It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Being told "That's your MS"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
    Nenu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nenu HB User
    Being told "That's your MS"

While it's great to now have a diagnosis, I fear that if I get an unrelated illness/health issue, because it is recognized that I have MS, the doctor's initial reaction may be simply "That's MS causing it".

Right now, I have a pain in my right side top gums, all across my teeth. The pain radiates into my cheek on that side. I have a suspicion that it's actually tooth or gum related, but when I asked the doctor about it, their reaction was "MS".

I also have an ear pain on that side. Same reaction "MS".

How can I truly know if this is MS? I don't have a fever/chills, just this pain that intensifies over the day from the time I wake up. Certain foods (strawberries I noted) make the gums almost sting, which leads me to believe it's not MS. How can I be sure to trust the doctor's opinion with something like this, versus pursing it further?

I guess the big question is, how can I now ever know what is MS and what is not MS? Anyone else been here before?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
    zadie
    (female)

zadie HB User
    Re: Being told "That's your MS"

I would go to a dentist with that kind of gum pain and take it from there in my intial attack I had pain around the ear under the chin and down my throat and a tingleing tongue I also had strange sensations up the top all on one side the pain on the top turned out to be a cracked tooth next to a root cannal that had to be extracted so it was a bit of everything. I have often wondered what I would do now with doctors as it is new for me also I was thinking of going to another doctor and not telling about the ms if I am not happy with my primary care doctor.

Michele

Old 04-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
    Nenu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nenu HB User

Really? That's interesting... my tongue does feel sore or 'tingly' on the right side. My cheek on the inside (same level as the gums) feels sore. All this progressively gets worse as the day goes on (waking it hurts a bit, but not the same as at night).

Old 04-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
    zadie
    (female)

zadie HB User

I also found the inside of my cheeks and side of my tongue were sore form bitting them in my sleep because they were slightly numb and I did not know it . Sometimes I would end up with blood blisters on the inside of my cheeks.

Michele

Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
    Nenu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nenu HB User

This is more like a burning feeling.. I had my whole mouth engulfed before in a feeling that was burning though and figured out through a friend's suggestion that it was possibly Candida, and did the diet etc. The burning that had been there for months (all over) went away. This right side never did, and it's driving me nuts honestly

Old 04-11-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Nenu,

How can you truly know it's MS - process of elimination.

If your having ear problems and your PCP doesn't see anything wrong but refers you to an ENT and that doctor cannot find anything wrong then it's more likely than not the MS.

If you go to the dentist and everything checks out fine. Then it's more likely than not the MS.

If you then go to your neuro and explain what your experiencing he will more than likely tell you it's the MS.

Not everything is MS but if your PCP is refering you to other doctors and those doctor, through testing, can't find anything wrong then more than likely it will be the MS.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
    Nenu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nenu HB User

Snoopy, when you refer to PCP, what do you mean? Sorry for sounding like the newbie

I think I'm going to check with the dentist first. Seems this got worse after the steroids, which are reported to sometimes cause dental or gum problems. I don't see my GP until May 5th (more waiting games huh?)

Old 04-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Nenu, (and snoopy) Im going to jump in here since Im online and see that you are, too, Nenu...your question is so simple that I dont think Snoopy will mind me answering this one for her.
    PCP is primary care physician...its the same thing as a GP, which is general physician. In most cases, the person who coordinates your needs is your PCP.

Hope this helps and that I didnt jump where I wasnt supposed to..
    Nikki

Old 04-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nenu View Post
    Snoopy, when you refer to PCP, what do you mean? Sorry for sounding like the newbie
    Sorry.

PCP = Primary Care Physician or your term which is GP

Last edited by Snoopy61; 04-11-2008 at 11:54 AM.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Dang, Nikki your quick

Old 04-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
    Nenu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nenu HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snoopy61 View Post
    Dang, Nikki your quick
    That's why we loves her!

Thanks for the explanation. I was sure you meant 'family doctor', or GP or as you say PCP . I just could not for the life of me figure out the words of the acronym!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #12
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Sorry guys...didnt mean to jump in..but I DID check Snoopy, you werent online, I was...and figured this wasnt a technical question that you would mind if I answered! I try to Never jump in to a question which is specifically asked of someone else especially when that someone is more knowledgable...but this one, for me, was an easy one! (I work with PCPs and every specialty on a daily basis, terminology like this is second nature).

nikki

Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #13
    Nenu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nenu HB User

Nikki, don't be concerned. Everyone loves you lots around here and doesn't see it as 'jumping in'. It's being helpful!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #14
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

thanks buddy!!
    N

Old 04-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #15
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Sorry guys...didnt mean to jump in..but I DID check Snoopy, you werent online, I was...and figured this wasnt a technical question that you would mind if I answered! I try to Never jump in to a question which is specifically asked of someone else especially when that someone is more knowledgable...but this one, for me, was an easy one! (I work with PCPs and every specialty on a daily basis, terminology like this is second nature).
    nikki
    Nikki honey don't worry about it. Really, it's not a big deal.

BTW - you wouldn't know if I was online. I prefer to use the "invisible feature" - just a personal preference when a message board offers it.

Last edited by Snoopy61; 04-11-2008 at 04:47 PM.

Closed Thread