It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Disability anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
    jk48
    (female)

jk48 HB User
    Disability anyone?

Hello everyone
    Is anyone out there currently on disability for their MS?
    I have a full time career that requires a lot of driving. Lately I have been a little off kilter. A little dizziness, confusion and a feeling of anxiety while driving especially while going through corners. I wonder if this is common for people who are still driving. I had an MRI last year that showed some plaque on my brain and spine in the area that causes this.
    I am very scared that I might have to stop driving, which would mean the end of my much loved career. which brings me to disability, is MS reason enough to get disability? If so is it about 1/2 of your salary. I am a very independent person and disability is the last thing I want, but with coaxing from my husband I guess I better look into it. I thought this would be a great place to start. Thank you all for your advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Disability anyone?

HI. I feel for you. Im not sure what you do, but Im a sales rep for a company which has me driving anywhere from 25-450 miles a day. I LOVE MY JOB. I was dx with MS almost 1.5 years ago and until recently was positive that it wasnt going to change me...now, im having second thoughts. I too, depend on my ability to drive in order to work and I am also having some of the cognitive issues which you mentioned. I had to get a GPS for my car- I kept getting lost in familiar territory- I also started having issues with movement and especially taking curves...all very scary. It did pass for the most part, howver it didnt go away completely. I spend alot of time worrying about this.

Disability. It might be an answer for you, but for me, an impossiblity. Because of my work history and the amount of money Ive made over the past 3 years, my disability would be less than 1/4 of my salary. Believe me, I wouldnt be working at all, if we didnt need my income to make it thru each week. There is absoultey NO way I could afford to go on dissability and much as I hate it, Id be better off working at a desk job a few hours a day then going that route.

Disability in my state is very hard to get....even with filling out all the paperwork which is readily available- the forms and mountains of paperwork which one has to go thru...in this state, it is highly recommended that you get an attorney to help you, or else you can wait up to 6 years. Thats NJ for you...nothing moves very quickly exept the cars on the road! I wish I had better news for you,and possibly your state is easier...but one of the things which you do have to prove isnt that you cant do the job you are doing- but that you cant find another job (even with an enormous paycut) which you COULD still perform.....then, and only then, will they consider you.

Wish you luck....and hang in there, sometimes these things do pass...dont make any rash decisions until you have spoken to your Neuro about your exact predicament.
    Nikki

Old 02-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I took disability in 2002 when my MS became PPMS. The maximum amount of SSDI (Social Security Disability Income) is less than $2000 per month plus benefits for dependents. It does not matter how much you paid into the system, the maximum is capped. The income is not taxable. I made the decision to move from California to Kansas to allow for easier living. SSDI allows you to earn $800 per month without losing/penalized for work.

I am still independent, but I have given up doing some things. Disability does not mean ending your life. There are many opportunities. I home school my two sons, volunteer working online, translate MS info into Japanese for an MS patient in Japan...... You, too, can remain busy!

Last edited by Administrator; 03-25-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:43 AM   #4
    irishsue
    (female)

irishsue HB User

I am on ssdi now I receive $1504 per month plus I had purchased a long term disability package from my employer 30 years ago. Who would have know I would need that. That is an additional $800 per month. It took me to tries to get approved but not only do I have MS but I also have fibromyalgia. I hope to go back to work part time but know I can only make about $800 per month.

Good luck with it all

Sue

Old 02-22-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
    kimpossible67
    Veteran
    (female)

kimpossible67 HB User

Hi. I drove for a living, as well. My main problems that took me away from the job were dizziness, confusion, off balance. I was taken off of my bus route like NOW. I have been on long term disability for just over a year. I'm still arguing with myself on rather I'm ready to go back or not. I have been having hand and arm issues, cramping feet, things that prevent me from feeling confident enough to SAFELY do my job. I think I get 2/3 of my pay for three years. It is so hard to let it go but safety should be first and foremost. Any job that requires driving, is a such a huge responsibility not to mention the liability aspect. I wish you well in making such a difficult decision.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
    Lisa_P
    (female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

I started receiving SSDI in August (after 2 1/2 years of fighting for it). I was totally financially dependent on others during that time because SSA won't even LISTEN to you unless you're not working. AND the benefits I receive are rather piddling compared to what I used to make (about 1/3), but getting Social Security to SAY I'm "disabled" has helped me find other assistance I really needed, so it's give and take... Of course, now that I HAVE the SSDI, I am allowed to work. Not only that, but there are all kinds of programs to help you get back to work!

deleted

My only advice about considering SSDI is to make sure you're able to live during the time it takes to get approved. Very few are approved immediately.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-28-2008 at 11:35 PM. Reason: watch what you post!

Old 02-23-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
    Wsavva
    (female)

Wsavva HB User

I'm in Utah and am on Medicare Disability, Medicaid and Social Security Disability. I don't understand the system...but I can't afford to live now.

I have Progressive-Relapsing MS. I was in my 20's and in college with no health insurance when I was diagnosed. I have no siblings, no nearby family and feel so alone in all this. I recieve $650/mo for rent, electric, gas, sewer, water, food. My student loans are coming due, ($300/mo). So I will soon be down to $300/mo.

