HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Aleve & Alcohol (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/623765-aleve-alcohol.html)

glamour girl 08-06-2008 03:09 AM

Aleve & Alcohol

I'm having my injection tonight. I take one Aleve half hour before my Avonex.
My question is can i have a glass of wine on the same night ????

I've never had one before but, I've Got a social dinner on. Wanted to have ONE drink.
;)

MSNik 08-06-2008 04:37 AM

Re: Aleve & Alcohol

Go for it, Glamour Girl and have one for me, too! ;) How you react to alcohol is probably more in tune with the shot, not the Aleve...I know on shot days, especially, one glass seems to equal more like two for me! Something about Rebif makes me drunk - faster! But, Aleve will not interfere with having a drink at all....so go, and enjoy!
Hugs
Nikki

hotflash 08-06-2008 10:05 AM

Glamour Girl

I asked this of my neuro before and he said if I wanted a glass of champagne at the wedding go for it and have fun. As long as I didn't have to much to drink or mix what I was drinking I would have no problems that it was tylonel that affects you and only after drinking for a long period of time, sooo have a couple (depending on what you can handle)lol, and have a worry free good time.

hotflash

MSJayhawk 08-06-2008 10:26 AM

"Do not drink alcohol while taking Aleve. Alcohol can increase the risk of stomach bleeding caused by Aleve. Avoid exposure to sunlight or artificial UV rays (sunlamps or tanning beds). Aleve can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight and sunburn may result. "

This is from online info regarding Aleve. The alcohol applies to Tylenol and any ibuprofen too. Liver concerns arise with Tylenol and Ibuprofen when alcohol is a consumed.

MSNik 08-06-2008 10:47 AM

Jayhawk, I hate to tell you this, but the info you quoted is from 1996. There is a newer reprint out, stating that if you take Aleve, and drink less than 3 alcholohic beverages a day - it is safe. (also, on the bottle I have, it states this).

Ive spoken to my doctor about this, and about the fact that taking 1 Aleve a day every OTHER day (preinjection) was starting to worry me. The tests have proven, that liver damage and stomache upset was from taking 4-6 pills a day DAILY. NO ONE should be taking that amount!

Most of us here, who take Aleve take only 1 pill, 1/2 hour preinjection. With that TINY dose, theres nothing to worry about..
Go ahead GG, enjoy your glass of wine! Ive done it hundreds of times, and drank alittle more than that in Mexico on vacation and have never had any side effects, I even got my doctor's ok!
Just dont do it regularly, or you will be having more problems then "MS"!:cool:

glamour girl 08-06-2008 09:38 PM

You guys rock !!!!! :D :D

Thanks for answering that for me. I've always said no to a drink. Thinking it would interfere. Honestly i think i could only handle one drink on the night anyway. Otherwise I'll be out like a light on the couch. Doesn't take me long to get tipsy these days.

Another thing too... All your replies to my post came up on my e-mails ????

Its never happened before.. Maybe a Moderator can jump in here

and answer that one. :confused: