It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• shocks, itches, cold feelings.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
    hischik
    (female)

hischik HB User
    shocks, itches, cold feelings.

Hello all.
    Hope you all are having a good day.
    How's that new job, Nik?

I have a few questions/or Just wondering if anyone else experiences this also. I have had some episodes of intense itching in my lower legs that can last for an hour or more before it lets up and the calamine (sp?) lotions don't work! I also get these other feelings and I am not sure how to describe them....sometimes it's a quick feeling of maybe someone sticking me with a sharp pin or possibly that "shocking" sensation, although I'm not jumping out of my chair or anything! It does make me want to immediately scratch it or rub it or shake my leg. (gee, I sound a little like a dog, don't I?) I've also felt like maybe something is on my leg, but there isn't anything there and on a couple of occasions---you know when you rub a balloon on your arm or head and you get that static feeling? I've had that on my ankle....weird??? I tried to explain to my daughter that I felt like a balloon was sticking to my ankle and she gave me that 13 year old look!

I don't know what's up with me lately. I've feeling quite depressed and that is odd because I'm already on wellbutrin xl. Having a little trouble with the patience part of this and feeling like my upcoming appointment is not going to yield anymore information toward a diagnosis. I feel like my husband and kids are tired of the whole thing and just like I've heard many times here and others places....when others can't SEE the physical stuff...well, there must not be anything too wrong with you. Just like with my own kids not understanding that perfumes and scented stuff triggers a migraine for me, but they will still wear it. I have sometimes told them I wish it triggered an asthma attack instead because that is something they could actually SEE! I supposed the depression is helped by the fact that I turned 41 on Sunday (ugh) and I probably feel 50. The company my husband work for is also about to sell and although it seems that everything will stay the same, you just never know and he is stressed. He is also upset because he has been the highest salesman for their company in over the past 15 years and they've been making him promises to buy into the company blah, blah, blah....and now they won't.
    Oh ...sorry. This got out of hand. Anyway...I was just really wondering about the leg stuff!! LOL guess I needed to talk also!
    Thanks,
    Julie

Oh...I forgot. I know when I am in the really hot weather for an extended period of time, it can really aggravate the tingling in my face (most of the time it isn't very noticable). But I have noticed that when I eat something very cold, like ice cream or slushes, it also makes it much more noticable. Does anyone else get this w/ both hot and cold? It's weird b/c the facial numbness originally came on after a night of being out when it was really cold at a carnival with the kids and I had to find hot chocolate to keep warm! The next day I thought I had burned my tongue on the hot chocolate (which really wasn't even that hot!) but it ended up in full blown facial numbness in 3 days. ok...done now. Really.

Last edited by hischik; 08-05-2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: forgot something!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User
    Re: shocks, itches, cold feelings.

Hi, Julie. Re: the itching, there was a thread about this just last week!

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=621491[/url]

I hope the appointment brings some answers for you. It might be helpful to look at the link in the thread on top of the page called "The Differential Diagnosis..." It lists the diagnostic criteria for MS as well as many of the MS mimics.

Let us know how you make out!

Old 08-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
    april1848
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

april1848 HB User

Hello! I'm pretty sure the thread that Beary mentioned is the one I started. I too have been having severe itching. It began in my calves, and is now in my thighs too. You're right, nothing helps, although some meds like Neurontin may help. I want to see if this passes before I try that though.

My itching is accompanied by electrical shocks and spasms...I totally understand what you're going through.

Keep us updated on your journey to a diagnosis, and remember you're not alone!
    Stopped 4/10 due to no insurance.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi Hischick. Thank you for saying hello to me! You asked how the new job is...well, its a paycheck. I still havent made up my mind. Its boring, thats for sure. Its also airconditioned, comfortable and the people are mature grownups. Compared to my last place of employment, that, initself, is a blessing! However, this job is a means to finding the next one. I already know that> I cant possibly see myself there a year from now. But, thank you for asking...

As for you- you seem to be dealing with quite a bit! Husbands work problems, people not understanding, symtoms...it gets to you after awhile, doesnt it? I truly do understand. We all do.

You have to just cope sweetie. For now, thats all you can do. The MS journey is never boring thats for sure! No matter how long you have it, you never get used to the changes that come with it...and they do come often.

As you can see here, others have experienced your itching issues- I havent, not to the extent that everyone seems to be talking about, but I can relate to the being in the heat one. I have extensive nerve damage in my hand and fingers- when Im outside in the heat for more than 10 minutes, especiially in high humidity, they scream in pain! I have also noticed that If I am too close to an airconditioning vent, it happens then, too. Its got to be nerve pain because changes in the temp are what aggravates it the most, but heat/humidity is definately 100x worse then cold. All you can do is attempt to stay inside when its like that. You mentioned being outside for extended periods of time- dont do it. Stay inside and only go out for short periods of time. There are plenty of nerve drugs on the market (Lyrica, neurontin even Cymbalta) none of them have helped me and Ive tried all of them...what it is, is MS...

i hope you feel better soon..and let us know how you are.
    hugs,
    nikki

Old 08-06-2008, 01:38 AM   #5
    parisiancat
    (female)

parisiancat HB User

Hi Hischick,

I had that itching too, during an attack. Calomine didn't make any difference to me either - it wasn't my skin that was itchy, it was a deep itch inside my arms. The best thing I found was to just keep cool and to not wear any sleeves. It's definitely a horrible symptom. I hope you get some relief from it soon.

Cat x

Last edited by parisiancat; 08-06-2008 at 01:39 AM.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
    glamour girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glamour girl HB User

Hi Hischik,
    I also have that awful itching on my legs. Nothing really has made it disappear. Although i must say i've been using pinetarsol lotion on and off a bit over the week. It relieves the itch but only a bit. I've been stinking the house down. The stuff is discusting. I also noticed if i wear synthetic firbe instead of cotton. It seems to be worse. Even stockings are annoying.
    i hope you find some relief. Sorry ii cant help you with anything more promising. just wanted to tell you, yr not alone here.

Closed Thread