It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• What were your initial symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User
    What were your initial symptoms

Hi guys. What were your initital symptoms of MS? Also, did it all come on at once or gradually.

I am going to be getting an MRI to test for MS and other potential causes for my symptoms...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
    Nenu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nenu HB User
    Re: What were your initial symptoms

You know, I initially thought my first symptom was vertigo (true to MS linked symptom that is). Now in hindsight, I'm not entirely sure.

When I was diagnosed, my neurologist figured I'd had MS for at least 5 years (based on my MRI films and other findings).

The vertigo only occurred last summer, and I was diagnosed March 2008. I had gone off work due to chronic facial pain (left side) and walking up in what I described at the time as "convulsions".

I now actually believe my first 'symptom' was something that hit me out of the blue that was similar to what I've seen Trigeminal Neuralgia described as. Left side of my head, intense stabbing shooting pain that brought me to my knees. It was the worst pain I had felt in my head, period, until my spinal headache after my lumbar puncture during my MS diagnosis.

That head pain would place me around the exact time that my neurologist suspects that I started my disease course. I had the same type of pain attack 4-5 times over a couple months a few years ago, and then mysteriously those pains disappeared. I have not had a similar attack of stabbing pain since, but I do deal with head pains quite a lot.

The more "MS like" symptoms, such as vertigo/L'Hermittes/girdle banding/numbness and pins & needles came within the last year.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Hmm, I have had "electrical type" head pains for years. Like quick short stabs to my head that would stop me in my tracks. I had an MRI for these two years ago but it came back okay. My neuro said they were ice pick headaches....

Old 09-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
    april1848
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

april1848 HB User

I had L'hermittes Syndrome, which is an electrical feeling; mine went from my neck to my toes, anytime I moved my neck. It started all of a sudden, while I was sitting in my office! I also had a very severe stabbing pain in one small area of my back. I really thought I had a pinched nerve.

Prior to this, years ago, I was sent to the ER by my boss once because my entire left arm went numb, starting with the fingers and ending at my shoulder. It went away that night. I've had tremors, especially in my hands, since my teens. I've had very bad sensitivity to heat since my late teens. It all makes sense in hindsight!
    Stopped 4/10 due to no insurance.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

woke up one day with a numb, tingling left hand and fingers...thought I had slept on it wrong...after 3 days, went to dr to see if it could be carpal tunnel, when that was ruled out, a CT scan was ordered to look for a pinched nerve....that led to a very good radiologist who knew something wasnt right- called in a Neuro, who led me to a MRI...50+ lesions later- MS was probable. A spinal tap and history later, and MS was for sure..
    Looking back, I had had an entire year of tripping, heat sensitivity getting out of the shower and in the sun- dizzness, balance issues, lots of MS related symtoms which I had just ignored.....

Old 09-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
    Delilah008
    (female)

Delilah008 HB User
    Wink Re: What were your initial symptoms

I've had sensitivity to heat since my late teenage years. I can't stand sunbathing or spending too long in the sun 'cause my skin feels like it's on fire.

The first real "MS" symptom I can remember was numbness and tingling in my left leg whenever I took the dog out for a long walk. I was 19 that summer. It last for a few weeks then went away. About a year or so after that I started developing pain in my chest. I now attribute them to MS hugs, but at the time I was in school and stressed and thought it was 'cause by stress. (The doctor I went to did and EKG and then totally dismissed it).

I've also had a moment of vertigo when I was about 23 while sitting at a desk typing. The room literally spun but only for what seemed like half a second.

I also has urge incontinence start somewhere between 21-22 on and off for years. I could go weeks or months having to wear pads because I just couldn't get to the bathroom on time and then long stretches where everything worked perfectly.

I've also had "ice pick headaches" since being a late teenager. They usually affect the right side of my head. Over the past 4-5 years I've had similar pain in toes, fingers, wrist, leg or forearms. It feels like a horrible stabbing pain that's coming from the inside, "ice pick body parts"?

I'm 26 now. You'd think that with all these symptoms, someone might have put it all together earlier and thought it was odd for an otherwise healthy early 20-something to have urge incontinence, chest pain, heat sensitivity, and vertigo.

Oh, yeah. Forgot to mention the random dizziness that developed about 3 years ago. And last year, just a few months prior to getting diagnosed, I developed tingling and numbness in the first two fingers of each hand. Sometimes at the same time, sometimes individually. It would come and go randomly until just before I was diagnosed when it stayed for over a week. The neuro thought it was a symptom, I just thought I fell asleep badly and pinched a nerve. (Not to mention I was doing martial arts at the time and had take some bad spills onto my head).

Hindsight is definitely 20/20.

Last edited by Delilah008; 09-02-2008 at 05:30 PM.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

Something was wrong with my eye and it turned out to be Optic Neuritis, an eye condition very closely associated with MS. I did have some other sx but nothing I couldn't (and didn't) ignore. MS was not on my radar at all!!! As far as really initial sx go though? That's a hard question for many of us to answer. There are things dating back loooong ago for me that MIGHT have been MS related. My doctor thinks I've had MS for a very long time BUT there is no way of absolutely proving it.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
    cknmbbl
    Veteran
    (female)

cknmbbl HB User

MSNIK,
    Could I ask what kind of balance issues you had in the beginning? Thank you very much.

