It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• flu like symptoms and sharp stabbing sensations?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
    Albertagirl
    (female)

Albertagirl HB User
    Question flu like symptoms and sharp stabbing sensations?

Hi,

was just wondering how many of you if any also suffer from periods of flu like symptoms.
    I get these aches and pains now and then especially when I am overtired or have overdone it.
    The worst is during temperature changes.
    I find that my muscles ache and seems to get spasms more when I am feeling this way.
    I just ache all over, really feels like I have the flu but I dont.
    Get really stiff muscles and hurts to get moving again after sitting down.
    At times it also feels like I have gotten a good beating and actually feel bruised and sore. No bruises though. lol

Another thing is the stabbing.
    I get them off and on mainly in the fingertips and tips of my toes.
    My middle finger in right hand has been especially bothersome for the last 4 days.
    Feels like someone has stuck a needle from my fingertip underneath the fingernail all the way up the the second knuckle.
    I cannot touch anything with that finger cause it only intensifies the sensation.
    If I do actually touch something with it it feels like someone is repeatedly driving this invisible needle deeper and harder.

Had a very stressful past week involving health issues regarding my son.
    Maybe this has brought these symptoms on?

Anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Re: flu like symptoms and sharp stabbing sensations?

Stress could be the origin of your problems.

For me, too, the symptoms you described are familiar. Generally if not accompanied by a fever, I will file the problems in my MS folder. Before my fingers get really sensitive, as you described, I have signs I quickly notice. Plastic shopping bags or trash bags and certain paper stock (such as some newspapers) will "bother" me. That is, I do not like the feeling or the sensation. I take care not to touch them and I try to relax. The sensation can linger for weeks. The only way to know if it is getting better is to try it.

The sore muscles, yes, I, too, understand that pain. Physical strain/ over-work/ over-exercise....there are a multitude of possible culprits- including stress. The temperature change is one trigger I cannot control. I can understand your problem.

Though your job as Mom is tough, it is important that you get adequate sleep. If your "sleep savings account" is in the red, a single weekend will not replenish you. Lack of sleep affects many people with MS. A VA study here in the states noted the high percentage of sleep problems associated with MS patients. Though it may be difficult, try to find a way to get more rest. Yes, I realize a sick child means some sacrifice, but if you are not healthy, how will you be able to provide quality care for your child?

Rest assured that you are not alone with your dilemma. Having a sick child is quite stressful. I can well empathize with your situation. You are still in my prayers.

Closed Thread