It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

nerve pain

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
sallie61
(female)

sallie61 HB User
nerve pain

Hi, I was just wondering what nerve pain is, sorry I know it sounds pretty dumb.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
MSJayhawk
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: nerve pain

Nerve pain is, for me, sharp pain that does not cease with pain killers. My worst nerve pain occurred in my femoral nerve. I had to treat it with heat/cold. The nerve damage sends electrical signals to the surrounding tissue causing the pain. The pain subsides when the nerve sheath is healed.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Jayhawk described exactly what I feel in my left hand and fingers. Its a constant burning, tingling pain which has never gotten better and it is not affected or helped by any drugs to date. Ive tried them all, and nothing works..
Taking supplements like Tumeric and lots of Omegas seems to take the edge off, running cold water, or holding an ice pack helps slightly but only for a few minutes...heat, makes it worse.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
orchidflower24
(female)

orchidflower24 HB User

Hi...I have nerve pain all over...mostly in my legs, lower and upper back.
I was diagnosed with MS 20 years ago, and the way it has affected me is to
cause pain. But, I still don't understand what is causing the pain. It is becoming debilitating, now. I have tried neurontin and lyrica, with no help.

Can anyone help me and describe how the MS is causing nerve pain, please?

Old 11-14-2007, 04:27 AM   #5
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi there. MS is a disease where the body is attacking the Myelin Sheaths of the nerves. These are the protective nerve converings, which help the signal from the nerve to the brain.
When the disease attacks the Myelin, either permenent or temporary damage is caused. When it is permenent, what we are all describing is the pain which results. I have it, it appears you might, too.
By taking steroids in the early stages of a relapse, it shrinks the swelling of the nerves, sometimes allowing the Myelin to stop being attacked completely, thus reversing damage....when we ignore the relapse, or if we were having this problem before we were dx with MS, and werent doing anything to prevent relapses or treat relapses, many of the times, the nerve damage is permenent. This usually does result in nerve pain.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:31 AM   #6
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Nerve pain and/or your neuropathic pain shows up in different ways for different people and at different times, with or without a exacerbation.

Pain for me can be......legs that ache, skin that feel like I have exposed nerves (I can be in extreme pain from just a light touch, hug, or clothes). Currently I am dealing with pelvic pain.....yep, you read that correctly.....MS can cause pelvic pain....gotta love that one (not)

There are meds that can help.....please speak with your neuro.

Also, heat can help relieve some types of pain however if your heat sensitive use caution if trying it.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
dippydora
(female)

dippydora HB User

hi i to suffer from nerve pain in my legs have had it for a few years now.And now the pain has moved further up and my legs into my hips and the small of my back.I find it really hard to explain to people how bad the pain is but sometimes i could quite easily cut them off as the pain can be so all consuming ur life really revolves around the pain. DIPPYDORA

Old 11-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #8
agravy
(female)

agravy HB User

Man do i know what you are all describing. sometimes i have to use my walker not because it's a bad balance or jumppy leg day, but because my leg hurts so bad that i can hardly put pressure on it. i was so hesitant on getting that darn thing, but it has really become a life savor!!! what is so wierd is that the pain can occur at any time or place on your body & stay there as long as it darn well pleases. my leg pain has yet to go away, some days better than others ,but always there. it's strange though how you can talk to some with ms or those in limbo land that experience no pain. praise God for them!!!!!! However, for those of us in pain, maybe they will find that WONDER drug for us. let's keep our finger crossed.

all in my prayers!!!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
janajb2
(female)

janajb2 HB User
Unhappy Re: nerve pain

I too am suffering from what feels like nerve pain. It started about 2 months ago in my lower right abdomen..just to the right of my navel and has since moved in to my lower right ribs and lower right back. I've seen my GP, who put me on 75 mgs. of Lyrica. and although it takes the edge off, it does not take away the pain or sensitivity. It seriously hurts when clothing touches this part of my body. I have asked my doctor to refer me to a neurologist for further testing. Although I am happy with my doctor, he looks at me as if I have two heads when I tell him my skin hurts. I'll post again once I see a neurologist.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
Nenu
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Jana, you've responded to an old thread, but I'd suggest making a new one with your concerns.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
janajb2
(female)

janajb2 HB User

Thank you very much for your input. I'll do what you suggested. Being a newbie, I need to pay more attention to the dates of postings. lol

Closed Thread