It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• transverse myelitis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
    deb a
    (female)

deb a HB User
    transverse myelitis?

Hi, not sure if I spelled that right but anyway I am so confused right now. I went into the hospital on jan 1st and dr's did 2 mri's and was told that it was consistent with ms. I had a couple lesions on brain and a fairly large lesion on spine ( I think the dr. said it was on t1) I was on IV steroids for 3 days and now on prednisone for about 3 weeks. My legs,feet and the tingling is much better but my hands and arms seem to be getting worse. I went to my dr. appt yesterday and the dr. ordered an lp and talked to me about diff meds for ms but he also kept saying transverse myelitis. Is transverse myelitis similar to ms or is it a kind of ms? Any opinions, advice would be appreciated. thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
    Carol72
    (female)

Carol72 HB User
    Re: transverse myelitis?

I'm not 100% sure the answer to your question, but that is a term I heard from a neurologist before I had any MRIs. He said that based on my symptoms at the time. I believe he thought it something to do with my spine--at the time, he said it could have been MS lesions, general inflammation, a tumor or a pocket of fluid. Since then, both a spine MRI and brain MRI showed lesions indicative of MS. I did not get an LP.

My situation sounds similar to yours in that I had numbness and tingling on one side (my armpit to my foot) and weakness on the other (mainly hand, but also mildly leg as well). I did the IV steroids and prednisone (symptoms improved greatly) and started Rebif.

Last edited by Carol72; 01-22-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
    deb a
    (female)

deb a HB User

Thanks, I think that my dr. is going to start me on rebif also, that was one of the meds that he kept mentioning. thanks again

Old 01-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
    Carol72
    (female)

Carol72 HB User

I just did some quick research. It appears that transverse myelitis is simply a description of symptoms related to the spinal cord that could indicate various diseases, one of which is MS.

I could be wrong here, BUT it appears that it doesn't involve areas of the brain. That is why I wasn't given an MS diagnosis until the lesions were found on my brain. If no lesions were found on my brain, I most likely would have been given an LP to rule out other disorders then I guess possibly diagnosed with transverse myelitis if nothing else was found. If you have lesions on your brain as well as your spine then it's most likely MS. However, that is my opinion and I am in no way a medical professional.

Try doing an internet search yourself, and you'll be able to read all that for yourself

Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
    deb a
    (female)

deb a HB User

Hi, thank you, I have a couple of lesions on the brain so I am thinking the dr is probably thinking ms. Thanks again

Closed Thread