazing the things the human body can do from the inside. Best of luck to you

Closed Thread