CK

Old 09-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Wow so my icepick headaches could be part of MS? Does MS always show up on an MRI as the reason I had an MRI last yr was due to the ice pick stabbing headaches. The body pain I have---feels like ice pick type pains at times too. I have also been getting dizzy, in fact I complained about it a few times for about 6 months before I started getting pains..........

Joint cracking though...could that be MS related? I mean it is out of control!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #10
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

Yes, headaches CAN be related to MS but it's not a given. You can have MS and have headaches that are not related to MS although in some cases they definitely are.

Disease activity is what causes lesions so that comes before the scarring. It can sometimes take a very long time for lesions to show up. In cases where there is enough evidence to suspect MS but the MRI is inconclusive or clear the doctor will usually want to do an LP to see if anything shows up.

As mentioned before, joint cracking sounds more like Lyme or something else but to say something is utterly impossible with MS is usually a mistake! But as with the headaches, it is possible it can be a completely separate issue. Point is -- it's not always MS, even if you have MS.

Last edited by Bearygood; 09-02-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #11
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi you asked what kind of balance issues I had in the beginning....sounds strange looking back, but in my 20s, I did alot of modeling, and wore alot of 4 and 5 inch heels! I used to be able to dance the night away in them and never thought twice about it..in my early 30s I noticed that when I wore normal 3 inch heels, I was always off balance and actually thought it was because I wasnt used to the heel height. As things progressed, even lower heels were cuasing me to tip over on occasion. Then, I fell down the stairs in my house, thought I was getting clutzy and missed a step, but the second time it happend, I was coming down and felt like I couldnt feel the step, and missed...down I went, with 10 stitches in my head to boot!

I also felt like I couldnt always walk straight, my husband used to tell me that I walked into him. Id walk, with my hand on his belt loop, to keep a straight line...all of this, I attributed to balance.

I dont know if that helps you, but thats what I meant when I mentioned it...

Oh, and I read on another post that the poster said that heat sensitivity made her skin feel like it was burning...Im not sure if that is true or not in MS terms..but in MS terms, heat sensitivity means when you get out of the heat, or out of a hot shower, or even overheated from exercise or overexhertion- you get dizzy and a sense of your head not being connected to your body- it can cause cognitive problems and even vertigo- it can cause the body temp to go up very quickly (maybe thats why she felt a skin burn? I dont know) but overall, heat sensitivity is more of a physical disconnect more then an actual hot flash or burning feeling...I wanted to mention this because it was probably the most unusual of all my "first" symtoms which I ignored and thought I was imagining..
    Nikki

Old 09-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #12
    DavidLeeK
    (male)

DavidLeeK HB User

my initial symptoms was 6 years ago with tingling in my legs, doctors did x-rays and said don't see anything wrong, you have to push doctors, because if my spine looked okay and my legs still tingled, that means something else was wrong

happened again about 3 years ago, as first time went away after a couple of months

then this year, happened all in short amount of time:
    motor problems on right side
    neck, shoulder, arm, hand and fingers went numb
    bladder issues
    sensation/tingling on left side from chest to toes
    blurred vision

Old 09-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #13
    cknmbbl
    Veteran
    (female)

cknmbbl HB User

Thanks for the info. It is very helpful. Nikki, would it be correct to say that your balance wasn't a constant issue? Have a great day!

CK

Old 02-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
    slsmith1122
    (female)

slsmith1122 HB User
    Unhappy Re: What were your initial symptoms

My symptoms started 11 years ago. I had my first migraine. Then tingling legs, went numb. I went to a neurologist, he ordered an MRI, said there were no lesions, but water around brain, so he put me on diamox.(?)Basically, i started feeling better & never went back.
    5 years later, my hands & fingers went numb with strong stabbing pains, to the point i was in tears. I went to the chiropractor, that day, started the first of 18 treatments of streching my neck on some sort of machine. However, after the first few treatments, my hands quit hurting.
    Was that coincidence, or remission? I don't know. Sx went away. Now, for the past 10 days, with a new symptom each day, I started having prickly feeling on left side of face, the next day it was the whole left side of my body. the next day it was my arms, legs, & face tingling. then the leg cramps, armcramps, fatique, muscle weakness.....etc. new things that had not happened before. I went to the ER this past Monday, they done an MRI, negative. Labs negative. Doc said i needed to go to Neurologist. \That he may want to do a lumbar puncture. I have made an appt with a new neuro in town, but it is weeks before i can see him. Does this all sound like MS?

Old 02-21-2009, 06:41 AM   #15
    Carol72
    (female)

Carol72 HB User

My first recognizable symptom (or at least the one that alerted me to something not being right) was "dullness" in my left thigh. Over a few days, the dullness spread to my calf and down to my foot. I hesitate to call it numbness as I still had feeling--could feel me touching my leg, could feel my shoe on my foot, etc. The best way to describe it is that if I scratched my bare thigh, it felt like I was scratching it through a blanket. At the time, I was pursing an MRI of my lumbar spine as I had just coincidentally hurt my back and a pinched nerve was suspected (the MRI did in fact show a herniated disc). In the meantime, while on the oral steroids for my leg, my right hand got progressively weaker to the point where I was JUST functional.

As a result of the hand weakness, and no response to the oral steroids, I was sent for an cervical and thoracic MRI which showed one lesions in each of these areas. I was then sent for a brain MRI which also showed lesions, and was diagnosed with MS that day.

Closed Thread