I "make too much money" for SSI or Food Stamps. I fall down all the time and am finally starting to use a cane (it's harder than it looks.) I'm exhausted, hve visual disturbances, have no depth perception, I can't even balance on a chair to change my lightbulbs. So half of my house is dark, I'm too embarrassed to have anyone come help because I've been going downhill for years, and often can't take out my trash...my place is so disgusting with bugs and trash everywhere.

I don't know what to do....there is something wrong besides the MS. My joints keep disconnecting and I pass out from the pain. My blood sugar and blood pressure drop so low from not eating that I pass out with no pain too. I'm scared, alone, broke, depressed....I'm not suicidal, but I'm not treating my skin cancer or ovarian cancer because I can't wait to die.

They are so horrible to me in the ER because " I look fine" and shouldn't be "wasting their tax money"...they make fun of my medical chart where I can hear them. I don't know...SSD was easy to get, as was Medicare and Medicaid.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-25-2014 at 09:09 AM.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

You sound really depressed and there is help out there. Being familiar with the countries' nursing home system, there are state facilities which you can enter into and get the healthcare as well as daily assistance you need (and deserve). No one deserves to live the way you describe.
    There are also medical professionals out there who can help you with depression and pain symtoms...
    I understand that you choose not to live like this....why not look into help? Have you a social worker or someone within the system whom you can talk to? THere are options....

Last edited by Administrator; 03-25-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wsavva View Post
    I'm in Utah and am on Medicare Disability, Medicaid and Social Security Disability. I don't understand the system...but I can't afford to live now.

I have Progressive-Relapsing MS. I was in my 20's and in college with no health insurance when I was diagnosed. I have no siblings, no nearby family and feel so alone in all this. I recieve $650/mo for rent, electric, gas, sewer, water, food. My student loans are coming due, ($300/mo). So I will soon be down to $300/mo.

I "make too much money" for SSI or Food Stamps. I fall down all the time and am finally starting to use a cane (it's harder than it looks.) I'm exhausted, hve visual disturbances, have no depth perception, I can't even balance on a chair to change my lightbulbs. So half of my house is dark, I'm too embarrassed to have anyone come help because I've been going downhill for years, and often can't take out my trash...my place is so disgusting with bugs and trash everywhere.

I don't know what to do....there is something wrong besides the MS. My joints keep disconnecting and I pass out from the pain. My blood sugar and blood pressure drop so low from not eating that I pass out with no pain too. I'm scared, alone, broke, depressed....I'm not suicidal, but I'm not treating my skin cancer or ovarian cancer because I can't wait to die.

They are so horrible to me in the ER because " I look fine" and shouldn't be "wasting their tax money"...they make fun of my medical chart where I can hear them. I don't know...SSD was easy to get, as was Medicare and Medicaid. The rest of life...I just want it over.
    Most student loans have waivers for a person in your circumstance. As you are hurting, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. The care at your ER should be reported and exposed to the public. No person need be treated poorly, no matter their circumstance.

There are rentals available to allow you an easier living arrangement while maintaining independence.

Speak to your bank/student loan company. At the very least, you will have one less stress point. As to cancer treatment, many forms are curable. If your condition has spread beyond treatment, make sure that you can enjoy a quality of life due you.

I am slow to forfeit any independence, but quality of life, to me, means that if I need to give up somethings, I will.

Should your case warrant, you might get home health care.

I, too, fall into the make-too-much/make-too-little category. If you want help food wise, there are many churches that sell food packages at a wholesale price. We have used this and it helped lower our food costs.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #10
    april1848
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

april1848 HB User

Wsavva, you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I know when I'm very depressed, my motivation level is nonexistent, but please make some phone calls. I'm sure there are social services that can help you out with what they call ADLs--activities of daily living, such as cooking, cleaning, and minor home repairs. You will probably be able to get these services for free. You'll also be able to get counseling for free.

You don't deserve to live like you are! And maybe once you get the help you need, you'll be more motivated to treat your cancer. Please, please try to get the life that you deserve.

As far as your treatment at the ER goes, that is unacceptable. Make some complaints and stand up for your right to be treated like a human being. Unfortunately there are some horrible things that go on within the medical system and we all need people like you to speak up when these things happen so it will change. Being your own advocate won't just help you, it will help everybody in similar situations.

You can call local churches to get food baskets. Some counties have a phone number (in Ohio it's 211) that you can call to get access to all kinds of great services--counseling, food, transportation, cheap or free furniture, etc. Please take advantage of any services your county offers.

In the meantime I will be sending hugs and prayers your way. I understand your depression, because I've been there many times, and I probably will be there many times more. But you shouldn't have to be depressed about your living situation, and you shouldn't be hungry. Bless you!
    Stopped 4/10 due to no insurance.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
    limpster
    (female)

limpster HB User

I've been on ssdi for over a year now. I was one of the lucky ones. I was approved within about 6 weeks.

I was a medical assistant and I loved my job. I started falling, having cog fog and shaking. I could no longer do my job 100%.

SSDI doesn't come close to what I was being paid. If it wasn't for my husband I would probably be on the streets

Just make sure before you decide to apply that you have All Your Ducks in a Row.

What I mean by that is make sure all your doctors are on board with you and that they keep really good notes.

You can also go to SSDI site and it gives you tools to see approximately how much you would get each month.

Good luck with whatever you decide. You will be in my thoughts

Closed Thread