It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Optic Neuritis Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
    lianta99
    (female)

lianta99 HB User
    Optic Neuritis Question

Hi all hope all is well with u
    i went for my Optic Neuritis yesterday im sorry i just dont understand it
    a bit of help please i sat down they put sticky things on my head there was a screen in front of me covered in small black and white squares with a red spot in the middle they made me cover one eye and stare at the red spot with the other eye for about five mins then do the same with the other eye that was it can someone please explainwhat happened ??????
    love to you all lianta

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
    Re: Optic Neuritis Question

Hi lianta.

What you had was a Visual Evoked Potential (VEP).

Here is some information about a VEP:

[url]http://www.emedicine.com/NEURO/topic69.htm[/url]

I'm sure someone else could actually explain a VEP better than I could

Old 06-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
    LC33
    (female)

LC33 HB User

From what I understand the Visual Evoke Potential test is used to see how your brain sends impluses when it encounters a stimulus. With this test, I think the optic nerves are observed to see if there is demyelination. I think, but I am not sure, that people with MS will most likely have an abnormal result in one eye or both depending on where the active or once active lesions are or have been. I am a little unclear on this myself, but this is what I undertand about it. I hope this helps.

Last edited by LC33; 06-18-2008 at 08:11 AM.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

HI Lianta...LC33 is right about why they gave you the test, but not necessarily right about the results...what you had, measures how quickly the optic nerve recieves signals from the eye to the brain...in other words, does one eye recieve a signal that the other one doesnt?? IF you have had optic neruitis in either eye, if at any time, the optic nerve was swollen or not normal, this is a test they will do to see what kind of damage has been done.

The good news? Ive had optical Neuritis three times- Ive had the VEP test you had twice, and both times, my reaction times are perfectly normal. There has been no permenant damage to my optic nerve. Even so- I still where glasses and still have intermittent eye pain...so theres no guarantee that evrything is perfect in my world- but at least they arent seeing permanent damage...Im sure that things will be fine for you, too.

The other test that they sometimes do is a field test- which is where you look into a box, and hold a clicker in your hand...everytime the light flashes, you are supposed to click the clicker...this measures the periferal vision- being able to stare straight ahead and see out the corners of your eyes..this test is completely painless and they usually do one eye at a time- it only takes a few minutes to do...you might inquire if this is something that should be done if you are having any problems seeing out the sides of your eyes, or if you feel like you have to turn your head to see to either side...

Hope this helps.
    Nikki

Old 06-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
    lianta99
    (female)

lianta99 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    HI Lianta...LC33 is right about why they gave you the test, but not necessarily right about the results...what you had, measures how quickly the optic nerve recieves signals from the eye to the brain...in other words, does one eye recieve a signal that the other one doesnt?? IF you have had optic neruitis in either eye, if at any time, the optic nerve was swollen or not normal, this is a test they will do to see what kind of damage has been done.

The good news? Ive had optical Neuritis three times- Ive had the VEP test you had twice, and both times, my reaction times are perfectly normal. There has been no permenant damage to my optic nerve. Even so- I still where glasses and still have intermittent eye pain...so theres no guarantee that evrything is perfect in my world- but at least they arent seeing permanent damage...Im sure that things will be fine for you, too.

The other test that they sometimes do is a field test- which is where you look into a box, and hold a clicker in your hand...everytime the light flashes, you are supposed to click the clicker...this measures the periferal vision- being able to stare straight ahead and see out the corners of your eyes..this test is completely painless and they usually do one eye at a time- it only takes a few minutes to do...you might inquire if this is something that should be done if you are having any problems seeing out the sides of your eyes, or if you feel like you have to turn your head to see to either side...

Hope this helps.
    Nikki
    nikki if this comes back normal does the mean i have not got ms even with the lesions ????

Old 06-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Sorry sweetie- wish I could say yes to that..but it doesnt guarantee anything. Many people with MS never get optical neuritis; and some people get optical neuritis, but do not have MS !! I think its more important to rule out optical neuritis, so that you could be treated if you had it, then it is to use it as a diagnostic tool ..does that make sense?

Optical Neuritis, is inflamation of the optic nerve...since MS can affect the brain, spine and eyes- many people do not know they have MS until they find out they have optical neuritis and more testing is done...but one DOES NOT guarantee that the other is there..or even going to be there...they dont HAVE to be connected..

Testing for MS is the only way to really get a definate diagnosis...and of course, testing for MS can take years. The lucky few (like me) have very serious symtoms which lead to a quick diagnosis- but of course having those definate symtoms (like me) is not picnic either! The MRIs, the spinal tap- the evoked potentials and of course the overall symtoms are key to diagnosing this disease. Ruling out everything else is just as important!!..optical neuritis is simply another symtom which MIGHT or MIGHT not point doctors toward further testing...but the most important thing in the world is probably your eyes- so having gotten the tests you had done, is really important..make sure your eyes are healthy and try not to focus on anything else! I have an opthamologist appt tomorrow at 8 am..been having my own issues with pain and blurriness- time to get it checked out, yet again. im praying my own ON isnt back!

Hope that helps...
    nikki

Last edited by MSNik; 06-18-2008 at 05:43 PM.

Closed Thread