It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

anybody out there trying acupuncture?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
exfn HB User
anybody out there trying acupuncture?

I saw an acupuncturist today for an injury from falling (yes, it was related to my ms), and he felt he could help me with the spasticy, fatigue and lack of appetite. has anybody out there tried it? did it help?
dx three months ago (got the dx in three months), on copaxone, provigil, and clonipin for muscle spasms. main problem is fatigue, parasthesias and balance problems.
\ comments? stories? experiences?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 11-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: anybody out there trying acupuncture?

Hi Janice. If you search healthboards for this topic, youll see that there are really mixed reviews on accupuncture and MS. Ive had it, with absolutely no success- however i know someone else who thought that they recived great benefit from accupuncture. I think its all in your mindset, the accupuncturist and how well they know their practice; along with just how bad your body is feeling..
Ive tried two different accupuncturists for pain in my hand and nerve related pain, no results at all..but recently was told of another guy who is supposed to be really good and am willing to try again. My main problem is the cash. I have found that good accupuncturists want you to go 2-3 times a week and my insurance doesnt cover a cent of it. Until the holidays are over, Im working with a Physical Therapists trying to find relief!
good luck to you
RRMS- dx 05

Old 11-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

Hi, Janice. Yes, I have had success with acupuncture in the past and am absolutely a believer. I do agree that not all acupuncturists are created equal though but since yours seems confident that he can help you, I'd certainly encourage you to try. In fact, fatigue, paresthesia and balance problems are things that I think you could find relief from with a good doctor of acupuncture. Specifically in consideration of my MS I have commenced acupuncture again but I am not able to go as much as I'd like to. However, when I started going again I was experiencing a lot of tingling and my doctor worked on neurotransmission -- I have to tell you that I noticed a difference even after that one visit!

Good luck to you and please keep us posted. I honestly think you should give it a shot but stay with for a while -- you won't necessarily see results right away but you never know, you might!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
moore170 HB User

I have had great success with acupunture for my fatigue, bladder, aches and pains from falling and my tight sore neck/shoulders. The only thing I didn't get relief for was the neuropathy in my feet. I has not found anything to help with that.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
sunshine149 HB User

I too have had great success with acupunture. the key is to look for one with experience treating auto-immune disorders. a less "direct" approach is required. i've had good luck treating ON, nystagmus, fatigue.

Closed Thread