It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Wobbly Wierd Legs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2008, 12:58 AM   #1
    topsy123
    (female)

topsy123 HB User
    Question Wobbly Wierd Legs

Hi:...Just wondering here. I got up this morning, back pain, stiffness, usual routine, but my leg is just wierd. I will try to expalin the best I can. My left leg feels really odd. I can't touch the back of it, if I run my hand or finger across it, it feels like (here come the descriptive words), tingling, friction burn, cold water trickling down like small electric shocks. I am able to touch it, but I would rather not. My leg is throbbing from my thigh down to my toes and Im not complaining of that, but this odd feeling that goes with it when I touch it or even sit down isnt something I have not experianced before. I am walking slighlty lopsided and I think that may be due to the pain in my back. Is this a symptom people get with MS?...Probably sounds daft but it is rather uncomfortable and definatley there. Also I have noticed lately my knee joints are starting to give me trouble. I find If I sit for too long again my right knee becomes extremely painfull. If I stand up and move around for a while it eases, but now its in my left leg to. I came downstairs this morning and both my legs felt so weak, It was like they couldnt take the weight. When I got to the bottom I stood still but my legs had these sort of tremors going through them. My dog funny enough came up to me and pressed himself against me, I ended up pressed against the wall, he ended up pressed against me and together we went knowhere...lol...Anyway just thought if anyone else has these leg problems it would reassuring to know...Thanks again...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2008, 04:10 AM   #2
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
    Re: Wobbly Wierd Legs

Hi Topsy

If you have MS then what your experiencing is normal.

Your legs shaking after walking down the stairs is because of the weakness. Once you sit down briefly your legs shouldn't feel shakey.

My legs have always been my problem. If it wasn't for the stiffness I don't believe I would be walking. The stiffness you have and the back pain can be attributed to spasticity. Spasticity also causes pain.

Your gait (walking) can cause your back to hurt or to favor one leg over the other. The pain in your joints could also be caused by spasticity however, it could also be arthritis.

The sensations your getting - that's just the way MS works for some of us - weird, isn't it.

There are meds that can help with the spasticity but you and your doctor will need to be careful. You might find you need to keep some of the stiffness to help you walk. It can be a balancing act to find the right med at the right dosage without causing you to feel like you can't stay on your feet.

Exercise, Physical Therapy(PT) or just taking walks is beneficial for spasticity and weakness. Using a mobility aid can also be helpful.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
    tuckersmom
    Inactive
    (female)

tuckersmom HB User

Topsy, what you describe sounds very familiar. That is how my MS presents itself to me most days. The biggest majority of my issues are in my legs. I have learned to come down the stairs on my bottom or else they give out and it's the "express" route down and that is no fun!

I, like Snoopy, think the spasticity is actually a big help to keep me mobile. The pain from it can feel awful and for me gets very, very achy almost like arthritis at times. Keep moving...it does help. There are meds for it. Like most meds it's trial and error to find what works for you.

Lisa

Old 01-09-2008, 06:16 AM   #4
    mitch512u
    (male)

mitch512u HB User

There are times when my legs are hyper-sensitive. If I lightly run my finger across them my leg will jerk away from the touch. It reacts much the same way as reacting to a painful stimulus. Weird. I also get leg tremors/pulsations, which are annoying but, fortunately, not painful.

Mitch

Closed Thread