It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Question about falling?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
    tracijo
    Inactive
    (female)

tracijo HB User
    Question Question about falling?

Luckily I have only fallen a few times since I started dealing with these symptoms but I am surprised by how it feels. I seem fine one minute and then I am headed toward the floor. The times I have fallen it has been within a few steps of getting up from a chair etc. but there is now warning. When I drop things I have the same experience. One second the item is in my hand and the next it is on its way to the floor. No sensation of slipping or losing my grip. How are your experiences? I am I missing a sign that I a fall is coming? MY husband and I are going to see the Lakers tonight and I am worried falling and having it show up on the Jumbotron.
    Traci

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
    taosdaphne
    (female)

taosdaphne HB User
    Re: Question about falling?

Hi. I am the expert on falling and getting up properly, since I was fallin 2-3x/day and doing damage to myself. And I know what you mean about no warning. Sometimes I get a second or so of warning, but mostly my leg gives out at the hip and I'm down.

So here's my hard-earned advice.

1. Never carry ANYTHING, esp, liquid, across a room. Messes with balance. If you have a walker with a seat it makes a dandy way to transport things.

2. When picking up a can of soda or a glass of water, use BOTH hands, and use them both when you are actually drinking. Put liquids far away from the edge, and don't reach in such a way that your sleeve or arm may knock down the glass.

3. To avoid Jumbotron trauma, hang onto to someone's arm and/or handrail for balance. Or tell the nice security people that you are handicpped and can't possibly manage all those stairs without falling. They'll get you to the elevator and maybe even provide a wheelchair. The trick is to mention FALLING--they don't want a lawsuit, and idf you ask and are denied you prob. have grounds for one.

4. Sitting down and getting up w.o. falling. L learned this trick at Mayo, and it was a godsend.
    a. Sitting down. Back up until you can feel the chair against your legs. Look over your shoulder to make sure you have a good position. If there are armrests, great--use both of them. If not, get your hands on the seat of the chair. Now, this sounds totally counterintuitive, But bend at the waist, dropping your head a bit, and ease your rear down on the seat and BACK towards the back. Then you are all nicely settled in.
    b. Getting up. I call this Being an Orangutan. Slide your rear close to the edge of the seat. Use those armrests again for balance. Drop your head between your knees as if you feel like fainting, but keep looking straight ahead. Raise yourself up REAR END First, letting the head follow. It looks a little weird, but it works.

I would also suggest buying an d carrying with you a gait belt. My experience in hundreds of falls is that people want to help, but they panic. move too fast, a nd don't know what they are doing. YOU stay totally calm, reassure people you are OK (unless of course you aren't) and bring out the gait belt, Snug it pretty tightly around your waist, have some strong hunk who wants to be a hero stand behind you, ggrasp the belt and haul you to your feet. Works best if you can get to your knees first, but if you are flat on your face, use the belt to get you to your knees, and Prt 2 is as above.

I envy you the basketball. It's conference play time in the NCAA, yay!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:54 AM   #3
    tracijo
    Inactive
    (female)

tracijo HB User
    Re: Question about falling?

Thanks for the tips. We had a great time at the game but it was unnerving feeling so vulnerable. My husband, who always wants to be my hunky hero held on to me the whole time we were exiting the building and that helped tons.
    Traci

Closed Thread