It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

Copaxone : Ice or heat ?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
twink65
(female)

twink65 HB User
Question Copaxone : Ice or heat ?

Ok I'm starting shot's tomorrow. I am so scared out of my mind. A lot have told me once you get past the shots ( mentally ) its not a big deal I am hoping that will happen for me right now I'm in a state of extreme fear and anger.

My question is I have heard both heat and Ice stories. Which is best for taking copaxone? which makes it sting less? any help would be much appreciated.

thanks Twink.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Copaxone : Ice or heat ?

HI Twink. First of all, congrats on taking the big step. And yes, once you get past the initial shock of having to do this, it will become easy as brushing your teeth, promise! Its a mental thing, but a good way to think of it is that you are taking control of your MS, and not allowing your MS to take control of you...with that in mind, whats alittle stick? Im kidding, but I can honestly remember chanting those words to myself when I first started doing shots. You have to make yourself do it in the beginning, but it WILL get easier!

Now, onto your question. I have been on Rebif, not Copaxone, but I called my good friend who takes Copaxone shots daily for you. She said that the nurses will probably tell you to use ICE at first. I use ice with Rebif too. Rule of thumb is use an ice pack for exactly 2 minutes....then, cleanse the area with the alcohol wipe, allow it to dry for another full minute (it will sting if there is wet alcohol on your skin when you inject) and then do the injection. Have you had the nurse come to you to walk you thru all this yet?

Many people feel that heat is actually more comfortable. For instance, I use Heat on my stomache area- but ICE everywhere else I inject...dont ask me why, but for some reason heat on my belly makes it easier and less painful....also, keeping in mind that Rebif stings, where Copaxone supposedly doesnt. Theres no real reason why you cant try Ice one time, and Heat the next just to see which works for you....neither of them will hurt you, and whatever is more comfortable is what is really best. If you are very thin, you might find that ice is better....it literally numbs the area. Do not leave the ice on for more than 2 minutes, or you wont be able to inject as easily...you want to numb the skin, not FREEZE it!

Good luck with this! Let us know how you do!
Nikki

Old 11-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
kimpossible67
Veteran
(female)

kimpossible67 HB User
Re: Copaxone : Ice or heat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twink65 View Post
Ok I'm starting shot's tomorrow. I am so scared out of my mind. A lot have told me once you get past the shots ( mentally ) its not a big deal I am hoping that will happen for me right now I'm in a state of extreme fear and anger.

My question is I have heard both heat and Ice stories. Which is best for taking copaxone? which makes it sting less? any help would be much appreciated.

thanks Twink.
My ss nurse said heat first then followed by ice. I found that if I iced both times, it cut down on the stinging. Good luck, it's a piece of cake!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
Purpleball
(male)

Purpleball HB User
Smile Re: Copaxone : Ice or heat ?

I found taking copaxone a few minutes after getting out the shower works for me. Body temperature is warm, and the needle seems to gently penetrate the skin without any such sting. the site reaction (reddness & itching) will always be there, but i find it is restricted when the body is warm.

i suggest trying it a few moments after the shower/bath.

Closed Thread