It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Question regarding Lhermitte's and Optic Neuritis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-09-2008, 07:55 AM   #16
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User
    Re: Question regarding Lhermitte's and Optic Neuritis

K26, great to see your update!! I missed that you were dxed and/or were starting treatment!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #17
    sunshine149
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine149 HB User

I was hospitalized in Feb of 1997 for 5 days and given IV steroids. All tests were clear including LP and MRI scan. About 14 months later I had another scan due to an acute attack of vertigo and this scan showed a few lesions. The initial flare-up was about 12 years ago. Hard to believe it's been that long! At the time I was in the hospital, was discharged with an MS-Probable DX but it wasn't until the scan 14 months later that it became MS-Definite.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:14 AM   #18
    nokia1
    (male)

nokia1 HB User

So the MRI shown your lesions 14 months later?

Old 12-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #19
    sunshine149
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine149 HB User

Yes, it was 14 months after initial symptoms.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:03 AM   #20
    nokia1
    (male)

nokia1 HB User

Also do you have Lhermittes when you lying in bed ? Or only when you sit in the chair? I have it also when I'm standing.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #21
    sunshine149
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine149 HB User

I don't have the symptom anymore but I would get it all the time, I'd roll over in bed... ZAP, I'd sit down or get up from a chair... ZAP ZAP! I'de brush my hair.. ZAP ZAP ZAP!!! I always think that whatever MS symptom I'm experiencing is the worst one I've had but honestly, Lhermitte's has been the WORST, even worse than ON I think...

Old 12-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #22
    mommy2em
    (female)

mommy2em HB User

I read the previous comments and just wanted to add my story, for what it's worth. YES YOU CAN have normal MRI's of the brain/cervical spine and still have MS. I am living proof. I had normal scans but MS symptoms (and yes I also had multiple symptoms at once on my very first "attack" or onset) and my cervical lesion did NOT show up for the first couple MRI's but eventually DID show up this last time. I asked the neuro if this was unusual and he said ABSOLUTELY not. A lot of MRIs are not sensitive enough to pick them up and a lot of time they are (as he put it) "brewing" in the neck/brain before actually appearing.

I would not ignore any neurological signs. They are happening for a reason. I have (still have) Lhermitte's and mine is not the typical electrical shock type either -- never have I felt a shock, more like a vibration, or pulling sensation, surge sensation -- and it has never been in my spine, but my arms, legs, abdomen, etc. It can happen in one finger, one toe, one ankle, etc.

good luck to you and i hope you get some answers.

anyone who wants to, feel free to message me.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #23
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Its so odd as the neuros I speak to say its so rare yet I meet people on these boards w clear MRIS who later was dx with MS. Mommy, did you have an LP at the time of your MRIS? I assume no since there were no findings?

What was your first multiple symptoms that hit all at once? My syptoms hit all over my body within one week, for example a pain in a random toe for one minute then it would go away and hours later hit a finger on the opposite side of my body, then to a random ankle. The neuros I spoke to referenced this type of fleeting migrating pains onset all at once are not typical for MS. Also, pains did not hit non stop in one area typically for more than an hr. Also when my twitching started it hit my ENTIRE body at once which they said would be odd too. They said MS symptoms usually coorelate with the part of the brain/spine that is effected and its not possible for so many to be effected to interfere with my entire body at onset.

Who knows....I guess time will tell in my case. However, lately I have felt btr so maybe it really is lyme--or maybe a flare.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:36 AM   #24
    nokia1
    (male)

nokia1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mommy2em View Post
    I read the previous comments and just wanted to add my story, for what it's worth. YES YOU CAN have normal MRI's of the brain/cervical spine and still have MS. I am living proof. I had normal scans but MS symptoms (and yes I also had multiple symptoms at once on my very first "attack" or onset) and my cervical lesion did NOT show up for the first couple MRI's but eventually DID show up this last time. I asked the neuro if this was unusual and he said ABSOLUTELY not. A lot of MRIs are not sensitive enough to pick them up and a lot of time they are (as he put it) "brewing" in the neck/brain before actually appearing.

I would not ignore any neurological signs. They are happening for a reason. I have (still have) Lhermitte's and mine is not the typical electrical shock type either -- never have I felt a shock, more like a vibration, or pulling sensation, surge sensation -- and it has never been in my spine, but my arms, legs, abdomen, etc. It can happen in one finger, one toe, one ankle, etc.

good luck to you and i hope you get some answers.

anyone who wants to, feel free to message me.
    What MS symptoms do you have ? Leg reflexes abnormal ? Babinski present? What about your brain MRI?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #25
    nokia1
    (male)

nokia1 HB User

No new posts . I do not know how to prove MS or not to?

Also I have Vibrations/buzz when I'm standing while I flex my neck down, I have pain in the left shoulder and left arm weakness time to time. Isn't this pointing to my "mild" stenosis?
    For example when I'm traveling with car and If I try to sleep and my neck is lean back to the seat. When I wake up I have strong pain in the shoulder and down the arm? Why is that I'm not moving I'm sleeping? But my neck is flexed opposite side not down to my chest as always...

Could someone with Lhermites and MS explain , does he has shock/zap when is standing ?

Last edited by nokia1; 01-10-2009 at 06:10 AM.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #26
    nokia1
    (male)

nokia1 HB User

Hello, I had another C-spine MRI today again clear, but I have C7 -Th1 herniated disks, maybe its causing Lhermittes.

Closed Thread